Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So according to this new guy "WhispersintheWind" on Gaf who claimed to have major third party dev friends and has now sent evidence to the Mod for verification said that apparently a recent leak 100% confirms PS5's specs. Although the devs didn't reveal any solid numbers to him, his personal opinion when deducing from what has been told to him gives a 11.5-13TF range. My hunch tells me it could be this one, which is very recent. That 4chan poster in the leak was the one who predicated the new PS slogan (“It’s time to play”) days before it appeared on the PSEurope Twitter account.
https://www.t3.com/au/news/insane-ps5-specs-leak-resurfaces-as-fans-wait-for-official-reveal
  • 13.3Teraflops RDNA 2 GPU @ 1.7GHZ with 60 CPU
  • AMD Zen2 8 core @ 3.4 GHZ (Sony is working on boosting to 3.7GHZ)
  • RAM 16GB GDDR6 + 4GB DDR4
  • SSD@5.5GB/S @ 1TB
  • Dedicated Ray Tracing and 3D Audio cores
  • DualShock 5 with haptic feedback, microphone and heart rate monitors.
  • Full digital backward compatibility with every PlayStation console and a library of thousands of games.
  • PSAI voice-controlled assistant.
Yes, too good to be true and all but Nike once told me Impossible is Nothing:LOL:.
60CPUs ? Audio cores ? And the maths don't check out. Fake. And that new insider more or less only repeated what his predecessors already claimed.

I don't think a 9.2TF PS5 is a bad thing if Sony's aiming for a $399 price point. I get the whole console wars thing and each side wants to say they have the more powerful box, but I think once people see the actual games running on PS5 it will matter much, much less. The only way a 9.2TF PS5 turns out to be a blunder for Sony is if MS decides to take a substantial loss and match their price while also having a power advantage. Sure PS5 could end up being more powerful than some are speculating but I strongly believe Sony designed their console with a $399 price point in mind. Look at how successful they've been with the PS4, which was clearly built with that price point in mind. Why change your strategy if you're having great success? MS has every reason to come out swinging and be the aggressor this time around. They lost ground last generation and I could easily see that leading them to take a bigger loss to try and regain some of the userbase they lost. Phil Spencer has been very aggressive in general since taking over as head of Xbox. He's definitely refocused the brand back to games, and has earned a ton of good will from gamers with his approach. If I had to bet between Sony and MS for this upcoming generation as to which company would have a more aggressive design and be willing to take a bigger loss, I think that bet is pretty easy to make.

PS5 games will look brutally nice, on the other hand xsx even more so if ms has some 1st party studios working on it. With the 360 they did have some nice console exclusives, as did the 2001 xbox. Think the x one was centred too much around TV/media aspect, and then kinect. MS seems to focus on pure gaming more now, like sony, on first party studios and games.
PS5 is going to do great, but sony won’t get the generation handed this time around. Competition is never a bad thing, for both.

Dedicated raytracing cores too is not very credible... And the SSD...

500gb would be terrible, 1TB should be the least amount. It wont matter for me so much but no everyone has 1gb/s connections. Were going more digital then ever, and with patches growing and more often.... GTS had some hefty patch, hadnt installed that for a while but still.

I am not sure 9.2TF PS5, with such expensive memory, is $399 console. Perhaps ~$400 BOM console, and $399 at loss, but after price hike I dont think so.
You could be right but I'd be willing to bet that Sony designed their console with $399 price in mind. It's possible that things changed over time and now their original target of $399 is much harder to hit without taking a bigger loss than expected. If true that puts them in a tough spot where they are now higher than their intended price point and potentially less powerful than their competitor. This could be the very reason why Sony's been pretty quite recently. They obviously prefer to take the smallest loss possible on each console so they need MS to reveal their price first. They don't want to have a less powerful console at the same price as MS, and also don't want to lose a ton of money by announcing a lower price than needed to be value positioned next to XBSX.

A small loss in the beginning isn’t that problematic for either sony or ms.
At $399 it could be more than just a small loss for Sony if their BOM after the price hike is $450ish. Retailers still have to make $ as well. It would certainly be a much bigger loss than they were taking last gen.

OK just to be clear, that guy on Gaf wasn't referring to that 4chan's leak, that was just my personal prediction. Anyway,
Here's some update
So the mod has verified his source, it's legit. Here's the direct quote by Mod of War
Another dev saying it’s not 9.2, and to throw that away, also mentioned one of the recent leaks is the range they have as well. They have yet to confirm his questions narrowing it down, but I don’t think they will. Questions were too on the nose to answer, maybe.
So this guy was trying to narrowing down the leaks by asking the devs for further info but it should be more obvious by now anyway. Aside from that 9.2 TF Github fuckery, literally all of other leaks have been double digits roughly 12 TF + or - 1TF. It's really up to your own pics. If 13TF is too out of the question then 11.6-12.6 should be right on the money.

PS5 games will look brutally nice, on the other hand xsx even more so if ms has some 1st party studios working on it. With the 360 they did have some nice console exclusives, as did the 2001 xbox. Think the x one was centred too much around TV/media aspect, and then kinect. MS seems to focus on pure gaming more now, like sony, on first party studios and games.
PS5 is going to do great, but sony won’t get the generation handed this time around. Competition is never a bad thing, for both.
Doubt. We shall see how big of a impact a 1.3TF XB1 or even a 4TF Lockhart could hold back the visuals. WIll reserve my judgement till I see both PS5 and XSX exclusive games side by side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aside from that 9.2 TF Github fuckery

That was deep ;)

Doubt. We shall see how big of a impact a 1.3TF XB1 or even a 4TF Lockhart could hold back the visuals.

