Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, I'd say the price must meet consumer expectations, then they try to get the most performance they can out of that profile. It's never been about power first and price second.
All of these consoles have to be designed with a price point in mind.

everyone has a different threshold of what acceptable power is.
I don't know if anyone discussed this, but PS4 Pro sells worse than x1x especially in USA.

This may teach SONY that $100 cheaper price may have little effect if there is large performance gap.

Why would a TF number be important to marketing? Most dont even know what that is. People here ’no more loading’ as more important.
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/02/24/what-you-can-expect-next-generation-gaming/

Look at the picture in the article. What is the first sentence describing the features?

"12 Teraflops"

Well you can ask that question to era and gaf insiders, but they could tell you PS5 will be more powerful than XSX but also cheaper.

If Bloomberg is true Sony's cooling solution is cheap then "narrow and fast" design may really be both faster and cheaper.

Sony even just pushes GPU to 11TF that's enough for them and they can save billions of dollars with "narrow and fast"
design (PS5 BOM $450, Xsx $460~$520).

I don't know how you can draw any of the conclusions. If anything, I think the chances of 9.2 TF (2.0GHz 36CU) PS5 is higher now than before. RDNA2 should allow them to hit that clock and at a more reasonable power consumption, likely similar to the PS4 Pro.

Sony designed a 190W PS3 in 2006. A 190W RDNA2 console with 9TF is in the typical power range for them.

Since Bloomberg points out an "unusually expensive" cooling solution in PS5, the power consumption should probably
be the highest in all Sony's consoles. PS5 is probably 230W (or more) which is > 11TF (at least 44CUs).

Since Bloomberg points out an "unusually expensive" cooling solution in PS5, the power consumption should probably
be the highest in all Sony's consoles.
Whatever their power consumption is i would certainly hope the cooling is not the "usual" for what Playstation has been doing, their noise situation has really been bad this generation.

I don't know if anyone discussed this, but PS4 Pro sells worse than x1x especially in USA.

This may teach SONY that $100 cheaper price may have little effect if there is large performance gap.
hmm, i've never seen the numbers so I suppose that is news to me. I think even if hte ratio is still 1:7, the number of playstations sold 3:1 over xbox should put it ahead of X1X.
//edit new calculation that is correct
Quick math:
Assume PS4s sold is 300,000 for the month
7:1 => Out of 300,000 PS4s, 37500 is 4Pro
PS4 : XBO is 3:1
so that would be for this particular month 300,000 : 100,000
so if Xbox only sells 100,000
then the split to sell more X1X than 4Pro must be
62500 : 37500
or 1.67 : 1

X1S : X1X ratio needs to be 1.67 : 1 in order for there to be more X1X sold than 4Pros per month.
This is a very tall order.

But with respect to the commentary, we have to compare PS4 to 4Pro and XBO to X1X.
I think comparing 4Pro to X1X directly ignores the elephant in the room, which is that the gap between 1S and 1X is 2x the difference between 4 and 4Pro.
Further, the backwards compatibility games are upgraded as well. There are a variety of reasons to get 1X over 1S that (are a result of straight power) but MS put in the effort to make 1X shine vs 1S.

I don't know if the difference between 4 and 4Pro is so pronounced to overcome the price differential for the playstation market.

Last edited:
maybe ratio of XB vs PS consoles or MS sell 1:1 S:X and Sony 2:1 PS4: pro?
4:4pro said it was unchanged from original announcement 7:1
Keeping that number is pretty good.

MS never released their numbers as far as I know.

Look at the picture in the article. What is the first sentence describing the features?

"12 Teraflops"

What you think Sony will claim with a potentionally faster SSD? 3.7Gb/s, versus lets say 2.7Gb/s xbox. Doubt anyone would care about that either. Casual consumers, which most of them are on switch and playstation, don't understand those meanings, they read 'Faster' instead. If anything.

I doubt any of you PS4 users are not going to buy a PS5 just because it has 'just' 9TF of GPU power? Exactly, you buy it because of brand-name, if you more tech oriented people already basically don't care, why would the average joe?

What you think Sony will claim with a potentionally faster SSD? 3.7Gb/s, versus lets say 2.7Gb/s xbox. Doubt anyone would care about that either. Casual consumers, which most of them are on switch and playstation, don't understand those meanings, they read 'Faster' instead. If anything.

I doubt any of you PS4 users are not going to buy a PS5 just because it has 'just' 9TF of GPU power? Exactly, you buy it because of brand-name, if you more tech oriented people already basically don't care, why would the average joe?

