Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. Although the PS4 RAM was quite a bit more expensive...so going with that RAM allowed them to have more CUs.

Still unsure how Sony making the right choice was sheer luck, but there you go!
Actually, duo to fire in Hynix plant DDR3 prices shot up, while with higher density GDDR5 chips being available in 2013, price went down. Perfect storm of great design and a bit of luck IMO.

Thanks. Although the PS4 RAM was quite a bit more expensive...so going with that RAM allowed them to have more CUs.

Still unsure how Sony making the right choice was sheer luck, but there you go!
Sony gambled that they could even have 8GBs of ram. There was a very real chance that PS4 was going to launch with only 4GBs. If that had happened MS's 8GBs of slower memory and Esram would've looked pretty good but as it turns out Sony "lucked out" if you want to call it that and 8GB of ram became available to them just in time for production. This gave them an advantage, pretty much all around but had that not happened MS actually would've had a very big memory advantage even it was slower. Can you imagine the difference of how games would look on PS4 if it only had 4GB of ram? It certainly would've changed things a lot.

I think 11.6 is pretty new one, here is the TF stocks of PS5:
vMGXkwO.jpg

That's an average of 12.4, 52@1860 confirmed.

Sony gambled that they could even have 8GBs of ram. There was a very real chance that PS4 was going to launch with only 4GBs. If that had happened MS's 8GBs of slower memory and Esram would've looked pretty good but as it turns out Sony "lucked out" if you want to call it that and 8GB of ram became available to them just in time for production. This gave them an advantage, pretty much all around but had that not happened MS actually would've had a very big memory advantage even it was slower. Can you imagine the difference of how games would look on PS4 if it only had 4GB of ram? It certainly would've changed things a lot.

I believe it was also around cost of RAM and the risk of if prices would fall quickly enough.

Personally I don’t call any educated gamble that pays off as luck...but that’s just me I guess.

Is it going to make any difference?

PS5 isn't a 'new' product so doesn't need implanting. The public consciousness already has PlayStation implanted with it being one of the strongest brands in the world. The brand isn't presently fading away. I can't see any evidence that Sony needs to make a move now or that there'll be any fallout for them maintaining a prolonged silence, and it's easy to come up with situations where the late discussion is actually beneficial. eg. Coronavirus is ended, lots of misery wants to be got past, bam, here's the future, PlayStation, fun fun fun after all that quarantining and shitty bums.

I can see cases for a positive impact. I can't see any for a negative on being late. The only negative I can see is inadequate marketing and not enough noise, but that's not dependent on duration of that noise. As long as PS5 is properly marketed ahead of release, it'll do as well as if Sony had been talking about it for the past three years non-stop.
The Sony reveal just proved my point, nothing more to be said. lucky you’re not in marketing

I believe it was also around cost of RAM and the risk of if prices would fall quickly enough.

Personally I don’t call any educated gamble that pays off as luck...but that’s just me I guess.
Agree I don't think it was luck, it was a calculated risk. That being said it could've gone the other way and would've been pretty detrimental to their overall system performance last gen. MS took the safe route and was always targeting 8GBs because of Kinect and TV crap etc so they needed to guarantee that their system would have 8GBs of ram. They weren't in a position to gamble in that respect.

According to _rogame, this was AMD Flute.

Lockhart isn't going to have more than 8GB of GDDR6 total. 5GB "fast", and 3GB "slow".
8GB? Really?
I would expect 12 if for no other reason then at least for easier compatability with the One X.

Last edited:
I think lockhart will have to have the same "slow pool" 2.5 for OS/background plus 3.5 for the game, plus the rest for GPU. It probably has to be 6, for 12 total GB of RAM. I expect it to run all at 336 GB/sec. This fits nicely with a 192-bit bus and 6 chips running at 14 Gbps.

I guess they could lower with mixed density chips, but then you would have to manage 3 different pools across all the consoles. I think limiting the management to only the fast video ram portion would be easiest on everyone. Keep the slow pool the same between the console variants.

Sounds like you missed Digital Foundry articles and videos. You should go take a look.
Wasn't just the specs dumped on their blog.

Also we bit early to be saying how great Sony done it, just wait a day. Be lot more convincing after the fact.

What I meant was everything just appeared for MS with no warning (as far as I know anyway). none of this ‘we will reveal all in 24 hours, please start to get excited and let people know’.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back