Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the timeline on leaked engineering/QA SPU samples and devkit relase in july 2019 supports the idea of PS5 GPU being RDNA2 based technology.

Hmmm... That's awkward. I just got off the phone talking to a friend working in the industry, he said ps5 devkits are 7TF and the rumors probably come from the 16bit TF figure. The specs are being announced tomorrow anyway.

Bah! They forgot to turn on the second GPU obviously, for the full fat 14TF.

Full specs revealed as a trailer before all showings of Morbius, in cinemas this June.

3pm-6pm Pacific Rim Uprising Time

First result was listing different Pacific Standard Time (not yet had the time leap forward).

On Thursday, AMD will host Financial Analyst Day from 1:00 PM–6:00 PM PT (4:00 PM–9:00 PM ET). At the event, Wall Street analysts will look for additional information on the deadly coronavirus scare. Analysts will also look for AMD's updated long-term financial outlook

Can we talk about this, actually?

AMD and MS on stage TODAY to talk next gen and Xbox. Allegedly.

And Sony is still tweeting about PS2, and PS4, and quite literally everything but PS5, including - no joke - a reminder that you could turn the logo on the PS2 so that it would look right when having it sideways.

Can’t deal.

Can we talk about this, actually?

AMD and MS on stage TODAY to talk next gen and Xbox. Allegedly.

And Sony is still tweeting about PS2, and PS4, and quite literally everything but PS5, including - no joke - a reminder that you could turn the logo on the PS2 so that it would look right when having it sideways.

Can’t deal.
I doubt there will be anything related to Xbox there. If there is, and if its "RDNA2...power...RDNA2...yadda yadda" I will consider that to be tactics from MS that will last until refresh consoles come in 3-4 years.

Most don’t believe that was the final APU.
January 2019 - Ariel 13E9 (1.0GHz ES) - Gonzalo platform, FS score 10k

April 2019 - Ariel (?) 13F8 (1.8GHz QS) - Gonzalo platform, FS score 20k+

July 2019 - Oberon 13F9 (??GHz) - Flute platform

This is timeline of Ariel/Oberon leaks. Note that time of leak does not tell us stepping of chip actual dates from that date.

Its funny that Oberon has higher cache latency then Ariel in tests. I wondered for a while now if Oberon is Ariel + RT/VRS, that back in 2018 when Sony was working on BC (and we know they had issues with this), couldn't yet be implemented. No doubt Oberon is being tested against Ariel iGPU specs, therefore I am pretty sure there was no RT in Ariel (GFX10).

Last edited:
Most don’t believe that was the final APU.

I'm sure it wasn't. Very early stepping chip, but all features should be there already (RDNA1 or RDNA2). And it'll have to use the same process than the final chip. Changing those would mean basically designing a new APU (with great expenses and time) and throwing away the old APU design.

I'm sure it wasn't. Very early stepping chip, but all features should be there already (RDNA1 or RDNA2). And it'll have to use the same process than the final chip. Changing those would mean basically designing a new APU (with great expenses and time) and throwing away the old APU design.
Which is exactly what they would have done in this scenario. How is it plausible to have a developmental RDNA 2 design at the same time they’re finalizing RDNA 1 in silicon?

Keep in mind they could have done an off the shelf Zen 2 and Navi 10 chiplet with only needing a custom IO die and package. The package pinout could even be compatible with the final design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back