Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you got no friends telling you confidential info about their place of work? It's not uncommon by any stretch; it's normal human behaviour. The only people who won't share with their long-term friends are spies. ;)
This is 100% true. It happens quite often.
It was a tweet or post from someone MS that hinted with arrows pointing to the PS5, 8 in total, and 12 to the XSX.
This is about as valid as those GAF insiders.

What technical merits? That they are close? Just like last gen PS4 and One were close. *shrug*
This quote didn't say close. It said "a tiny bit slower/faster." 9 to 12 isn't a tiny bit. It's another unvalidated faith-based source on the side against the 9:12ers.

Last edited:
There's still much we don't know about the next generation of console hardware and while the prospect of Zen 2 CPU cores, solid state storage, ray tracing and 2x the graphics power of Xbox One X sounds awesome, 4A reckons there's more to come. "I am more excited for not yet publicly revealed things," Oles Shishkovstov says, enigmatically.
Sony went on record saying there was more to reveal:

In a juicy interview with Business Insider Japan (as translated by Gematsu), Ryan talks up the PS5 and what it's capable of without giving too much away. However, he also teases "unique elements" and "bigger differences" that Sony isn't ready to reveal yet. "There are still more unique elements for PlayStation 5 to come that separate it from previous consoles. The ‘bigger differences’ have yet to be announced," says Ryan.

I hope it's something(s) actually good!

It said "a tiny bit slower/faster."

Isn't that [a tiny bit] a synonym for close?

My point is, the parsing of subjective terms and non-technical statements are how we got the statement of "The Ps4 and Xbox One are close." on the last next-gen go around.

Xist.jpg

What technical merits? That they are close? Just like last gen PS4 and One were close. *shrug*

Before it was 'close', with the PS5 being more powerfull, according to osorisblack, then he says XSX is more powerfull. Now were at tiny more powerfulll.

This is about as valid as those GAF insiders.

Ah ok, back to square one then. The thirst after real insiders is big and it shows.

It doesn't make it true, but it doesn't make it false either. Likewise, some info on B3D from some poster isn't true because it's B3D nor is it false because it's B3D.

Very true.

Could it be software related?

Sony went on record saying there was more to reveal:

In a juicy interview with Business Insider Japan (as translated by Gematsu), Ryan talks up the PS5 and what it's capable of without giving too much away. However, he also teases "unique elements" and "bigger differences" that Sony isn't ready to reveal yet. "There are still more unique elements for PlayStation 5 to come that separate it from previous consoles. The ‘bigger differences’ have yet to be announced," says Ryan.

Differences... separate it from... unique....

That careful choice of words isn't giving me much confidence. If Mark Cerny, or Herman Hulst, or Shu Yoshida, said this it would get me really interested. But Jim Ryan is an executive, so he gets excited by business models and services. Maybe I'm wrong.

Differences... separate it from... unique....

That careful choice of words isn't giving me much confidence. If Mark Cerny, or Herman Hulst, or Shu Yoshida, said this it would get me really interested. But Jim Ryan is an executive, so he gets excited by business models and services. Maybe I'm wrong.

Can't be much hardware related that would be interesting.

Isn't that [a tiny bit] a synonym for close?
Yes, but you quantified 'close' by example as difference between XB1 and PS4, and previous references to 'close' were justifiable for 9.2 tfs versus 12 tfs as they could mean close in terms of what's seen on screen. This quote gives a different measure of how close the two systems are rumoured to be.

do you go into churches and criticise the people who go there?

This is more akin to protesting outside abortion clinics because their practices are against his beliefs.
Except he doesn't even stay at the door. He barges inside and yells at the people mid-procedure.

Yes, but you quantified 'close' by example as difference between XB1 and PS4, and previous references to 'close' were justifiable for 9.2 tfs versus 12 tfs as they could mean close in terms of what's seen on screen. This quote gives a different measure of how close the two systems are rumoured to be.
The XB1 and PS4 were never close.
DF spends the first 7m30 of the video mentioned here how the discrepancies between the two 2013 consoles just kept getting larger as time went on.

do you go into churches and criticise the people who go there?

No offcourse not, everyone is entitled to believe in what they want to believe in. Everyone is also entitled to not believe in what they refuse to.
In this case, if you want it to be 13TF, or higher, you will find answers to that, that will fit your narrative. There's magnitude of 'insiders' and even officials who claim PS5 will be around 9TF, but those aren't 'seen' because those you want to refuse to believe.

Both the 13TF and 9TF for PS5 have substantial leaks from insiders, only the 9TF can be backed up by data coming from AMD themselfs, which DF explained must be the PS5, although possibly not in final form. That's the state of it today. We are in the baseless section so anyone is offcourse welcome to discuss any leak, even if its unfounded or outright fiction, but every discussion will be discussed and countered, it's a forum :)

And again, no i have nothing against what leaks people believe in, it's the same the other way around though ;)

It all depends, without actual data, we can only assume. The ones that want 12 versus 12TF (give or take), are going to take it as that, others that are more sceptical are going to believe it could imply a bigger difference (9.2 vs 11.6).

From my perspective, 9.2 vs 12TF could be seen as a tiny difference in the final result on screen, in special in cross plat games, and this what most likely the friend to him had seen, onscreen results of the two games.