Dont count on that dream, there will be xsx first party games not being held back to 1,4/4tf later in the gen. The cross plats where for the first year or two.
And then the 3TF differenential could be in favour for xsx 1st party titles compared to sonys.

literally all of other leaks have been double digits roughly 12 TF

Care to share? There has been sub 10tf rumors by insiders and journalists well as around 12.
I have yet to see leaks as in data supporting something else, until you post the links ofcourse :)

Doubt. We shall see how big of a impact a 1.3TF XB1 or even a 4TF Lockhart could hold back the visuals. WIll reserve my judgement till I see both PS5 and XSX exclusive games side by side.
I don't hear anyone worrying about older outdated PC hardware holding games back and that's been an issue since the beginning of PC gaming. Why is a lower tier console any different? Sure in an ideal world games would be designed strictly for the newest and most powerful hardware without having to worry about running on older/weaker hardware but that's just never been the case. Even in other console generations where there was no BC most all games were released on PC where they still had to deal with this scenario. Scalability is something that dev teams at this point should be both very familiar with and very good at.

A Theoretical 3TF difference wont matter. It wont have other limits holding it back too, like the 4Pro suffered compared to OneX. That wont happen this time around. It wont have limited memory bandwidth. It wont have limited memory capacity. The performance difference will just scale with resolution or scale with minor graphical effects.

if it did not matter why are we talking about it?
I will genuinely question any position which interests me. You think this matters, I do not understand why. When I asked for clarification you, you avoided the question. I'm genuinely interested whyy uo think this matters. Any more than Sony revealing three months before Microsoft in 2013. Because I don't think timing of the reveals had anything to do with how this gen played out.

It will matter even if the difference is not very noticeable. The price will matter at the same time so people might give it attention or a pass according to what it offers at said price. The differrence between Pro and X IMO is also noticeable but since they are sold as premium/niche products at differrent prices (where Pro is cheaper) they dont have much an effect in the markets perception of PS4 abd One. But as you can see the PS4 outsold significantly the S even after it had a price reduction

I don't hear anyone worrying about older outdated PC hardware holding games back and that's been an issue since the beginning of PC gaming. Why is a lower tier console any different? Sure in an ideal world games would be designed strictly for the newest and most powerful hardware without having to worry about running on older/weaker hardware but that's just never been the case. Even in other console generations where there was no BC most all games were released on PC where they still had to deal with this scenario. Scalability is something that dev teams at this point should be both very familiar with and very good at.

HellBlade 2 sure isn't held back by anything, it is a true generational leap in graphics in every possible way. It literally blows away everything else so far.

A Theoretical 3TF difference wont matter. It wont have other limits holding it back too, like the 4Pro suffered compared to OneX. That wont happen this time around. It wont have limited memory bandwidth. It wont have limited memory capacity. The performance difference will just scale with resolution or scale with minor graphical effects.

Maybe at a push, if MS goes full out using every TF for a first party title, it could have some extra impact visually.

How much are you going to cry if that doesn't happen tho?

There's nothing to cry about, if someone does that over a toy something has gone wrong somewhere :) The only thing those boxes are going to be used for is gaming, its a gamesconsole, theres so much more to life then that.
There have been insiders/journalists leaking both 9TF or lower, all the way up to 13TF, or even higher sometimes, depending on the leaker. Obviously the ones saying around 12TF are getting the spotlights, hence why the desire to leak a higher number. If i was going to leak, i would rather pick 13TF then 8, if i would want to have the spotlights on me. What i want to say is that people shouldn't be too worried about teraflops, maybe expect the lowest, 7TF, and never be dissapointed ;)

Maybe at a push, if MS goes full out using every TF for a first party title, it could have some extra impact visually.

But only at a push. The most powerful base console of this generation resulted in Horizon Zero Dawn, one of the best looking games of this generation. The weakest console of this generation gave us Zelda Breath of the Wild, another one of the best looking games of this generation.

I'd like the PS5, or a PS5Pro, to be the most powerful console of the coming generation because it'll guarantee the minimum visual compromises with multiplatform games. But an 1800p resolution and lower quality reflections isn't going to hamper my enjoyment of them.

If Sony's "rumoured" price problems are related to 18Gbit GDDR6, yield at 2Ghz or their "custom" flash solution then MS might not share the same rumoured problems.

But then it's a bit pointless discussing "rumoured" price problems of imaginary price targets...

You really believe in a 2 Ghz APU? Why would Sony choose to remodel de PS5 APU, and go for a 2 Ghz solution? All of us have the notion that a product with such high speeds could have yield problems, and become more expensive and problematic than a larger GPU. Consoles can last up to 8 years, with its hardware being more and more pushed over the years, and with 90% or more of its users never cleaning the vents or replacing the thermal paste. If the thermals are so pushed at launch, how to last a generation without problems?
Why think that Sony was not aware of that? Even though they are hardware manufacturers?

I will genuinely question any position which interests me. You think this matters, I do not understand why. When I asked for clarification you, you avoided the question. I'm genuinely interested whyy uo think this matters. Any more than Sony revealing three months before Microsoft in 2013. Because I don't think timing of the reveals had anything to do with how this gen played out.
Ok. Before you hurt your chest with your fists, learn to read and then come back to me.
I explained why quit clearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back