Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) (SARS-CoV-2) [2020]

It just shows that Germany tests more than we do as I said before. We don’t test young people only people who need to be hospitalized and if we have tests left (huge shortage in materials) we test medical personnel.

Statistically that doesn't hold. The only answer that makes sense is Germany's treatment is better. That might not be resources so much as technique, such as the above mentioned not intubating too early.

I just hope that they are sharing those procedures to the medical community at large.

One thing to take into consideration is that Spain, France and the Uk are very centralized states, their capitals and metropolitan areas are large and densely populated, whereas Germany is rather descentralized. Madrid region hospitals at the moment are overflowed, and sadly this is upping the death rate.

It just shows that Germany tests more than we do as I said before. We don’t test young people only people who need to be hospitalized and if we have tests left (huge shortage in materials) we test medical personnel.
That theory would require the real cases count in France, Netherlands, etc to be far, far higher than reported, with all the young, healthy cases not being counted. But that means a far faster spread in these countries too than Germany. The UK also has a higher relative mortality despite good initial containment and lots of testing of all ages. I don't think testing count alone is enough to explain the disparity. Ignoring the raw numbers, look at dead versus cured.

Germany: 3532 recovered versus 171 deaths.
UK: 135 recovered versus 422 deaths.

UK's testing -
As of 9am on 24 March 2020, a total of 90,436 people have been tested, of which 82,359 were confirmed negative and 8,077 were confirmed positive. 422 patients in the UK who tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19) have died.

I may be wrong, but I'll be surprised if it's a statistically anomally of data reporting and not something more.

germany ICU beds per 100,000 ppl 29.2
spain ICU beds per 100,000 ppl 9.7

ESscb7eXgAIp_3p.png

A kid who licked toilets as part of the #CoronaVirusChallenge says he's now in the hospital with coronavirus.​
Ha Ha, at least the doctors now have an easy choice of who is more deserving of a ventilator if it comes down to it, some 80 year old or some kid that licks toilet seats

btw here in Spain, for the last 3 days google fit has not been working. Im guessing to discourage ppl seeing how far they walk each day

That theory would require the real cases count in France, Netherlands, etc to be far, far higher than reported, with all the young, healthy cases not being counted. But that means a far faster spread in these countries too than Germany. The UK also has a higher relative mortality despite good initial containment and lots of testing of all ages. I don't think testing count alone is enough to explain the disparity. Ignoring the raw numbers, look at dead versus cured.

Germany: 3532 recovered versus 171 deaths.
UK: 135 recovered versus 422 deaths.

UK's testing -
As of 9am on 24 March 2020, a total of 90,436 people have been tested, of which 82,359 were confirmed negative and 8,077 were confirmed positive. 422 patients in the UK who tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19) have died.

I may be wrong, but I'll be surprised if it's a statistically anomally of data reporting and not something more.
if you change the way you report data, then yea. That could be a reason

So for instance, if I change how I report deaths. Was it actually caused by COVID-19 or did the patient have a pre-existing condition and we mark them dead as a result of that instead of covid

Ohio's numbers today, confirmed: 704 (up from 564), Cuyahoga County: 206 (up from 167), Hospitalized: 182 (up from 145), and 10 Deaths (up from 8) from
Cuyahoga (2), Erie (1), Franklin (2), Gallia (1), Lucas (1), Miami (1), Stark (2)

Millions of people around the world, many of whom have lost their incomes because of the lockdowns, are now facing starvation as they are confined to their homes and have no more money for food.

Shifty are those recovered vs dead figures for Germany for people who have been hospitalized or all people who have been tested?

@Entropy l how about just India? It’s a country with very uneven distribution of wealth and with 1.3 billion people in lockdown, it could end up true, who knows.

Shifty are those recovered vs dead figures for Germany for people who have been hospitalized or all people who have been tested?

@Entropy l how about just India? It’s a country with very uneven distribution of wealth and with 1.3 billion people in lockdown, it could end up true, who knows.
It's just bizarre ravings and should be deleted.
We have people from the hardest hit countries right in this thread. Spain, Italy, Netherlands. Are people starving to death due to lack of money there? By the millions?
Why would unemployed people in India stay at home and starve to death?
Even in a hypothetical future, the people dying will be the sick who cannot be treated. As it always is.
This kind of stuff should just be deleted from the thread, including our comments.

Millions of people around the world, many of whom have lost their incomes because of the lockdowns, are now facing starvation as they are confined to their homes and have no more money for food.
You were presented a lengthy post explaining the maths behind the lockdowns so that you could understand. Your response is to...not acknowledge or rebuke those numbers, but use some other argument without any supporting evidence? I think before you contribute any more, you should reflect on the exponential growth concerns and either admit you were wrong and the disease is more impactful than the others you referenced, or present a good argument why Covid19 isn't worse than influenza et al. If you're not going to engage in the level of discussion the topic warrants, you shouldn't engage at all.

Last edited:
Italy: General curfew 10.3, 167.81 infections per million at the time
Spain: General curfew 14.3, 136.97 infections per million at the time
France: General curfew 17.3, 115.56 infections per million at the time
Greece: General curfew 23.3, 64.71 infections per million at the time
and then
Finland: No general curfew apparently even planned, 159.71 infections per million at 25.3 (also we don't test enough ppl, even those in risk groups can't get tested without severe symptoms pointing to corona)
Our all female lead leftist government is a disgrace, everything is just a recommendation with no hard actions. Today they made first little step by limiting travel to and from worst infected region of Finland, but still no general curfew even within that region - just recommendations.
They're also planning to close down restaurants, bars etc, but again with a "strong recommendation" rather than by order, so they'd be all out of luck with getting compensation from insurances

I presume all tested, as that's what everyone should be reporting. Otherwise the 'recovered' number will lag behind the 'tested' by many, many people which then confuses how many total people it's passed through. So out of 37,000 recorded cases, 3,500 have recovered so far in Germany with 33,500 ongoing, 206 deaths, versus the UK with 9,500 cases and 135 recovered, 465 deaths.

I suppose the argument is Germany was counting everyone with even the mildest symptoms, whereas these people are missed elsewhere, and if the UK had the same level of testing, there'd be 30,000 cases here with 5,000 recovered, 465 deaths. But the early tracking was robust in terms of following those who were symptomatic and those they contacted. Potentially some young people got it from a skiing trip (I know a 16 year old who was off on skiing completions every month) and spread it unknowingly among young people with none of them being symptomatic.

:???:

Back