Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

The drive probably barely makes up for the fact that consoles only got a 2x increase in memory this gen while the previous increase was 16x.
Can't believe this sentiment still exists. In the past, storage was so slow that all assets had to be kept in RAM. 8 GB/s read speed from the SSD means assets can be streamed in a fraction of a second. You no longer have to spend two to three minutes pulling assets in from the HDD t store in RAM for when the player encounters them every four minutes of game time. You can load them a fraction of a second before they are seen, and then replace them with the new assets for the next part of the level.

More tidbits from Jason on PS5's SSD

We really need to see some fine examples of this SSD in action that fully utilizes its potential and how much on screen loading and visual improvements we could see. Cerny could have used some graph to illustrate the increment in different speeds even.

Jason who? him that leaked ps5 specs?

ps5 has a higher (max) gpu clock, xsx has a 2 to 3tf gpu power advantage, sizeable cpu max clock advantage, BW is on XSX too.
For the SSD, seems that xsx 6GB/s is close if not better in the end. But that gpu clock could lift the PS5 above the xsx.

From the Digital Foundry article, there is a BCPack decompressor block fed from the SSD that can produce a maximum of 6 GB/s.
This does seem like it will allow for more compact storage footprints and a higher average read bandwidth from the SSD.
The storage system in this case is the reverse of the PS5's GPU and DRAM bandwidth situation, as the BCPack system is competing against a raw bandwidth advantage that still exceeds that cap. The lower capacity might feel the pinch of a compression scheme not tailored to game textures, though.

ps5 has a higher (max) gpu clock, xsx has a 2 to 3tf gpu power advantage, sizeable cpu max clock advantage, BW is on XSX too.
For the SSD, seems that xsx 6GB/s is close if not better in the end. But that gpu clock could lift the PS5 above the xsx.

calm down, and this is the PS5 thread btw. If you are fan of Xbox, there are multiple threads were you can comment on how XBX is vastly superior to other consoles. No need to repeat the same messages in multiple threads over and over again.

calm down, and this is the PS5 thread btw. If you are fan of Xbox, there are multiple threads were you can comment on how XBX is vastly superior to other consoles. No need to repeat the same messages over and over again.

Ok, but he was posting a comparison between the two consoles?

Ok, but he was posting a comparison between the two consoles?

Yeah but he is not doing it in multiple threads and multiple times a day. I think we should try to leave this thread for people who actually have a clue about what they are talking about. I see you posting a tweet that I don’t think you understand the content (neither do I), unless you’ve work with compression algorithms and designed software that makes use of them.

Yeah but he is not doing it in multiple threads and multiple times a day. I think we should try to leave this thread for people who actually have a clue about what they are talking about. I see you posting a tweet that I don’t think you understand the content (neither do I), unless you’ve work with compression algorithms and designed software that makes use of them.

Agree on that, but not too many even in this thread know that much to conclude whats faster and what not ;)

No, but some are almost passing their info as fact based on absolutely no solid information. At this stage everyone is guessing.

Before we wanted the full specs to stop speculation, now we really need real performance tests. Until then, most info is going to be biased with few exceptions.

I think the comment of "it's up to the developers" is because it is the devs that decide what instructions are executed, it's their code, they control the balance. So if they want more GPU they will modify the instruction balance of their code themselves to have slightly less reliance on CPU. Likewise if they need more CPU for some sections they will likely ease up on the GPU instruction mix.

What will be interesting is that a bunch of people will probably either repaste their parts or create a mythical “PS5 lottery” when in reality the algorithm is deterministic and depends only on CPU/GPU activity levels.

I would not be surprised if a firmware update down the line adjusts those levels.

Are you just pulling numbers out of your butt now? Get a grip man, it's roughly 2 TF for majority of time if not all.

Back