Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt the ps5 BOM can be significantly below 500 if they have 1TB ssd and 16GB ram. XBSX would be at least 550 with 2 more ram chips and a larger die.

How much they want to lose per console is going to be interesting. Losing a billion per year for a 50 lower price, or investing a billion more per year into games that are profitable anyway. The loss on hardware only makes sense if it brings that much more users, and we've seen how great 1st party games bumped hardware sales and therefore new customers.

If they don't sell more consoles with a loss leader pricing versus breaking even on hardware, it's a pure loss in the books.

I doubt the ps5 BOM can be significantly below 500 if they have 1TB ssd and 16GB ram. XBSX would be at least 550 with 2 more ram chips and a larger die.

How much they want to lose per console is going to be interesting. Losing a billion per year for a 50 lower price, or investing a billion more per year into games that are profitable anyway. The loss on hardware only makes sense if it brings that much more users, and we've seen how great 1st party games bumped hardware sales and therefore new customers.

If they don't sell more consoles with a loss leader pricing versus breaking even on hardware, it's a pure loss in the books.

Yes the transitions to SSD's ups the price, but they cant come with HDD's anymore anno 2020. Also, 16GB is the least we can expect.

Slide 5 mentions the "quick transition" and it's only referring Backwards compatibility:

Sony doesn't really seem to be planning to use console price as an advantage.
In fact they seem convinced that very few people are driven by a lower console price.
Then they'll be wilfully ignoring Economics 101. The higher the price, the less you'll sell. If they think the value and appeal is enough to justify a higher price, they may be right - Apple manages to command crazy expenditure from their fans. That's decidedly unproven though and I seriously doubt more people will want to buy PS5s than launch PS4 when PS5 costs more if the chief selling point is "backwards compatibility".

Then they'll be wilfully ignoring Economics 101. The higher the price, the less you'll sell. If they think the value and appeal is enough to justify a higher price, they may be right - Apple manages to command crazy expenditure from their fans. That's decidedly unproven though and I seriously doubt more people will want to buy PS5s than launch PS4 when PS5 costs more if the chief selling point is "backwards compatibility".
I think PS5 will sell out for months even at $600. Doesn't even matter about specs. Playstation cult is pretty strong and very comparable to Apple cult. All Sony has to do to be the fastest selling Playstation ever is to have enough supply. Every Playstation before has been supply constrained at launch.

Cult of PlayStation was very strong going into PS3 too. Sony expected to sell 6 million PS3 by the end of their FY it launched, but sold only 3.6 million instead. Too bloody expensive at $600 for the PS fans. Okay, $600 now is a little less, inflation adjusted, but psychologically, will people bite at that price? Especially when other CE devices like TVs have seen a veritable price-crash in the intervening years to make a $600 console proportionally more expensive by comparison?

There has to be much more steps and expenses per chip than just the wafer divided by yield. Packaging a 2000 pin chip must cost a bit. Testing and optical inspection for defects before packaging too.
Perhaps... although that certainly points to added costs for the latest nodes, worsening the situation.

And would AMD get a cut per chip? Or would sony pay maybe hundreds of million up front for making any number of them?
Short of the contracts accidentaly leaking, we'll probably never know what the updated costs are for sure.

But generation to generation is probably more important here, and whatever each IHV concocts is similar to the other for the given timeframe, so it's still a relative cost vs the previous generation.

If that makes sense?

Last edited:
Jokes aside, this is what a lot of us have been saying all along.

Look at God of War. Or HZD. Or Death Stranding. Running on a 1.8TF console. It’s crazy.

Imagine what we’ll get on PS5, regardless of the number of bloody TF it will come with.
I slightly care about power in the sense that it impacts fps and that matters to me especially if I buy PSVR 2. But beyond that, I want to see robust first party offering complimented by a decent third party support.

I slightly care about power in the sense that it impacts fps and that matters to me especially if I buy PSVR 2. But beyond that, I want to see robust first party offering complimented by a decent third party support.

This is an interesting area, Sony may push exclusives and visuals, Microsoft by supporting jaguar might have the headroom to offer 120fps on all their first party output.

Ultimately I think both will offer similar but the extremes of 4k 30fps pixel quality vs 1080p 120fps high refresh would make an interesting comparison with average users.

I think PS5 will sell out for months even at $600. Doesn't even matter about specs. Playstation cult is pretty strong and very comparable to Apple cult. All Sony has to do to be the fastest selling Playstation ever is to have enough supply. Every Playstation before has been supply constrained at launch.

Nintendo is the only game company comparable to Apple. Switch never goes on sale. Nintendo first party games stay 59.99 forever, Sony/MS titles eventually get drastic sales.

