Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

the PS5 hardware seems very great...except for that bandwidth...if they can just get up to high 400's that would be fine. But to have the same amount of resources as the equivalent RDNA 1 GPU split between the CPU and GPU both with 448...it feels artificially limiting in the same way Pro's bandwidth was

I've said so before, but i really hope there is a way for them to upclock that ram before launch. IIRC MS did it with XB1 before launch IIRC...or was that the GPU?

XB1, 9% upclock on CPU, 6.6% upclock on GPU.

Swapping out 14gbps ram for 16gbps would be expensive, likely tens of dollars of additional BOM cost.

Swapping out 14gbps ram for 16gbps would be expensive, likely tens of dollars of additional BOM cost.

The two consoles needs 16 Gbps RAM. The Xbox is more powerful but the bandwidth could be better and not help by the two different memory type.

For example, PS5 have more bandwidth by CU than Xbox Series X. A PS5 with 512 GB/s or bandwidth would be much better, the same for an Xbox Series X 10 GB 640 GB/ and 6 GB 384 GB/s.

Last edited:

Not all that technically minded, but i've picked up some of the basics over the years. I guess increasing the bandwidth speed of the current ram would be unfeasible without swapping out completely brand new chips huh..not really sure how these things work.

I'm wondering how limiting a factor it will be in the end in utilizing the components in the PS5 as a future owner.

Looking from the outside, i didnt expect MS to have a similar issue with Xbox Series X regarding bandwidth considering how (supposedly)overkill the bandwidth was on the X.

I guess costs factored into it.

Not all that technically minded, but i've picked up some of the basics over the years. I guess increasing the bandwidth speed of the current ram would be unfeasible without swapping out completely brand new chips huh..not really sure how these things work.

I'm wondering how limiting a factor it will be in the end in utilizing the components in the PS5 as a future owner.

Looking from the outside, i didnt expect MS to have a similar issue with Xbox Series X regarding bandwidth considering how (supposedly)overkill the bandwidth was on the X.

I guess costs factored into it.

This is more complicated than that. First 448/36 = 12.44 and 560/52=10.77 but for TMU or RT the global bandwidth is more important for Xbox. After the more you use the 336 gB/s bandwidth the more you lose 560 GB/s. For example if I remember well Zen2 CPU use DDR4 dual channel if the CPU use 51.2 GB/s of memory bandwidht it means the bandwidth diminish and it is 560-51.2 = 508 GB/s. I suppose this CPU will need less bandwidth it will be interesting to see what memory is associated with the equivalent PC CPU.

And this is only a simplification of the reality.

Last edited:
Can we go on the record to say PS5 supports VRS at this point since it's RDNA 2.0 based? I still find it a bit weird it wasn't mentioned in the presentation by Cerny, is it something he forgot about or do they have their own equivalent solution?

https://fallenshard.github.io/fluid-style-transfer.html

Link on the thesis

realtime rendering of data driven fluid simulation with transfer style

For my Master Thesis, I was working on the problem of real-time fluid rendering and style transfer. The goal was to improve the rendering methods for a machine-learning based physics simulation technology that was developed by my supervisors. The developed methods allow rendering of water, foam, granular materials and smoke.

In the end, the resulting paper was sent to SIGGRAPH 2017 Real-time Live! and its submission can be seen in the video above.

In addition to that, I've experimented with real-time style transfer methods that could be used for procedural texturing, stylistic level design and ethereal sequences in video games. At the time of development, real-time style transfer was not yet an explored topic, and we have barely succeeded using latest generation GPUs in conjunction with fast stylization using neural networks.

Some of the produced stylized captures are featured in the videos below.

https://blog.siggraph.org/2019/04/p...learning-for-real-time-fluid-simulation.html/

EDIT:

http://apagom.com/physicsforests/downloads/

• System Requirements:
    • OS: Windows (64-bit), Linux (64-bit, compiled on Ubuntu 16)
    • GPU: NVidia Graphics cards
      • Minimum GTX 1060 (Compute capability 6.1), recommended GTX 1080
        • Demo does not run on GTX 980 or below
        • Not tested on GTX2080 series (some problems reported)
      • CUDA: Minimum 8.0
  • File size: 510MB
  • A download link will be sent to your email.

Last edited:
http://theorangeduck.com/page/subspace-neural-physics-fast-data-driven-interactive-simulation

This is an Ubi Soft R&D. Here soft body and cloth physics animation and interaction with object manipulate in realtime. Compared to something like Alembic Animation it takye much less memory and it is interactive. The blue object are manipulate by the guy.

This the type of things data driven baked data keeping interactivity and why the SSD will be very interesting much further than Geometry, texture, motion matching animation, sound.

You can do the same things but for other part of the rendering where certain level of quality is unreachable in real-time(fluid, hair simulation, volumetric smoke...) if this is not too heavy on memory and SSD bandwidth because with complexity of the data the size increase.

This is a visual game changer.
Hopefully they can create libraries of materials rather than having to commit every unique object to several days of training.

We have asked follow up questions to SONY about these things and many others regarding PS5. I hope we get a response back.

It's kind of weird, not talking about vrs, but talking about Primitive shaders, a thing existing since Vega, and working since RDNA 1...

I mean, there shouldn't be anything stopping Sony from getting the VRS right? I know MS has patented their own version but at the very least Sony could just use the one from AMD's RDNA 2.0 right?

I mean, there shouldn't be anything stopping Sony from getting the VRS right? I know MS has patented their own version but at the very least Sony could just use the one from AMD's RDNA 2.0 right?
MS’s patented version describes an application driven method. They’ve patented the software implementation, not the HW. AMD has their own VRS patent.

Unfortunately I suspect no VRS based on the song and dance MS made about it and Sony not even mentioning it (when people are saying how great it is).
They basically mentioned none of the RDNA2 features. Only that it is an RDNA2 custom GPU. This can be an optimistic sign that they will tell us a lot about it later, or they are pretty much fucked up. If the PS5 is missing so many important features it would make you wonder what went wrong?
You would expect that since Cerny and AMD knows the roadmap of future graphics that they would implement them at least some important ones.

Back