Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

Hmmm, looking at the pictures on the DF site (specifically picture 7 of 9 in the hardware gallery) and it appears that in addition to the ventilation holes on the rear of the device, the bottom of the case also has intake ventilation holes. So, there's quite a bit of openings for air intake.

Regards,
SB

This is a big concern for me, like the core/arcade - will this be gimped with a small SSD that requires an expensive upgrade?

PS5 also has a custom ssd, so it's unlikely you'll be able to replace it with anything off the shelf. They'll be expensive on both. I do wonder if Sony won't do something like have an ultra-fast ssd built in, and instead of being replaceable they'll just swap games between the internal drive and your expansion drive as you play them. That'll have it's own problems, because the times you need to swap a game to/from a slower disk you'll have a bit of a bottleneck, but then they'll be able to guarantee running the games from their customized disk and its high level of performance.

PS5 also has a custom ssd, so it's unlikely you'll be able to replace it with anything off the shelf. They'll be expensive on both. I do wonder if Sony won't do something like have an ultra-fast ssd built in, and instead of being replaceable they'll just swap games between the internal drive and your expansion drive as you play them. That'll have it's own problems, because the times you need to swap a game to/from a slower disk you'll have a bit of a bottleneck, but then they'll be able to guarantee running the games from their customized disk and its high level of performance.

I'd be more than happy with a hybrid solution, i.e. 1Tb SSD and 2-4Tb HDD for storage of older games that the system swaps out automatically. 1Tb just does not seem enough. I know SSDs will mean less data duplication but I struggle with 2Tb in PS4 Pro. In an ideal world, they'd allow me store games on my NAS which has around 9Tb free at the moment.

I'd be more than happy with a hybrid solution, i.e. 1Tb SSD and 2-4Tb HDD for storage of older games that the system swaps out automatically. 1Tb just does not seem enough. I know SSDs will mean less data duplication but I struggle with 2Tb in PS4 Pro. In an ideal world, they'd allow me store games on my NAS which has around 9Tb free at the moment.
With xsx you can play Pre xsx games straight from external storage. So your getting what you want.

XSX games you need to copy to either internal or to the ssd cartridge.

They will probably make it auto copy if you click it to play from external storage like you wanted. Or give you pop up box to install.

Probably won't do Nas as format is different?

Really? I struggle to get anywhere past 3/4 of my 2TB drive, I don't think I ever went past that. I guess different users have different habits, I tend to finish and sometimes platinum a game and delete it soon after. Unless there's some replay value, but in my experience the only games I have been replaying for months or years are the smaller ones like Dead Cells, Resogun at the time, and some other 'indie' games.

Really? I struggle to get anywhere past 3/4 of my 2TB drive, I don't think I ever went past that. I guess different users have different habits, I tend to finish and sometimes platinum a game and delete it soon after.

I get the urge to replay quite a variety of my games quite a bit so I'm loathe to delete them, especially as my internet is so awful. It's also why I still buy some games on disc so that I know I can delete, re-install and patch quickly (mostly) when I need too. If I had better internet, and hopefully gigabit fibre will be an option for me this year, but until then my SSD capacity anxiety remains!

I'm having to do a juggling act for best performance between my 1 TB HDD internal, 4 TB HDD external, and 2 TB SSD external on my Xbox One X. I have about 1 TB free.

I've even begun removing games that I want to play but know I wont get to in the next month. There's hundreds more I haven't even downloaded/installed that I could for free from my benefits of Xbox Games with Gold and Game Pass Ultimate.

I don't need much storage either. My PS4 Pro has an old 500GB SSD in it with only Horizon, Days Gone and a horror download called Nerved. I don't think I have enough games to even fill it up lol. Just the exclusives.

I don't need much storage either. My PS4 Pro has an old 500GB SSD in it with only Horizon, Days Gone and a horror download called Nerved. I don't think I have enough games to even fill it up lol. Just the exclusives.

Same here, only have PS for the exclusives, but games aren't getting smaller i think, and some have their PS for other games too.

Having only 1TB which is going to probably be less to support the quick resume feature is the main problem.

Games are going to be bigger and it will fill up quickly.
The expansion card other than beying annoying to have is definitely going to be an expensive upgrade.

I struggle for space as I have kids and they have their games and they are usually quite large like CoD and Battlefield.

Also as my game time is limited I like to have a large selection available rather than have to redownload.

Back