Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Klee's story reads like 4Chan. I refuse to believe someone who works on big next gen title takes his private USB, puts secret project on it and shows it around (while providing spec sheet as well).

After that, guy you showed it to and gave specs sheet goes to very well known gaming forum and posts everything in details for months.

Sounds fishy and I dont see why should I believe someone just because he was journalist in 90's.

As for Jason, he was not specific in either of his posts (though he did say they target over 10.7TF Stadia number). But he also said he doesnt know TFs and that he heard "everything is 2x as fast".

In general, no body provided specifics and until they get dev documentations or exact spec sheet, I dont see why should I take they word as gospel.

Things change. How do we know he still has the inside line? My boss's boss was a former developer from 20 years ago but I wouldn't say he still has what's required to develop today.
What are you implying here? That his contact from previously being in the industry duped him into a false story? He’s not removing rods from a fission reactor here. He’s passing along info he’s been told by someone else.

Klee's story reads like 4Chan. I refuse to believe someone who works on big next gen title takes his private USB, puts secret project on it and shows it around (while providing spec sheet as well).

After that, guy you showed it to and gave specs sheet goes to very well known gaming forum and posts everything in details for months.

Sounds fishy and I dont see why should I believe someone just because he was journalist in 90's.

As for Jason, he was not specific in either of his posts (though he did say they target over 10.7TF Stadia number). But he also said he doesnt know TFs and that he heard "everything is 2x as fast".

In general, no body provided specifics and until they get dev documentations or exact spec sheet, I dont see why should I take they word as gospel.

You’ve read about Randy Pitchford’s antics, right? This is downright innocuous by comparison.

What are you implying here? That his contact from previously being in the industry duped him into a false story? He’s not removing rods from a fission reactor here. He’s passing along info he’s been told by someone else.

You’ve read about Randy Pitchford’s antics, right? This is downright innocuous by comparison.
We know nothing of his sources though. We can come up with a million reasons why he should be trusted or not. He’s more credible than say other people. But; sources can be wrong even if they are truthful

Nah...he is posting informations about unanounced project for next gen that he got from old friend who put it onto his private USB and shared it, together with spec sheet. Big, big difference.

I dont know where you work, but where I work (and have in past) putting anything work related on your USB, let alone next gen project or actual spec sheets, and have your friend share it for months online is big no no and is actually punishable by law.
Randy Pitchford being worst hardly means I should trust something that just doesnt quite sound right.

Apart from that, I have issue with Klee knowing when and why PS5 was delayed and when the PS meeting will be held. Second information hasnt been mentioned by one credible journalist except for him, and in the end it didnt happen

We know nothing of his sources though. We can come up with a million reasons why he should be trusted or not. He’s more credible than say other people. But; sources can be wrong even if they are truthful
This applies to any journalist worth their salt because they protect their sources and don’t leak like sieve.

The bottom line is that people will rationalize anything they want to despite inconstant criteria.

Klee and Jason are basically saying the same damn thing on this one particular matter and that doesn’t matter for some people.

No, just as he's moved onto different job, others could move on to different jobs too, so former sources may not be current sources or have the same quality of information.
He was talking about an active game developer who showed him a game in development.

No, just as he's moved onto different job, others could move on to different jobs too, so former sources may not be current sources or have the same quality of information.

This applies to any journalist worth their salt because they protect their sources and don’t leak like sieve.

The bottom line is that people will rationalize anything they want to despite inconstant criteria.
Anyone can actually find the guy who leaked that. He provided way, way too much detail and any company worth their salt would be able to find a guy taking studio data on his USB and showing it around. Especially when you also know he gave spec sheet away to 3rd party (and NO journalist has been able to get their hands on specs till now).

Anyone can actually find the guy who leaked that. He provided way, way too much detail and any company worth their salt would be able to find a guy taking studio data on his USB and showing it around. Especially when you also know he gave spec sheet away to 3rd party (and NO journalist has been able to get their hands on specs till now).
And yet the PS5 PCB leaker remains a mystery.

And yet the PS5 PCB leaker remains a mystery.
And yet its 100x smaller leak and much more likely to happen.

What is the chance that some low level guy who works at factory line saw what is on PCB and leaked it? Not big, but would not be surprising.

Whats the chance someone takes studios unnanounce next gen game and puts it on his private USB, then shares it along with spec sheet with his friend who leaks stuff about it for months and yet nothing happens?

I want to mention that PCB leak was first to mention 18Gbps chips and 256bit bus, and had die size matching what 40CU + Zen2 layout would provide before Navi was ever shown. It was also first one to mention actual APU based dev kit just month before V style dev kits went out. First, everyone (including yourself if I remember) said that clamshell for 18Gbps is no go. Then everyone said no way are actual APU based dev kits going out...yet, month after we got confirmation they did get out.

Is there anything Klee broke at all? Jason said 10.7TF+ before him. 12TF RDNA leaked back in January and then again by WC in early december. VRS/RT were all but confirmed for next Navi duo to driver leaks.

So, what story did he break?

