Current Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm happy *one* of the things I speculated about (the memory configuration) turned out to be correct. :LOL:

I think the only aspect I missed was the non-GPU accesses being bandwidth-capped no matter which pool they were pulling from.

Good to see that the RT implementation is like the RTX one, just a port with NV code worked on XSX. RTX 2080 performance in the XSX nice work.
Just 16GB total, doesn't seem much, as there seems to be no seperate DDR4, like the phil spencer SoC upload indicated, with 10 for graphics.

2.4gb/s NVme PCIE4.0 but can reach 6gb/s?

They probably have some kind of jpeg-like lossy compression system meant for textures, where the decompressor is a hardware part with a ~6GB/s output. It makes a lot of sense have such a thing when you have 2.4GB/s storage and a limited ram pool -- it means you can fetch up to a 100 megs of textures directly from the storage to uncompressed (or, only texture compressed) form in memory per frame.

This in turn means there is no need for an intermediate form of texture storage as compressed form in RAM, like is used today for virtual texturing. Saves a lot of ram, and makes that 16GB last a lot longer.

Good to see that the RT implementation is like the RTX one, just a port with NV code worked on XSX. RTX 2080 performance in the XSX nice work.
Just 16GB total, doesn't seem much, as there seems to be no seperate DDR4, like the phil spencer SoC upload indicated, with 10 for graphics.

I believe it is stated that the decompression chip is capable of delivering 6GB/s.

Microsoft is quoting "4-bit integer". Is this on the shaders or on some dedicated silicon?
On shaders, it was first implemented in Vega 20

I believe it is stated that the decompression chip is capable of delivering 6GB/s.

I read it as 2.4 GB/s raw bandwidth which with compressed data can achieve equivalent of 6 GB/s bandwidth with uncompressed data.

I read it as 2.4 GB/s raw bandwidth which with compressed data can achieve equivalent of 6 GB/s bandwidth with uncompressed data.

DF's official specs for the SSD (from the chart) are:

2.4GB/s (Raw), 4.8GB/s (Compressed)

And the quote from the article says

DF said:
Our second component is a high-speed hardware decompression block that can deliver over 6GB/s

It is 4,8 GB of uncompressed data.

Microsoft is quoting "4-bit integer". Is this on the shaders or on some dedicated silicon?

On the shaders. Data movement is generally much more expensive than the actual computation, and more so the smaller your data elements are. Having that much extra compute on dedicated silicon would almost double the size of the GPU, whereas just providing more formats at the shaders is dramatically less expensive.

The technical solution they have almost certainly gone for is to make packed formats for 32f, 16f, 8i and 4i available at every SIMD pipe.

I had no idea that pack math went all the way to 4-bit.

Alright Sony, you can now come out of hiding.

Maybe NOW they're feeling more like hiding...
Maybe the PS5 will have more memory, for besides from this I can't see the PS5 being stronger. I expect Sony to talk less about the hardware and technology and more, much more about all the games they're developing for the launch.

They use and extension of the Direct X, Direct Storage and for texture a BCPack texture format for storage, I suppose all this technology will be available on PC and a standard will appear for gaming SSD on PC.
Yea, they said they are bringing DirectStorage to Windows PC as well. Very cool. Wonder what other improvements and changes they have in store for the PC side of the equation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back