Yes, but you quantified 'close' by example as difference between XB1 and PS4

It's a bit more nuanced than that, but everyone went with the headline from Polygon news story from John Carmack that "PS4 and Xbox One are very close." And everyone remembers what the actual performance difference was.

Carmack on next-gen console hardware: 'very close,' 'very good'

id Software technical director John Carmack is impressed with the Xbox One and PlayStation 4, but said he hadn't done enough benchmarking to crown a winner in the next-gen console war during his infamously lengthy QuakeCon 2013 keynote address.

Carmack kicked off his speech by addressing the "elephant in the room," discussing the arrival of a new console generation to a crowd of attendees at the largely PC-focused event. He's optimistic about the coming console cycle, commenting that it's "obviously going to be a good thing for gamers, developers, and an excellent thing for AMD." He said he hasn't run quite enough tests on the hardware for the two consoles, but said they're both "very close, and very good."

When asked for an A-over-B comparison, however, Carmack is slow to judge.

"It's almost amazing how close they are in capabilities, how common they are," Carmack said. "The capabilities they give are essentially the same."

It all depends, without actual data, we can only assume. The ones that want 12 versus 12TF (give or take), are going to take it as that, others that are more sceptical are going to believe it could imply a bigger difference (9.2 vs 11.6).
Those of us who don't care either way will give a better, more logical interpretation looking at the choice of words and comparing different expressions. In no realistic way can "tiny bit faster" be interpreted as "notably faster in TFs but resulting in little difference on screen." The remark explicitly states speed, not perception or quality or 'bestness' or 'closeness' or 'differences'. Faster and slower, meaning processing power and not load speeds or similar when taken in context of the whole phrasing.

Whether one believes in this baseless rumour or not, no-one should be trying to interpret it to fit a preferred narrative. There's way too much of that in this thread.

Where the heck is the original post with the performance comparison?! :-?

Edit: Quote and link so it doesn't get lost again
random internet person said:
Now for next gen? Well, the same thing keeps getting repeated over and over, that the SX isn’t as mature in dev kit but faster, the PS5 is more mature in dev kit but a tiny bit slower, and nothing matters because they are equal. That’s fine. That’s the best result. You WANT that. But some of you really are hurting at the fact SX may be that stupidly tiny little bit faster...? Hell I can’t say what I know, from my talks with my friends who have actual hardware in hand, all of different updates. All I will say is the above lines up. For now. At this moment. But I wouldn’t put anything out there, I’m not an idiot.

Last edited:
Ok, take it from me or not, i talked to someone that has supposedly seen the soc of PS5 and all, it won't be 12TF according to the leaker, so could be higher then that too :p It's a total baseless source, no value at all, as i don't know him personally. I highly doubt anyone in europe could have seen the SoC?

It's a bit more nuanced than that, but everyone went with the headline from Polygon news story from John Carmack that "PS4 and Xbox One are very close." And everyone remembers what the actual performance difference was.

Carmack on next-gen console hardware: 'very close,' 'very good'

id Software technical director John Carmack is impressed with the Xbox One and PlayStation 4, but said he hadn't done enough benchmarking to crown a winner in the next-gen console war during his infamously lengthy QuakeCon 2013 keynote address.

Carmack kicked off his speech by addressing the "elephant in the room," discussing the arrival of a new console generation to a crowd of attendees at the largely PC-focused event. He's optimistic about the coming console cycle, commenting that it's "obviously going to be a good thing for gamers, developers, and an excellent thing for AMD." He said he hasn't run quite enough tests on the hardware for the two consoles, but said they're both "very close, and very good."

When asked for an A-over-B comparison, however, Carmack is slow to judge.

"It's almost amazing how close they are in capabilities, how common they are," Carmack said. "The capabilities they give are essentially the same."

In a way, PS4 and X one are close in general, on what's happening on screen. Saying they are very close it could very well be a difference of 9.2 to 11.6TF, or whatever in that range.

In no realistic way can "tiny bit faster" be interpreted as "notably faster in TFs but resulting in little difference on screen."

It all depends, as you say. We can't know for sure untill we have factual data. Even for the One S and PS4, the differences aren't that big, average non-tech oriented people that don't watch DF, wouldnt call it other then close or even very close between the two. 900p vs 1080p, i'd call that a tiny difference in power.

Whether one believes in this baseless rumour or not, no-one should be trying to interpret it to fit a preferred narrative.

If someone posts unofficial claims, they likely will be discussed, on why it could be 12TF and why it could be not, without attacking the source.

Was there ever a performance comparison?

Those of us who don't care either way will give a better, more logical interpretation looking at the choice of words and comparing different expressions. In no realistic way can "tiny bit faster" be interpreted as "notably faster in TFs but resulting in little difference on screen." The remark explicitly states speed, not perception or quality or 'bestness' or 'closeness' or 'differences'. Faster and slower, meaning processing power and not load speeds or similar when taken in context of the whole phrasing.

Whether one believes in this baseless rumour or not, no-one should be trying to interpret it to fit a preferred narrative. There's way too much of that in this thread.

Was he told actual numbers and is passing on the tiny bit of difference or is he interpreting what he was told as tiny bit of difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back