First the SSD on Xbox will be 3.75 GB/s and I continue with my over 7 GB/s for PS5.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Alleg...PCIe-4-0-SSD-details-get-leaked.451042.0.html

csm_EO18iiRW4AcLAY5_a4216f79e2.jpg

And first things SSD did it is kill the high res texture pack at 4k on PS5 and probably on Xbox Series X:
https://www.psu.com/news/martha-is-dead-dev-impressed-by-ps5s-previously-unannounced-texel-density/

PS5’s specifications are incredibly exciting – particularly for us is the additional graphical power and inclusion of ray-tracing architecture. Our studio has come a long way over four years and Martha Is Dead will strive for photorealism. We’re excited to see the next-generation hardware incoming to support us bringing our vision to players.

We worked a lot in order to use the highest-resolution textures as possible also on PS4; nonetheless, PS5 will allow us to use an incredible Texel density, up to 4096px/m – that means the visual will be fully detailed also in higher resolutions. It’s one of the most important advances in visual capacity that we were waiting for.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/qbOqP

Explanation about texture density. 1 texel per pixel you can't do better.

Last edited:
First the SSD on Xbox will be 3.75 GB/s and I continue with my over 7 GB/s for PS5.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Alleg...PCIe-4-0-SSD-details-get-leaked.451042.0.html

csm_EO18iiRW4AcLAY5_a4216f79e2.jpg

And first things SSD did it is kille the high res texture pack at 4k on PS5 and probably on Xbox Series X:
https://www.psu.com/news/martha-is-dead-dev-impressed-by-ps5s-previously-unannounced-texel-density/

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/qbOqP

Explanation about texture density. 1 texel per pixel you can't do better.

I just took an example of what Sony sony could advertise with, just threw some numbers. As per your 7Gb/s claim, no idea, but i still think XSX and PS5 will have the same solutions, just like with the RT debate. Exotic solutions rarely come to light, and when they did/do, it only results in less-usage by games except for first party studios. Another, you can't replace GDDR6 or even DDR ram with an SSD even if it would be 7gb/s.

Oh and, that article is there to hype things up, it is abit like AMD or Nvidia claiming 50% increases in areas which never come true anyway. The article doesn't state any numbers we can work with, just that it is incredible and powerfull, 'never seen before' performance etc. We had that with every generation so far.
But you are right the average customer does read articles like that, and get hyped. They dont care about tech specs, they care about 'faster'. Perfect example you gave :)

I just took an example of what Sony sony could advertise with, just threw some numbers. As per your 7Gb/s claim, no idea, but i still think XSX and PS5 will have the same solutions, just like with the RT debate. Another, you can't replace GDDR6 or even DDR ram with an SSD even if it would be 7gb/s.

Oh and, that article is there to hype things up, it is abit like AMD or Nvidia claiming 50% increases in areas which never come true anyway. The article doesn't state any numbers we can work with, just that it is incredible and powerfull, 'never seen before' performance etc. We had that with every generation so far.
But you are right the average customer does read articles like that, and get hyped. They dont care about tech specs, they care about 'faster'. Perfect example you gave :)

You know what streaming means it is good to have assets in memory but you are as slow as your slowest part and you need to load the assets in memory, here it load so fast you can have maximum textures quality.

Last edited:
You know what streaming means it is good to have assets in memort but you are as slow as your slowest part and you need to load the assets in memory, here it load so fast you can maximum textures quality.

Very true, SSD will greatly enhance things besides loading times, but don't expect a world difference to graphical engineering either. On the other hand, the SSD is probably the biggest improvement after the CPU.

So now with the PS5 the Life of Black Tiger can actually have textures?

lol and the comment comes from an indie dev, it just means PS5 and XSX can have perfect texture in 4k no need for high quality texture pack at 4k, that's all.

Very true, SSD will greatly enhance things besides loading times, but don't expect a world difference to graphical engineering either. On the other hand, the SSD is probably the biggest improvement after the CPU.

This is maybe only a first application for the SSD maybe they can do more than have high-quality texture pack and load tons of geometry maybe they will be baked offline some crazy stuff and be able to load it in realtime.

But same why only oberon have no theoretical value? There is something very strange. Why all the other chip before or after Oberon have theoretical data? This is the only chip without theoretical value inside the repository. There is something strange and I am not sure if the chip is RDNA1 or RDNA2 at all.

It's almost like the github data is incomplete, fragmentary, filled with errors, lacking context and not actually proof of anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back