Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Any mention of actual memory available for Games?

10.3 vs 12 wont even result a resolution drop, maybe some settings higher on Xbox that’s it?
Not sure how much benefit ssd would bring for ps5 in graphics tho.
Yea I agree, only 10.3 is best case scenario for PS5, with already confirmation from Cerny that it will drop (but nothing substantial - ie. people won't notice, but it looks nice on spec sheet). 12TF is also not what XSX runs at, its 12.15TF I think all the time.

Also, PS5 gets 448GB/s BW all the time. Series X gets 560, but only to 10GB. Then it gets 336 to other 6GB.

The additional 3.5GB designated as standard ram for the Xbox can be filled up pretty quickly with things that don't need the full bandwidth though. At least that's what MS engineers claimed.

With how everyone is looking at this and waiting, they should have adapted at least a little bit of it to the gamer audience...

I mean, dumping this much technicals before even showing the console box is kind of over most people's heads.

They did put fake people shadows in front of Cerny to simulate an audience. He was over their heads. ;)

Tommy McClain

Just finished watching
1. Cerny's voice sounds so clear and his explanation is surprisingly easy to understand despite the topic

2. He openly admit their mistake with ps4 cooling, and they really fixed it with PS5

3. PS5 basically runs in boost mode almost all the time and the cooling solution is already designed to properly handle that

4. There will be a teardown video (they also did for PS4)

5. Storage expandable with USB hdd and internal slot for extra m2 SSD. But not all ssd will be compatible. No info whether the OS will be able to automatically juggle data from hdd to ssd or not. But it's confirmed that you'll be able to manually move game to ssd.

6. Real 3d audio for everyone for headphones, TV speakers, sound bar, surround speakers. The quality will still be in progress even after launch. Hopefully it'll still support dolby/ac3 encoding over optical...

7. The audience are cardboard cutouts?

If it basically ran with boost mode all the time there would not be a boost mode.

What a dissapointment. 36 CUs, 256 bits bandwidth, shitty RT...yes ssd is double than XSX, and what is the difference between waiting for 8 seconds or 4?. And what is worst that variable clock is a last time fudge to not look even worse than XSX. They went cheap and it shows.
Worse GPU, worse CPU, worse bandwidth and a SSD faster not even reaching 1 Tflop. The 3d audio thing is funny, they already advising if you have a different HTRF you will see no difference.

The other one is burdened by games needing to run on Lockhart. :runaway: I really hope Microsoft bury this policy (not the machine, just the policy).

Which has not been shown to even exist as a console.

Holy crap, this is terrible boost system imo. Only looking at the logic being ran but trying maximize clocks will result in so many consoles overheating over the lifetime. The cooling system always degrades and if it's 60C at launch and boosting, once some dust gets in there, its going to 100C easily.

Will have to see what actually happens at launch but I have a feeling the console will launch hot and only get hotter over time with those kind of clocks if they really are targeting boost at those frequencies.

There isn't any argument made here IMO, because you are basically describing any system requiring cooling...

Any cooling system degrades, even PC builds if they never get cleaned. Ultimately. the amount of heat to dissipate is directly proportional to power consumption. So as long as the boost is budgeted by power consumption — which it should be, given that the details sound no different from cutting-edge AMD APU power management (minus device chassis thermal caps) — there is still a fixed ceiling to plan cooling capacity against.

The other one is burdened by games needing to run on Lockhart. :runaway: I really hope Microsoft bury this policy (not the machine, just the policy).
Those same games also need to run on PC's though. PC's that are less powerful than what we expect Lockhart to be.

A lot of..."interesting" decisions made for this console. Their custom SSD hardware seems very cool but only 825GB? Also the storage expansion doesn't seem very straightforward (basically he said wait to hear from us on recommend drives).

Still confused about the overall chip? It's basically power-throttled or something?

Also 3D audio seems very experimental...

If it basically ran with boost mode all the time there would not be a boost mode.

From what I understand, its like current PC cpu and gpu where they will basically will almost aways boost themselves up, almost never limits their peak at the stock clock.

Back