Is it possible to transfer apps and registration info from a Win 7 system to a Win 10?

Shifty Geezer

uber-Troll!
Legend
This is almost certainly a 'no' as it opens up piracy, but I live in hopes.

I had a load of tools on my Windows 7 installation including audio production stuff going back years. When I migrated to Windows 10, I used a new SSD with clean install. I've come to install the audio tools (.vst soft synths) and have found I'm lacking some registration keys, and the apps and services and bundles are no longer supported so I don't think I can recover them. Ideally I'd like to be able to hook up the Windows 7 drive and access the applications on that while in Windows 10.

Is there any sort of solution? Maybe a registry mapper thing that can find the keys an app is using and list them out for me to add manually?

sorry cant think of any solution, only workarounds
  • put the disk into a VM and run it as W7, or
  • upgrade W7 to W10
maybe you can get the registration key by booting your W7? maybe using regedit.
the final solution that will work other than buying a new license: use crack (or whatever nowadays its called)

If I have to boot into another Windows 10, I may as well just boot into Win 7 (it was actually nice to see again! I prefer the look of 7 over 10).

And yeah, I could try looking through the registry manually, but I wondered if there was something automated.

wondered if there was something automated.
CTRL-F then F3

or if the reg stuff is in the app folder copy the app folder from win7 into win10 (backup the win10 app folder first)
for example if it's cubase replace your win10 cubase folder with the one from win7

or i think process monitor can tell what reg keys and files the app checks

Last edited:
CTRL-F then F3

or if the reg stuff is in the app folder copy the app folder from win7 into win10 (backup the win10 app folder first)
for example if it's cubase replace your win10 cubase folder with the one from win7

or i think process monitor can tell what reg keys and files the app checks
In particular, it's registration keys for softsynths that came bundles, like Z3TA+. All I really need is the registration key. I'll have a look at the Win 7 system and see what I can find.

Incidentally, I found this tool that promises to migrate content...
https://www.easeus.com/pc-transfer-software/

Bit pricey at $50 for just recovering a few soft-synths, but far cheaper than re-buying all the instruments.

If they're not how can you re-buy the instruments?
ps: the free version of easus is good for 2 programs could you create a restore point install the program recover 2 keys, restore then install the program again recover another 2 keys ect
or make an image of win 7 load it into a vm install the program recover 2 keys rinse and repeat untill you have them all

Cheeky! At the moment, seeing as there's no easy way, I'll just hook up the Win 7 SSD and boot into that. Do my music, save files and move back to Win 8. I only need it basically for now.

They're not. Cakewalk got bought from Roland by Bandcamp(?).
if you know the email account you used to buy your products at Cakewalk, they shall be there in your account. I purchased some Cakewalk DAWs back in the day, like 8 years ago, and the keys were still available in my account about a year ago.
Btw, the classic Sonar is now available for free and it is called BandLab.

Also, check your old emails performing a search. Audio Recorder Wizard and 4kdownload are two programs I love and use and I installed them in my desktop a month ago without issues by using the registering key I had, which is relatively old. (5-6 years)

Back