No, we need to pull him back!

@ultragpu imagine if they sacrificed all those juicy teraflops just to have better BC!? :rolleyes:

Then again they are probably just sandbagging with this silence and in a month or two they are ready to unleash full Messiah Cerny on stage performing 13.9TF Super Saiyan Kaio-ken.:cool::cool:
I am now a child of light and your earthly TFs holds no appeal to meee.
ImportantPinkAntelope-small.gif

Cult of PlayStation was very strong going into PS3 too. Sony expected to sell 6 million PS3 by the end of their FY it launched, but sold only 3.6 million instead. Too bloody expensive at $600 for the PS fans. Okay, $600 now is a little less, inflation adjusted, but psychologically, will people bite at that price? Especially when other CE devices like TVs have seen a veritable price-crash in the intervening years to make a $600 console proportionally more expensive by comparison?
really depends on what the competitor is doing and what it offers for the price. PS3 offered very little over X360 for 50% more.

Nintendo is the only game company comparable to Apple. Switch never goes on sale. Nintendo first party games stay 59.99 forever, Sony/MS titles eventually get drastic sales.
Cartridge based games are, disk console games had sales.

Adding 4GB of ddr4, means traces on the board, it needs a step in the assembly to be soldered in, then that specific part needs to be tested.
This is true, although I don't think a couple of DDR4 chips will increase the PCB cost for more than handful of cents, nor will the increment of an automated test for quality control.

Tell me another one. I don't doubt there is savings, but if they want to utilize 12TF of power or more they are going to have bigger and better assets to do it.
It's not me who's telling.

Cerny points out that some games have to duplicate data to make sure the hard drive keeps picking it up—making for some massive files sizes we see in games today—specifically using Spider-Man‘s lampposts and random citizens as an example. He even points out with Spider-Man that some data is duplicated up to 400 times. Since an SSD doesn’t need to spin, it can load up more at once without the need for duplicate data. What does this mean for developers? Cerny believes it will lead to smaller game and patch sizes, and/or bigger and more detailed worlds; whichever developers prefer.
We either get:
- Smaller game sizes with equally big worlds
- Smaller game sizes and bigger worlds
- Same game sizes and bigger worlds

The idea of larger game sizes isn't even being considered by Cerny.

And how does 12TF of compute mean the game sizes will be larger? 12 TFLOPs will be used to process compute, vertex and pixel shaders. Those are all relatively small pieces of code in games.

What takes the most space nowadays are texture size and shadow maps, as geometry also takes a much smaller space in comparison.
Texture size at 4K*4K already brings very diminishing returns, let alone 8K*8K. You can try 4K vs. 8K texture packs on e.g. Skyrim and see that for yourself.
Shadow maps on the big AAA games (the ones that actually ship with large file sizes) may end up getting rarely used, now that both consoles can use ray traced shadows.

Then they'll be wilfully ignoring Economics 101. The higher the price, the less you'll sell.
That's really not Economics 101..
Pricing your products down diminishes your brand value. Diminishing your brand value gives you lower mindshare. Lower mindshare means lower sales.
Increasing your price may actually get you higher sales.
What matters is if enough people concede that your value offer is worth the price you ask for.

If they think the value and appeal is enough to justify a higher price, they may be right - Apple manages to command crazy expenditure from their fans. That's decidedly unproven though and I seriously doubt more people will want to buy PS5s than launch PS4 when PS5 costs more if the chief selling point is "backwards compatibility".

It's completely proven.
This last holiday season the PS4 Pro didn't go below 300€, while the considerably more expensive XboneX went for 340€ with a game bundle. The PS4 bundles never went below 200€, while the XBoneS bundles went for 130€ and the all digital version went for a crazy low 100€. Surely you don't think the 8GB GDDR5 vs. 8GB DDR3 difference between the XBoneS and the PS4 is worth that price difference at this point. Even more with Microsoft having developed a new SoC for the XBoneS with more powerful video codecs, new real-time upscaler, higher clocks, and a UHD BluRay drive.

We need to take into account that when the PS4 released, Sony was coming from a position of parity with Microsoft (87 vs. 84 million sales suring 7th gen). Even at that point, Sony sold the PS4 for $100 less than the XBone solely because it didn't bundle a Kinect. The XBone caught up (or down) with the PS4 as soon as it canceled Kinect, and then they started to progressively undercut the PS4 in price.

With >2:1 console sales over Microsoft during the 8th gen, Sony has a definite brand/mindshare advantage. Sony can charge more than Microsoft on their console, the same way Samsung can charge significantly more than LG on their flagships.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back