General Next Generation Rumors and Discussions [Post GDC 2020]

Neither company fucked up on their next-gen console hardware and marketing schemes so far (IMO). Meaning the chances for migrating from Xbox to Playstation and vice-versa are slim.

That said, Sony has 110 million users that may upgrade, Microsoft has 50 million. Sony also has a higher attachment rate IIRC (their customers buy more games).

As I wrote: unless there's an incredible migration. We saw that on PS2->PS3. I don't see any reason why most PS4 users won't transition to the PS5 so far:
- No Cell-like tech creating major development headaches
- No substantial difference in processing capabilities
- No always-on, camera always pointed at you, big-brother tech
- No TV TV SPORTS TV marketing push

I could be wrong, though.

But at the moment, a smart approach from a 3rd party dev would be to give more importance to the PS5, since that is at the moment the platform more likely to give you more profits.
Most 3rd party developers will still be making games for the ps4. Even if most of the ps4 base moves to ps5, most of them won't do so for years.

The PS5 CU and therefor RT HW is running at higher clocks. 44% difference is misleading. I would say deliberately given the spin they seem to put.

Potentially higher.... potentially lower clocks.

I suspect they will keep clocks higher (over 2ghz) most of the time, but there's a reason they chose a base clock lower than the xsx and I doubt it's just for furmark.

Guaranteed Intersection Test per Second for Series X = 380 Billion
Absolute best case dynamic Intersection Test per Second for PS5 = 321 Billion

Where the PS5 will be lower in reality when the GPU frequency has to drop.

What remains to be seen is how memory bandwidth might impact these RayTracing tasks.

Most 3rd party developers will still be making games for the ps4. Even if most of the ps4 base moves to ps5, most of them won't do so for years.

And that transition will be a lot slower on the SeriesX, since Microsoft is mandating that all new 1st party titles for the SeriesX must also be developed for every device down to the XBOne, for at least two years. That gives a lot less motivation for current XBox gamers to upgrade, meaning they'll be slower to upgrade.

So if every developer were to follow your logic (they won't), no one would even bother to implement raytracing. The overwhelming majority of console + PC gamers don't own raytracing capable hardware either.

Guaranteed Intersection Test per Second for Series X = 380 Billion
Absolute best case dynamic Intersection Test per Second for PS5 = 321 Billion

Where the PS5 will be lower in reality when the GPU frequency has to drop.

What remains to be seen is how memory bandwidth might impact these RayTracing tasks.

It'll be interesting to see how the RT scales with frequency vs CUs.

The majority are on One S though, so they're probably itching to upgrade, and the cost-sensitive may have a particular option at the lower tier if things fall in place for Lockhart.

And that transition will be a lot slower on the SeriesX, since Microsoft is mandating that all new 1st party titles for the SeriesX must also be developed for every device down to the XBOne, for at least two years. That gives a lot less motivation for current XBox gamers to upgrade, meaning they'll be slower to upgrade.

It was basically the same for Sony. Aside from that, only for the first year. Real next gen games are already in production by MS.

The overwhelming majority of console + PC gamers don't own raytracing capable hardware either.

Most oft hose 100 million PS4 users wont either in the first years.

It'll be down to just 1 year if they release in 2020. If the consoles are delayed into 2021, it might be for only the first 9 months of next-gen.

Not only that, but launch lineups rarely are that stellar, aside from tech demos. Mostly, games that are a real generational leap appear through the lifetime of a consoles 7 year lifespan.

So if every developer were to follow your logic (they won't), no one would even bother to implement raytracing. The overwhelming majority of console + PC gamers don't own raytracing capable hardware either.
There's a difference between implementing a feature and designing a game around a feature.

A game built around ps5s advanced streaming capabilities will have problems on ps4. Removing global illumination from an xsx game won't render it unplayable on xbone.

I am LTTP so i don't have anything to add to the PS5 talk other than to say that PlayStation under Jim Ryan keeps struggling and being awkward when communicating with their fans, not really understanding what kinds of expectations they build up when they announce things like this "Road to PS5" deal.

Now we have only 1 big piece of the next gen puzzle left: Lockhart.
I just don't see how they can generate any excitement for a lower spec, lower cost traditional console after the XSX and PS5 have been shown off...
Which is why i am still feeling like if it still exists it is going to be a portable device, or rather a modular one.

Now we have only 1 big piece of the next gen puzzle left: Lockhart.
I just don't see how they can generate any excitement for a lower spec, lower cost traditional console after the XSX and PS5 have been shown off...
Which is why i am still feeling like if it still exists it is going to be a portable device, or rather a modular one.

Maybe a $250 price would excite some? I don't see how it could be $200 less than SeriesX.

Now a portable device would excite me, regardless of the price delta to XBSX.

The PS5 CU and therefor RT HW is running at higher clocks. 44% difference is misleading. I would say deliberately given the spin they seem to put.

I'm am utterly shocked after all this time to learn _rogames is actually an idiot!

Lockhart will be more attractive to a lot of people who play on 1080p TVs. Especially since it will be able to play all xbox games, which means any ps4 owners who doesn't have an xbox might want to buy one to try out some xbox exclusives if the price is right.

Back