GART: Games and Applications using RayTracing

Status
Not open for further replies.
also dlss has to be targeted at different resolutions and since i play at resolutions that arent the most popular (1680x1050 + 5292x1050) I'm going to be out of luck
I would imagine it would be similar to how you play now. Don't you have to choose a resolution that is available within the game video settings even though your preferred resolution might not be there?

generally no both those resolutions are selectable in game the exceptions are old games that cant handle widescreen aspect ratio's and expect 4:3 or 5:4

I would imagine it would be similar to how you play now. Don't you have to choose a resolution that is available within the game video settings even though your preferred resolution might not be there?
The point is that most PC games are designed to be resolution agnostic. It's a fair criticism of DLSS that you're restricted to whatever resolutions they decide are available due to having to perform training at each resolution.

The point is that most PC games are designed to be resolution agnostic. It's a fair criticism of DLSS that you're restricted to whatever resolutions they decide are available due to having to perform training at each resolution.
Agreed, the point is what DLSS resolutions to include is a studio/developer decision regarding their game.
Question: How will developers be able to measure the performance difference DLSS enables?

Answer: DLSS provides a new way of achieving higher display resolutions without the cost of rendering every pixel in the traditional sense. DLSS is also flexible enough to allow developers to choose the level of performance and resolution scaling they wish rather than being locked to certain multiples of the physical monitor or display size. As DLSS is a post-processing effect, developers can measure performance using the standard timing tools that they already use.
Nvidia's initial improvements on DLSS up-scaling focus on quality/performance over ground truth, but it's hard not to imagine DLSS up-scaling research is already underway on resolutions beyond what we have seen, especially since 8K monitors/TV's will become more mainstream similar to 4K hardware did.

So much shiny-shiny, but the core lighting isn't any better. I wish RT was contributing more to the light realism rather than reflections.

I just found this free2play game through twitter with DXR support: https://davethefreak.itch.io/beyond-evolution
Following the suggestion of @troyan, I tried out this free small game called Beyond Evolution, it's a UE4 title with support for RT shadows, reflections, and indirect shadows (same way as Control), made by one developer, it's a simple platformer game really, with nothing fancy in terms of gameplay or story.

The game is playable maxed out @1440p30 on a 2080Ti, RT indirect shadows from the skylight practically cuts performance from 90fps to 30fps, though the developer states that it's highly experimental. Other RT effects like shadows or reflections only cost 10fps or so (combined). All RT effects look significantly better than their non RT counterparts.

The game was created quickly in a very short amount of time according to the developer.

Is it actually using RTX or just DXR?

So shouldn't we classify them as DX12 DXR games instead of RTX? And only list the Vulkan games as RTX games?

New So shouldn't we classify them as DX12 DXR games instead of RTX? And only list the Vulkan games as RTX games?
Yes I think so, thing is all DX related games were treated and marketed as RTX games considering RTX GPUs were the only game in town.
We also had so many threads about RT, RTX, console RT, compute RT .. etc since the dawn of RTX (a year and a half ago), so it became a mess of threads.

Unreal Engine uses VULKAN? Even on WinOS PC?

RTX is a marketing name for a stack of new Turing technologies (which include DLSS among others). Nothing is "using RTX" since you can't program for a brand name. Something using these new Turing features is accessing them through either D3D12, Vulkan (with vendor extensions), DirectML, NGX or CUDA.

In the context of the conversation, it was regarding RT features that were locked to Turing cards only. And in the course of that conversation, pharma inferred that it's RTX or Turing only. So I wanted to know why it was implied when there was nothing in the tweet or the video to indicate as such.

Unless it was the #RTXon in the tweet, in which case *gag*

Unless it was the #RTXon in the tweet, in which case *gag*
Very good!

Edit: I believe Khronos is currently trying to bring a cross vendor extension based on Nvidia's the VK_NVX_raytracing extension. They planned to speak at GDC 2020 with the different vendors though likely will be held offline.

NVIDIA has written a new technical blog post on bringing HLSL ray-tracing to Vulkan with the same capabilities of DirextX Ray-Tracing. This effort is made feasible by Microsoft's existing open-source DirectXCompiler (DXC) with SPIR-V back-end for consumption by Vulkan drivers. Last year NVIDIA contributed to the open-source DXC support for SPV_NV_ray_tracing. This in turn with the open-source tooling allows converting DXR HLSL shaders into SPIR-V modules for Vulkan.

For now this DirectX Ray Tracing to Vulkan depends upon NVIDIA's NV_ray_tracing extension until the cross-vendor Vulkan ray-tracing extension(s) are finalized and published.
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NVIDIA-DXR-To-Vulkan

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back