Ryzen 7 2700 or Ryzen 7 3700?

Picao84

Veteran
Hey, I'm toying with getting a new PC build, while keeping the GTX1060 I already have on my current Core i5 4590 build. Last weekend I was doing some hefty changes in an old Android app of mine and was horrified when compilation was taking almost 10 minutes and using 100% of the i5 four cores.

I'm dead set on 32GB RAM, an X570 mobo and 1TB Samsung SSD. The CPU is the hardest choice. Is it worth it to go with Ryzen 7 3700X? Do you think it does really bring a worth improvement over the 2700X for work tasks? I've greedily looked at the Ryzen 9 9300 but for that I would need to trade of the 32 GB RAM for 16.

What do you think I should do? Thanks

Correction: build times, not compile times that's very fast. The build is done on Samsung EVO SSD so that shouldn't be there issue.

Last edited:
Ah my bad. For some reason the 2700x is much more expensive than the 2700 on amazon.com.

Still, if you are set on a x570 board I don't see the point in getting a 2700. Does it offer any real upgrades over the old chipset other than pcie4 (which isn't supported by the 2700?)?

Also, isn't the 4000 series supposed to be the last cpu compatible with the current socket?

IIRC you're better served with a 6-core Zen 2 than with a 8-core Zen 1.5, for compilation tasks.
https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3489-amd-ryzen-5-3600-cpu-review-benchmarks-vs-intel
(check the Production Benchmarks)
That Ryzen 5 3600 might be a better choice than the 2700X, and the price is practically the same.

Though to be honest, if the CPU is your bottleneck and you don't really need 32GB of RAM, then you're better off going with the 3700X or even 3900 with 8+8GB RAM.
It's much easier (and probably cheaper) to just add another 8+8GB later on than to change the CPU if you need to.

Furthermore, with next-gen consoles using Zen 2, I suspect there will be many games making heavy use of AVX2 come 2021. That might put heavy bottlenecks on Zen 1 / 1.5 cores.
You can probably compensate the 25% lower amount of cores (8 vs 6 cores) by clocking your 6-core CPU 33% higher than the consoles (e.g. if consoles are 3.2GHz, get your CPU towards 4.3GHz). There's no easy way to compensate for half the AVX2 performance on the Zen 1 architecture.

IMO, if the 3700X is within your budget, I would go for it. Higher clocks and PCIe4 with the new chipset you can utilize later. And stick with 32Gb RAM, I wouldn't buy a new PC without it. 16Gb is the new 8Gb, especially with the new consoles coming out this year.

what kind of work task? if its for the usual office stuff, any of those are already overpowered. For video encoding, IIRC Zen 2 is much faster (more than 25% faster). While for other stuff Zen 2 is around 10% faster than zen+

what kind of work task? if its for the usual office stuff, any of those are already overpowered. For video encoding, IIRC Zen 2 is much faster (more than 25% faster). While for other stuff Zen 2 is around 10% faster than zen+

Non-gaming/Graphics Software Development

Ah my bad. For some reason the 2700x is much more expensive than the 2700 on amazon.com.

Still, if you are set on a x570 board I don't see the point in getting a 2700. Does it offer any real upgrades over the old chipset other than pcie4 (which isn't supported by the 2700?)?

Also, isn't the 4000 series supposed to be the last cpu compatible with the current socket?

So you think I should wait for Zen 4 or whatever comes after Zen 3 (assuming Zen 3 is the 4000 series)..

IIRC you're better served with a 6-core Zen 2 than with a 8-core Zen 1.5, for compilation tasks.
https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3489-amd-ryzen-5-3600-cpu-review-benchmarks-vs-intel
(check the Production Benchmarks)
That Ryzen 5 3600 might be a better choice than the 2700X, and the price is practically the same.

Though to be honest, if the CPU is your bottleneck and you don't really need 32GB of RAM, then you're better off going with the 3700X or even 3900 with 8+8GB RAM.
It's much easier (and probably cheaper) to just add another 8+8GB later on than to change the CPU if you need to.

Furthermore, with next-gen consoles using Zen 2, I suspect there will be many games making heavy use of AVX2 come 2021. That might put heavy bottlenecks on Zen 1 / 1.5 cores.
You can probably compensate the 25% lower amount of cores (8 vs 6 cores) by clocking your 6-core CPU 33% higher than the consoles (e.g. if consoles are 3.2GHz, get your CPU towards 4.3GHz). There's no easy way to compensate for half the AVX2 performance on the Zen 1 architecture.

That's great advice thanks! Haven't considered the Ryzen 5 but it makes a lot of sense it seems. I probably go ahead with 32GB RAM mostly to prevent against RAM price hikes!

yeah for software development, higher IPC is more important. So i agree with the idea to go with Ryzen 5 zen2.

Hey, I'm toying with getting a new PC build, while keeping the GTX1060 I already have on my current Core i5 4590 build. Last weekend I was doing some hefty changes in an old Android app of mine and was horrified when compilation was taking almost 10 minutes and using 100% of the i5 four cores.

I'm dead set on 32GB RAM, an X570 mobo and 1TB Samsung SSD. The CPU is the hardest choice. Is it worth it to go with Ryzen 7 3700X? Do you think it does really bring a worth improvement over the 2700X for work tasks? I've greedily looked at the Ryzen 9 9300 but for that I would need to trade of the 32 GB RAM for 16.

What do you think I should do? Thanks

Correction: build times, not compile times that's very fast. The build is done on Samsung EVO SSD so that shouldn't be there issue.

Definitely a Ryzen 3xxx CPU. The memory support is far better even when using the exact same motherboard, like I did when I upgraded my CPU but kept the same MB. Not only was I able to run the memory at a higher speed, but I was able to run 4 sticks of memory at those speeds where I couldn't even do those speeds with 2 sticks of memory previously much less 4 sticks (memory speed dropped dramatically in that case).

So now, I'm running 4 sticks of mixed capacity and mixed manufacturer memory (48 GB) at speeds I couldn't manage with 2 sticks of matched memory on a Ryzen 3700x with an x370 based MB (Taichi x370).

Regards,
SB

So now, I'm running 4 sticks of mixed capacity and mixed manufacturer memory (48 GB) at speeds I couldn't manage with 2 sticks of matched memory on a Ryzen 3700x with an x370 based MB (Taichi x370).
That's good to know. I'm running a 2600X now on X370 but I want to upgrade to at least 32Gb RAM so I might update the CPU at the same time.

Also if you decide to add more memory at a later date you may discover you cant actually buy the same dimms (as I found out)
ps : quick quiz Can you guess what size these dimms are
H4o6Cxm.jpg

pps: according to hardware unboxed (youtube channel) amd has discounted ryzen 3000 cpu's
(1:25 mark)

Last edited:
Well, after a lot of thought (and since I can use the cost as business expenses for my small app business) and seeing how PS5 turned out, I decided to go all out! I'm going with a Ryzen 9 3900X and still 32GB RAM and a Seagate M2 SSD. Should be much more future proof than my aging Core i5 4590 anyway. Keeping the GTX1060 as graphics cards are ridiculously expensive right now. Hope RDNA2 helps with that.

Too bad the 65W Ryzen 9 3900 never seemed to have been produced... That seemed like a great CPU performance/power wise.

Too bad the 65W Ryzen 9 3900 never seemed to have been produced... That seemed like a great CPU performance/power wise.
It exists, but as an OEM product only. You can easily get one in a complete system from one of the many custom PC outfits, at least around Europe.

Back