And yet its 100x smaller leak and much more likely to happen.

What is the chance that some low level guy who works at factory line saw what is on PCB and leaked it? Not big, but would not be surprising.

Whats the chance someone takes studios unnanounce next gen game and puts it on his private USB, then shares it along with spec sheet with his friend who leaks stuff about it for months and yet nothing happens?

I want to mention that PCB leak was first to mention 18Gbps chips and 256bit bus, and had die size matching what 40CU + Zen2 layout would provide before Navi was ever shown. It was also first one to mention actual APU based dev kit just month before V style dev kits went out. First, everyone (including yourself if I remember) said that clamshell for 18Gbps is no go. Then everyone said no way are actual APU based dev kits going out...yet, month after we got confirmation they did get out.

Is there anything Klee broke at all? Jason said 10.7TF+ before him. 12TF RDNA leaked back in January and then again by WC in early december. VRS/RT were all but confirmed for next Navi duo to driver leaks.

So, what story did he break?
He was the first to claim VRS for PS5. Moreover, he did it before VRS was a RDNA 2 confirmed feature.
Before that, go read EGM.

Your attempt to proscribe relative likelihood of these leaks is fantastical. I don’t even know how to address it.

People are also overlooking the fact that he was posting on a forum where fake insiders were regularly being banned (see Osiris), and moderators like Matt were stepping in to clarify misconceptions (yes both have hardware RT, GitHub isn’t fully representative of final hardware).

Last edited:
He was the first to claim VRS for PS5. Moreover, he did it before VRS was a RDNA 2 confirmed feature.

Your attempt to proscribe relative likelihood of these leaks is fantastical. I don’t even know how to address it.

People are also overlooking the fact that he was posting on a forum where fake insiders were regularly being banned (see Osiris), and moderators like Matt were stepping in to clarify misconceptions (yes both have hardware RT, GitHub isn’t fully representative of final hardware).

Not exactly a huge stretch to state that something like VRS would appear on next gen consoles, as it’s one of the most no brainer, beneficial features that has appeared in the last few years. And it literally screams Consoles. Even I thought that as soon as I saw it. And I know nothing.

Not exactly a huge stretch to state that something like VRS would appear on next gen consoles, as it’s one of the most no brainer, beneficial features that has appeared in the last few years. And it literally screams Consoles. Even I thought that as soon as I saw it. And I know nothing.
Except no one else at the time was claiming it had it. Nothing was known about RDNA 2, and people were pointing to the complete lack of Sony patents on the topic and AMD only having one such patent. Hell, MS went of their way to stress their VRS is patented. People claiming stuff like this is obvious in retrospective despite all the consternation and infighting at the time is exasperating.

It literally screams any graphics application because of how much benefit it offers. That’s why it was one of the biggest missing features like Anandtech pointed out.

Last edited:

AMD's patent for VRS was already available on 1st of March (as was MS), and considering performance gains critical for consoles (and fact that RTX cards had it), it was pretty easy educated guess.

It's no 16GB of GDDR6 in clamshell mode on 256bit bus though (and that leak is more likely to be fake then not, even if it matches perfectly to Flute/Oberon before anyone said anything and before anyone expected APU based dev kits to roll out.)

Yes I know its hard to address, because in retrospective it does sound like BS when you read his posts beginning to end. But, I guess with him thinking of starting his own YT channel, bs'ing your way around resetera as insider would result in big following. I mean, all you could muster is VRS for consoles and he is already most legendary insider there.

The fact that he was quoted as much as OsirisBlack around gaming site is another telling sign, he talked way too much about way to vague things and he literally became celebrity. His descriptions of next gen game his friend shown him from his private USB are an easy catch. Any company would be able to locate the guy who did it in an instance. Him getting actual, physical specs sheet for both consoles is even bigger blunder. Him having info about February meeting (while Jason had no idea), and reasons when and why Sony delayed PS5 is another one.

Nah, insiders there are verified on their identity and position in industry, not source. Which was never verified. Osiris was banned because he is literally biggest role playing insider known to gaming forums, you can spot his BS from miles away.

Look, you have an issue with PCB, thats ok. I personally don't put alot of thought in it anymore because we got, coincidentally, corroborating confirmation of the data posted there with real, credible leaks. But your problem with entire leak is "Why didn't he put PCI ID code as well". This is enough to put under the rug the fact that :
  • He broke 256bit bus, 16GB of GDDR6 18Gbps chips before anyone (and this is quite specific in time of HBM and 384bit buses - because "no way Sony goes with same bus width as PS4"
  • He posted dev kit PCB specs at time everyone thought its bullshit because there is no way they will send actual APU based dev kits 1.5yr before release and yet they released first V dev kits in next month
  • Die size matches with Zen 2 + 40CU Navi chip (before Navi was even shown to public). In fact, height he posted (~14.1mm) is extremely close to 256bit 40CU Navi chip (~14.3mm)
And all of that still doesn't make that leak credible. And that's ok, but to take word of a guy who broke nothing as absolute gospel when he got more things wrong then right is just flabbergasting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back