Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is large and larger and larger from Generation to Generation or do you like Popups?

Hey, spend some time learning and you'll be pleasantly surprised that it's not growing at alarming rates and that having nearly instant stream from mass storage to memory does indeed solve so many problems.

Edit: keep in mind that games are going from 5.5 GB memory on 4Pro to having theoretical 12GB available. That right there is a 2x increase. Even larger increase if entire 16GB is available.

Add in another cost delta for SSD over HDD, and MS is probably eating $50-80 on top of the launch X1X cost.

Damn, understand sony wasn’t going to do that.

I wouldnt think so, even if we only had 150 M/s hard drives, but we have over 3.5 G/s ssds.

Or were you questioning slower speed ram vs faster speed ram?

No just the gddr6, i also think would suffice with ’just 16gb’ of it. Ofcourse more is better but thats always. Gddr6 is going to be faster then the 8gb gddr5 in ps4/xbox one.

16gb gddr6 wouldnt be too bad anyway?

I think it's fine. I don't think assets will really blow up. Despite the 8K talk, I think this next gen will stablize at 4K.

At least I haven't seen devs griping about not having enough RAM this late in the generation whereas that seemed to be a very prevalent complaint at the tail end of 360/PS3.

I don't think we need to store more assets in memory, we need more CPU and GPU compute to operate on what's already there (destructible environments, simulation AI, etc)

Just speculation but I think the final design of the PS5 will be very similar to the v-shaped dev kit we saw. It would seem strange to me that Sony would put that much thought and engineering effort into a design like that just for a dev kit. If we assume that is the final form factor of PS5 does that have any impact on what everyone thinks it's final specs will be? MS opted for a pretty large box and completely did away with the typical console design we've come to expect. I have to assume that was to accommodate for a design goal that they didn't think was achievable in a smaller form factor. That leads me to wonder if the size of the boxes this time around is already telling us something. If you look at what MS was able to do with the XB1X, I think most were surprised at the time that they were able to design a box slightly smaller than the 1S with the power the 1X has. Under Phil and in recent years with the Surface team as well it seems that MS has a lot more pride in the hardware it puts out. I find it odd that they wouldn't try to wow people with both hardware capabilities and the physical design of their new console. The other thought I had is that Sony seems to care a lot less about the noise of their consoles. It could be possible that MS could've hit their design goals in a smaller box but the noise level would've been more than they were willing to allow.

I think it's fine. I don't think assets will really blow up. Despite the 8K talk, I think this next gen will stablize at 4K.

At least I haven't seen devs griping about not having enough RAM this late in the generation whereas that seemed to be a very prevalent complaint at the tail end of 360/PS3.

I don't think we need to store more assets in memory, we need more CPU and GPU compute to operate on what's already there (destructible environments, simulation AI, etc)

I think we should take solace in the fact that the 2080ti's' frame buffer is still only 11GB. That seems to be plenty for 4K.

I guess the main issue with ‘just’ 16gb is that these consoles should be good for 7 years, I can see it’s fine from the off, but will it hold consoles back later on?

I think we should take solace in the fact that the 2080ti's' frame buffer is still only 11GB. That seems to be plenty for 4K.

Thats entirely dedicated to the gpu though, also two years old by then. A 3080Ti most likely will be close to that 16gb, but just for vram. Most 2080Ti level gpus live next to 32gb system ram, in some cases 16.

Hey, spend some time learning and you'll be pleasantly surprised that it's not growing at alarming rates and that having nearly instant stream from mass storage to memory does indeed solve so many problems.

Edit: keep in mind that games are going from 5.5 GB memory on 4Pro to having theoretical 12GB available. That right there is a 2x increase. Even larger increase if entire 16GB is available.

+1 and at least devs seem to be able to use high res texture and have 1 texel per pixel density for the near player assets if we listen to this indie dev for PS5 but it will be the same for XSX.

https://www.psu.com/news/martha-is-dead-dev-impressed-by-ps5s-previously-unannounced-texel-density/

PS5’s specifications are incredibly exciting – particularly for us is the additional graphical power and inclusion of ray-tracing architecture. Our studio has come a long way over four years and Martha Is Dead will strive for photorealism. We’re excited to see the next-generation hardware incoming to support us bringing our vision to players.

We worked a lot in order to use the highest-resolution textures as possible also on PS4; nonetheless, PS5 will allow us to use an incredible Texel density, up to 4096px/m – that means the visual will be fully detailed also in higher resolutions. It’s one of the most important advances in visual capacity that we were waiting for.

The RAM size coupled with an SSD seems to be ok to have the best texture quality at 4k. Going over this would be unuseful. People really need to learn about streaming.

Thats entirely dedicated to the gpu though, also two years old by then. A 3080Ti most likely will be close to that 16gb, but just for vram. Most 2080Ti level gpus live next to 32gb system ram, in some cases 16.
I expect the GDDR6 to be mostly dedicated to games. A smaller DDR pool (preferably LPDDR IMO) makes sense for OS/background/app switching/standby tasks. Doesn't even need to be managed directly by the SoC, or will be shared with an ARM processor potentially.

Not sure on XSX but on PS5 it's rumored to have a 2 or 4GB of DDR4 pool of memory reserved for the OS. So it'll mean more GDDR6 memory for games.

Even that will come very expensive (especially for if 16+ Gbps RAM is used).

These are prices from Micron last year

View attachment 3644
This would make 16GB of GDDR6 14Gbps RAM - $176 (Jeez...)

I guess bulk buying and long contracts can slash that at least in low 100s, but for 16-18Gbps chips its another step up.
These are prices from digikey, mouser, farnell, etc... These places sell to the unit and up to the low 1000's, and they make a profit from having some on hand for prototyping work and repairs.

Look at this $18 for 1GB of DDR4-2400, in qty of 2000.
https://www.digikey.com/product-det...A512M16JY-083E-AUT-B-TR/557-1689-2-ND/6136133

We should ignore price lists built from these resellers, it has nothing to do with contract prices. The only reasonable place we have is dramxchange, and once in a while we get an article from eetimes or some other silicon market publication talking about dram contract prices.

In 2013, the estimate contract price for 8G ddr3 was $60 and gddr5 was $88 for consoles BOM.
Ddr4 is $3.56 per GB right now, so gddr6 middle bin would probably be around $4.50 to $5 per GB.

Last edited:
Not sure on XSX but on PS5 it's rumored to have a 2 or 4GB of DDR4 pool of memory reserved for the OS. So it'll mean more GDDR6 memory for games.
Only saw 4chan with this kind of rumor though.
And not sure what's the point adding cost for it since 16GB(-3 for OS) GDDR6 is enough(actually look at XBX even 12GB(-3 for OS) GDDR5 is also enough).

Right, the thought is 3GB of that 16GB could be used by the OS for other tasks. Or are you saying there are tests for the iGPU (not the discrete GPUs) that show 16GB VRAM? So then the design would be 16GB plus additional ram for OS use. Most likely being 4GB due to memory sizing.

Edit: on the PC do they even limit the amount of memory for GPU use anymore? Way back in the day, they had BIOS options to set GPU limits.

Only saw 4chan with this kind of rumor though.
And not sure what's the point adding cost for it since 16GB(-3 for OS) GDDR6 is enough(actually look at XBX even 12GB(-3 for OS) GDDR5 is also enough).
Well it may be enough for Microsoft architects, but 13GB for games may well not be enough for Cerny's vision for PS5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back