Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter

One of my favourite, most dreaded enemies is in..

uEaDDGT.gif

Saturday is doomsday --that's when my mother-in-law arrives.

Seriously though, this game shows what a good fps can be.

Can't agree more! I was really surprised and blown away by DOOM reboot! Found all secrets and did all single player achivements. Such a 'relaxing' game to play every now and then :D

I'm definitely getting old for this arcadish arena style head spinner, the whole thing feels like UT than Doom. I was hoping Doom 2 would at least get some of the atmospheric and horror level design but looks like it's just more of the same. Guess I'm just a Doom 3, Dead Space kind of guy. Also the graphics look kinda dated at least compared to most of the new games.

I'm definitely getting old for this arcadish arena style head spinner, the whole thing feels like UT than Doom. I was hoping Doom 2 would at least get some of the atmospheric and horror level design but looks like it's just more of the same. Guess I'm just a Doom 3, Dead Space kind of guy. Also the graphics look kinda dated at least compared to most of the new games.
Got to agree with this. This looked like an expansion to last Doom. But there are fans of this genre so why not?
I personally find Rage 2 more impressive even technically.

This is using Id Tech 7. Bethesda have provide no details what the differences over 6 are, as far as I can tell. Does't really look like it's doing anything new from the clip I saw.

The only thing they said about it is the ability to render 10x more geometry than idTech666.

Frankly, I expect great action and gameplay. What interests me the most are their claims about expansion of the "lore" of the game. That new area looks very intriguing.

It was quite obvious that any doom game done now would be a continuation of the style set by the last installment given its critical and comercial success. Hell, it was almost given there'd be a sequel like that by the time the last one released. They'd be crazy not to do it.

quite enjoyed Doom 3 on the original Xbox, especially on the 2nd walkthrough with the artifact, but of all the Doom games I've had, I still think Doom 1 and 2 are the best, followed by Doom 64 and Doom (2016). The new Doom is quite fun, although I'd want to have the streamlined levels of Doom 1 & 2 (also 64). Find and grab a coloured key, then the next key, etc. That design worked wonders in Doom 64 too. You can completely change the game without changing the simplicity of the level design.

Maybe it is the excesss of visual information, but I kinda miss simpler maps tbh.​

1533923803420.gif

Doom 2 was a fast shooter that threw an abundance of colourful enemies at you. It was essentially an arena shooter with high-powered guns. That is what classic Doom was. If anything these new Doom games are a throwback.

Some levels were sorta arena like, but I wouldn't agree for the most part.

quite enjoyed Doom 3 on the original Xbox, especially on the 2nd walkthrough with the artifact, but of all the Doom games I've had, I still think Doom 1 and 2 are the best, followed by Doom 64 and Doom (2016). The new Doom is quite fun, although I'd want to have the streamlined levels of Doom 1 & 2 (also 64). Find and grab a coloured key, then the next key, etc. That design worked wonders in Doom 64 too. You can completely change the game without changing the simplicity of the level design.

Maybe it is the excesss of visual information, but I kinda miss simpler maps tbh.​

1533923803420.gif
I actually played Doom 3 on PC back then, game has so much feel with the unified shadow tech and even greater when run with a slew of mods:). The pacing was also brilliant, accompanied with a fleshed out horror narrative you really feel like lost in space and survive in the most horrific and claustrophobic alien complex. A Doom 3 remake would be a godsend, or should I say hellsend. Never really played the original Doom games tho.

Chronicles of Riddick kinda stole Doom 3's thunder for me. Very similar tech, but unlike with Doom, the unified shadows were actually used for gameplay purposes, not merely monster closet jump scares to which I'm pretty much immune anyway.

This here Doom Eternal looks glorious. Cannot wait. The "cut-scene" in which the Doom slayer slowly and silently walks past the employees who are equally star-struck and scared shitless is pure gold. Manliest game ever in the best possible way :)

Last edited:
So is anyone actually playing Doom Eternal? Got it on the 1X, thought the HDR was really nice, a good jump in geometry compared to the 2016 for sure. I somehow feel the lighting in 2016 looked a bit better, more atmospherical. The ice level in the new Doom looked butt ugly, it's as if they ran out of shaders for the ice, and environment lighting. About time nextgen kicks in I say.

So is anyone actually playing Doom Eternal? Got it on the 1X, thought the HDR was really nice, a good jump in geometry compared to the 2016 for sure. I somehow feel the lighting in 2016 looked a bit better, more atmospherical. The ice level in the new Doom looked butt ugly, it's as if they ran out of shaders for the ice, and environment lighting. About time nextgen kicks in I say.

Def getting this one! Once I’m done with Nioh

Beat Doom Eternal two days ago. Even on Hurt Me Plenty (Normal), I probably died more on the second level than my entire playthrough of Doom 2016. Ammo is a bit more scarce, the amount of enemies you have to kill in one arena can sometimes border insanity, and be prepared to destroy your screen when you're so close to killing a boss, then die because of one reason or another, and have to start the boss fight all over again.

Where in 2016 you could kind of glide through the game no problem as a superhuman tank - you're still that same tank in Eternal, but I found myself having to keep track of all my equipment because you have to use mostly all of it to ensure you don't get fucked. Once I progressed and my character got more upgrades, it started to have that same fun I had in 2016. But even then, I found myself having to take a long break after each level because it was just so overwhelming. I also played on my Xbox so my thumbs were on FIRE.

Even easy isn't as easy as 2016. I'm kinda bummed because I suck at aiming and I'm getting a lot more motion sickness playing DE, so I'm gonna put it off for a while.

Ammo scarcity feels like a cheap artificial means of increasing difficulty like Halo 4 was, and it just ends up frustrating when I have to piss off and find a zombie to chainsaw while being hunted down by an arachnotron instead. Just seems like awful game design.

I shouldn't complain too much as at least the soundtrack came with this free game. :]

Even easy isn't as easy as 2016. I'm kinda bummed because I suck at aiming and I'm getting a lot more motion sickness playing DE, so I'm gonna put it off for a while.

Ammo scarcity feels like a cheap artificial means of increasing difficulty like Halo 4 was, and it just ends up frustrating when I have to piss off and find a zombie to chainsaw while being hunted down by an arachnotron instead. Just seems like awful game design.

I shouldn't complain too much as at least the soundtrack came with this free game. :]

Get a huge mouse pad, lower your sensitivity. You can probably aim better than you'd think if you set your mouse-sensitivity to something low.

https://jscalc-blog.com/psa-method-calculator/

Also, play with fov to see if you can get rid of the motion sickness.

Back