Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your google-fu isn't good enough. I do found Bryttany Messina, but currently only found that she had worked as a programmer for Taldren software (97-05). Her twitter only said that she is an avid gamer and former programmer. Her life events on FB says that she started new job at McDonald's since 2014. I haven't see her linked to Activision tho. Anyway, I doubt she had access to information about PS5 devkits.

McDonald's are probably using the PS5 Devkit for making ray traced pictures of the burgers, make them look juicy and shiny

It’s getting crazy now, Sony better come out and say something to calm the hype, there are going to be some seriously pissed people.....or it’s going to be late night drinking sessions till the PS5 comes out.

I can only imagine how lit the day would be when all the specs down to the last drop of flop is revealed and scrutinized for both systems, the meltdown, the tears and the laughter in all forums will be something to remember.
SeveralUglyIndianrhinoceros-max-1mb.gif

I can only imagine how lit the day would be when all the specs down to the last drop of flop is revealed and scrutinized for both systems, the meltdown, the tears and the laughter in all forums will be something to remember.
SeveralUglyIndianrhinoceros-max-1mb.gif
And both are deemed to be near-identical.

Is there way other than GDC to in a d
The best result would be if the specs were 100% identical, because people would still argue for the next six years over "secret sauce" and optimizations.

FreeBSD is now up to version 12. If PS5 uses that then XSX is toast. PS5 will have 20% more OS power than Win10.

Last edited:
Reactions: JPT
And both are deemed to be near-identical.
I just hope the term "near identical" those insiders been throwing around actually means what the term means, which is tiny tiny slight difference short of exactly the same. Not a 3TF wide gap, or even 2 TF but in the realm of ~1TF or less.

I just hope the term "near identical" those insiders been throwing around actually means what the term means, which is tiny tiny slight difference short of exactly the same. Not a 3TF wide gap, or even 2 TF but in the realm of ~1TF or less.
The use of absolute TF gap makes no sense in this context. And you establish your own definition of a subjective term based on how you feel an objective number fits the word.

It's up to devs to say whether the actual performance is near identical in the way it affects their work and optimization required.

For the gamers it will alway be subjectively judged by what the games look like. If you can't tell the difference without pausing the game and measuring pixels, any reasonable person would agree they are identical. And if you can barely see a small difference, it fits the term nearly identical.

PS5 final silicon will become this since Bloomberg reports the cooling solution is only several dollars:

GPU 14 TF (54CUs at 2.026 GHz)
RT Patented RT (between RTX 2080~3080)
RAM 16GB HBM2E & 8GB DDR4
SSD 4GB/s x compression ratio 2.5 = 10GB/s

base model 750GB, $449
7nm+ process, March 2021

For the gamers it will alway be subjectively judged by what the games look like. If you can't tell the difference without pausing the game and measuring pixels, any reasonable person would agree they are identical. And if you can barely see a small difference, it fits the term nearly identical.
Indeed. In The Olden Days, computers were often measured in MIPS and MHz. You'd get processors of very different designs capable of many more MIPS or MHz, but do less and so not be more powerful. A CPU that does 10x as many instructions per second as another isn't ten times faster if it has to use 10x as many instructions to do the same job.

Theoretically, let's say Sony have a magical upscaler that can convert half the resolution to native without any loss of quality. Then half the TFs would still result in identical performance.

(I fear ultragpu is having a relapse. We might need to organise an intervention)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back