Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bare in mind that the MORI poll is from 8,000 gamers aged 11 to 64 across the UK, Germany, Spain and France and Italy. That's a tiny proportion of the population, 8,000/300,000,000. The chances of anyone being invited to a poll is vanishingly small, 0.003%, and the chances of meeting such a person similarly slim.

Bare in mind that the MORI poll is from 8,000 gamers aged 11 to 64 across the UK, Germany, Spain and France and Italy. That's a tiny proportion of the population, 8,000/300,000,000. The chances of anyone being invited to a poll is vanishingly small, 0.003%, and the chances of meeting such a person similarly slim.
Yea sounds like a shitty poll LOL.

Data collection in this case is very small sample. They would need to conduct 10-20 more of these random tests in this way to get an idea of the full distribution.

For games launching near PS5 release like TLoU2, I expect there's a PS5 version waiting in the wings. Nothing pushing the platform, but something ND could use to evaluate the platform a bit (although they may have a strong PS5 version). For retro PS4 titles, there won't be improvements on the same PS4 code beyond framerate, maybe resolution (especially in dynamic res games), unless they get patched.

Probably akin to mid-gen refresh patch rate. How many games got XB1X/PS4P Enchantments?

But my question is. Obviously I’m buying those big games this year. Will they expect me to buy them again to play them with “enchantments” on PS5?

I've never been invited or seen a survey about games in my lifetime.

Has anyone here ever have such an experience filling out such a surveys for games industry? I suspect that if you go to something like Gamescom, perhaps you would.
I get general type surveys annually. Genre you play most, time spent, money spent, platforms used type stuff.

But my question is. Obviously I’m buying those big games this year. Will they expect me to buy them again to play them with “enchantments” on PS5?
i think that’s up to the developer to decide how to approach that. But you didn’t pay for 4Pro upgrades; I don’t expect you’ll pay for PS5 enchantments.

Not necessarily. That would only give the distribution of driving incentives from the well selected respondents.
Proper polling does a job of selecting people to be representative. There's a reason why it's expensive, big business, and not trusted to random people with questionnaires at the mall. ;)

Further, in this case the poll wasn't to pick a single option but to rate importance, so we get a better idea f what gamers value.

Well then its gamers fault for not demanding that devs patch their games. If a Dev doesn't patch their games then don't buy it. Vote with your wallet.
But the bulk of people who were interested in the title probably already bought it if the game was so out-of-date i.e. "old" that the devs didn't want to spend any more time on a resolution/scorpio-aware patch.

But the bulk of people who were interested in the title probably already bought it if the game was so out-of-date i.e. "old" that the devs didn't want to spend any more time on a resolution/scorpio-aware patch.
Or the reverse perspective:
the title never sold well anyway because perhaps it was timed to die.

So they add on RT+Graphical enhancements for the new console launch. And hope they can gather their audience there and then for people looking for that graphical showcase.

COUGH - ANTHEM - COUGH- this your golden opportunity and you know it.

1) Release game
2) Fix game + new RT Graphics
3) ??
4) Profit

I was thinking about games like Arkham Knight, the Witcher 3. Could be wrong about the games, just remember some games that could've gotten a nice easy resolution boost. That are probably still played or bought.

This time around I think the amount of console launch games that will benefit from next gen will be even higher due to the already being developed for mid gen profiles.

RT is possible for even early games that has it in the PC release.
Regardless of the hardware implementations, I think a lot has been learned over the years. So even if its not making most of console RT, I think some level of early use will be ported over, as its already in the engine (Xbox anyway) and if xsx gets it I would think the studio would make sure ps5 does also.

I was thinking about games like Arkham Knight, the Witcher 3. Could be wrong about the games, just remember some games that could've gotten a nice easy resolution boost. That are probably still played or bought.

IIRC, Witcher 3 had a supposed dynamic res (max 1080p) - I can't recall what DF found on the One X. Arkham was later updated silently to 1600x1080, but I don't recall if it was a fixed resolution.

:confused:

Yes long memories may be needed by gamers for accountability, maybe better to target the publisher.

This time around I think the amount of console launch games that will benefit from next gen will be even higher due to the already being developed for mid gen profiles.

Well that's the hope, though the lack of patches for the Pro/One is disheartening.

I'm not against the Devs making some $$ off it either, wrap it in a nice expansion pack or even just a straight cash grab, just give the option. Now if they want to do it by including it in a PSVR expansion (I'm looking at you Dreams) you'll get my money for sure.

Or the reverse perspective:
the title never sold well anyway because perhaps it was timed to die.

So they add on RT+Graphical enhancements for the new console launch. And hope they can gather their audience there and then for people looking for that graphical showcase.

COUGH - ANTHEM - COUGH- this your golden opportunity and you know it.

1) Release game
2) Fix game + new RT Graphics
3) ??
4) Profit
It's an intelligent idea

IIRC, Witcher 3 had a supposed dynamic res (max 1080p) - I can't recall what DF found on the One X. Arkham was later updated silently to 1600x1080, but I don't recall if it was a fixed resolution.

:confused:
Thought the Witcher 3 was dynamic pre patch or something.

Arckham knight, sounds like a poor res boost if that is the case. Was that for the 1X or just general?

Thought the Witcher 3 was dynamic pre patch or something.
Yes, though it very rarely hit 1080p on One/S

Arkham knight, sounds like a poor res boost if that is the case. Was that for the 1X or just general?
General case.

Yes long memories may be needed by gamers for accountability, maybe better to target the publisher.

Pretty irrational grudge considering the circumstances, and the nature & release schedule of the midgen twins. o_O

LOL.

I have a poll.

What activity is most important to you?

-Bowling?
-Jogging?
-Gardening?
-Gaming?
-Breathing?

Of course pricing matters! It is the most relevant factor in any purchasing decision. Who cares about considering features of a product that's unaffordable? This is why good polling requires more than just collecting large amounts of data randomly.

Last edited:
Yes, though it very rarely hit 1080p on One/S

General case.
Yea, think I was getting the Witcher 3 mixed up with a different game.
Arkham Knight could've done with a simple 1X patch though.

Think there was some legitimate games that could have had a simple resolution boost patched in though and never happened.
Luckily I don't see it being as big an issue this time. Although I hope that if the resolution is lower than 4K they would patch it in, as it would be even less work this time.

3 things:

1 - Who follows Ed Boon on twitter, to know about that poll? Most are probably hardcore Mortal Kombat fans I'd say. Which is a multiplatform game that never was very demanding performance wise. MK11 is also a Switch title IIRC.

2 - He.. didn't put up a price limit, or price range.. "Affordability" here means less than $600 for some and less than $300 for others.

3 - 63% did not choose affordability. I.e. the majority of people didn't consider affordability as the most important aspect. Even though he's talking to an audience who likes multiplatform fighting games, and didn't really put up a price tag to what he thinks is affordable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back