Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, some are claiming Xbox is not really RDNA 2, but RDNA 1.9. Basicaly a custom RDNA 1 with RDNA 2 features, including Ray Tracing. But since A

Just a theory to answer your question. A what if!

Here's AMD roadmap!

amd_ray_tracing.jpg

As you can see RDNA 2 was always refered as not having total Ray Tracing capabilities, or at leat the power for it (selected lighting effects). That would only happen mixing RDNA 2 with the cloud... Something Microsoft can do easily!

Now what if Sony, not having the same infrastructure, used an ASIC, a bit Nvidia style, to complement RDNA 2, skipping the cloud?

A secret sauce.

As I said, just a Theory...

Full Scene realtime RT in an AAA game out of $400-$500 console!!! If so, everybody else has fucked up. LOL

30 minutes left? lol... and the rumour is cuttttt.
alright... i'll check back when it's all over. i suspect nothing we haven't heard.

clearly the poster was an AMD employee.. lol. fucking guy got everyone to tune in.

oh no.. i may have spoken too soon.
gooooooooooo!

nvm; leak debunked.

wait; intermission? how long is this event? I thought it was 2 hrs

Last edited:
Wouldnt that require obscene amounts of bandwidth to ship the RayTracing data between GPU and ASIC, especially at 120 Hz?
Assuming you trace N rays per pixel, BW would be somewhat comparable to generating N gbuffers, but no compression seems to make sense here..
We could imagine giving a screen sized texture of generated rays positions and directions, and getting back another texture with hip hit triangle indices and barycentric coords.
I think that's quite practical, but depends on N.
(EDIT: ofc. that's only BW between ASIC and GPU, assuming ASIC has it's own memory system for scene data)

In contrast, cloud assisted realtime raytracing makes zero sense to me. Why a powerful console at all then?

Interesting: They mention 'Tensors' only for data center CDNA architecture.
Probably RDNA2 sticks just at extra dot product ops.
Good compromise.

+50% perf / watt over RDNA1 also means my expeptions they would create another great architecture for next gen seems fullfilled. XD

So RDNA offered 1.25x more performance per clock over GCN. And RDNA2 offers 1.15X more performance per clock over RDNA?

Would that mean that RDNA2 offers close to 44% more performance per clock over GCN?

So RDNA offered 1.25x more performance per clock over GCN. And RDNA2 offers 1.15X more performance per clock over RDNA?

Would that mean that RDNA2 offers close to 44% more performance per clock over GCN?
not ipc related, but AMD came up with this simple math regarding energy efficiency

AMD-RDNA2-3-740x381.png

Also interesting: They mention DXR 1.1, but not beyond. Could mean no traversal shader support, so no stochastic LOD. But also not requiring CUs for traversal.
We'll see...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back