Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Low Power Model like Lockart hold back the more powerful X Model, not everything is easy scaleable. You can't just scale things like that. There is a reason why Nintendo Switch ports always come so much later. If you have to support Lockhart then the result suffers, especially if the thing also has less RAM. Not a good idea, Series X Model cannot reach his full Potential it is like a PC with different Hardwarecomponents , plus no exclusiv Games. You cannot sell a Gaming Console only in point of a Consumer and Dev unfriendly Eco Systems and denied the importance of Exclusivcontent , Quality etc.

Earlier this week we brought you the rumor that Xbox Scarlett was once again (or perhaps always was) going to be split into two SKUs -- a powerful, top-of-the-line system (codenamed Anaconda) and a more mainstream option (codenamed Lockhart). Well, the originator of that report, Jason Schreier, recently provided a bit more information about Lockhart on the latest episode of Kotaku’s Splitscreen podcast. According to Schreier, Scarlett developers aren’t exactly thrilled with Lockhart, which is said to have “significantly” less RAM than the less-powerful Anaconda model…

GamesRadar say there's rumours of an imminent PS5 Wired cover.

Second wired article was 6 months after first so if no new news from AMD tonight the next date in our calendars should be... mid-April.

Mid April for ps5 reveal/semi-reveal, heard it here first.

You know all Xbox game will be also on PC with many of PC players have less power specs than Lockhart right.
Also you should go check Digital Foundry for the recent video about Lockhart, not Kotaku "journalist".

I have speak with a german Game developner he had worked for Crytek , on a Computer Techsite /Forum , so from 1. Hand you know and i trust him more , he is more serious than those pseudoexperts from Digitalfoundry and co. they are not Independent and he says cleary Lockart hold back nextgen Development and increase the Cost to support both Models.

To play the devil's advocate here, I'm quite happy there's a Lockhart. It means I can still play my PC ports gracefully without shelling out ungodly money for a high-end video card just to keep up with Anaconda.

Realistically though, devs creating a game will probably set themselves a sane bottom end. How many people on integrated graphics are trying to run Metro Exodus or RDR2?
On the other hand, if there were only one SKU at the more conventional $399, we'd see a lower target, at which point, what does a 7-9TF console allow at up to 4K that would be impractical at 4TF at 1080p+ in terms of designing the rendering engine (if we're so inclined to hop the multiverse) :?:

The tricky part to Lockhart is the overall clocks & front-end in terms of bottleneck shifts; I have no data, but one could make the argument that the clocks are that much more important at the lower resolution where the triangle to pixel ratio increases for a given LOD, and so the culling/tiling capabilities of Navi might be more important :?: /gibberish :oops:

(and naturally CPU, although it's probably close enough that it'll be a framerate hiccough issue if anything rather than design since they'd be close enough)

Last edited:
Realistically though, devs creating a game will probably set themselves a sane bottom end. How many people on integrated graphics are trying to run Metro Exodus or RDR2?
Probably enough to warrant it being supported.
Bigger concern if they target Lockhart so can't hit 4k on xsx :runaway:

Lockhart isn't even a console system.
well we don't know that for sure.
There are a wide range of products that MS could support.
But if Lockhart isn't announced for launch then I would agree fully that it's likely not a console.

the window for announcing a budget console is closing though.

On the other hand, if there were only one SKU at the more conventional $399, we'd see a lower target, at which point, what does a 7-9TF console allow at up to 4K that would be impractical at 4TF at 1080p+ in terms of designing the rendering engine (if we're so inclined to hop the multiverse) :?:

This makes sense, if MS go with a 2 SKU launch, they basically cover both markets, with only resolution and possibly frame rate suffering. While having a 12TF machine to cater the max graphics @4k, it won't be held back much if at all, as per the DF video, a possible lockhart won't hold it back.

Can we talk about this, actually?

AMD and MS on stage TODAY to talk next gen and Xbox. Allegedly.

And Sony is still tweeting about PS2, and PS4, and quite literally everything but PS5, including - no joke - a reminder that you could turn the logo on the PS2 so that it would look right when having it sideways.

Can’t deal.
At the very least, I hope to get some information on their GPU products maybe. Hopefully this isn't that boring.
MS might show only because, perhaps they are going for different this time around; like they went bold with VGA.

I doubt we will get anything new about XSX and PS5 in AMD Financial Analyst Day since both side didn't tease it.

I mean it's a 5 hour long stream, image a Xbox or Sony fans sitting there for 5 hours and end up getting nothing:LOL:.

Last edited:
The problem with Sony's timing is that their strengths are expected to be their first party games, the price, and the value proposition of a balanced system down to a price point. (assuming they have the 24% smaller gpu from github, which is likely)

They can't claim to be less expensive until MS announce the price. They can't show how specs differences don't show any noticeable distinction without having real gameplay footage from third parties. They can't show the real first party footage yet. They don't want to sell at a loss unless MS forces them to.

As DF said, it's a game of chicken. The longer they wait, the better they will be positionned to play their strenghs.

I doubt we will get anything new about XSX and PS5 in AMD Financial Analyst Day since both site didn't tease it.

I mean it's a 5 hour long stream, image a Xbox or Sony fans sitting there for 5 hours and end up getting nothing:LOL:.

It's probably about where the big money is, server, dgpu/cpu, hpc, professional/workstation etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back