Days Gone (Sony Bend) [PS4, PC]

Very impressive game for the size of the studio. Graphics are fantastic the biggest problem is the loading but that really seems to be an unreal 4 thing.

I really enjoyed the gunplay and the bike, really good game. With bigger budget I think they have shown that they can compete with the big boys of Sony's first party.

The insane hordes they will be able to do on PS5 could be mind-blowing if they make a sequel.

The environment is amazing, I particularly like that no matter how well armed and how upgraded your bike, your never felt truly safe anywhere outside of a camp and it was real easy to die if careless. It was also easy to die even when being über careful because some other chaos drawing freakers in. I would like them to revisit the petrol system, it's a great idea but you learn real quick where all the gas stations and cans are so it comes a rote of riding out of your way to refuel on the way to where you actually want to get to until you upgrade you bike enough that fuel is not an issue.

The story was told over too many missions for me to complete it before moving on. I may go back to it at some point because the world really does feel fantastic. I hope they do a sequel perhaps with more investment in that world. Tangible upgrade of bases to fight off attacks and so on.

Still enjoying this, it’s gotten better as it’s gone on.

I believe most of the improvements I’d like to see are around the fact this was made by a small team (eg lack of wildlife compared to HZD) it seems to be lacking in a few areas but overall it’s a pretty good game I’m glad I played.

Also the game saving and console transfer of game save seems a bit hit and miss, and there’s some aspects I have no idea about - like the question marks that disappear...it’s had to locate them as they disappear before you get to them.

One question, I’ve still not taken on a horde...is there a point where they explain how to take one on? At this point I think I’m near opening up beyond Mikes camp.

Overall I’m all for a sequel, hopefully they can polish it a bit more and add a bit more depth.

Their is no "right" way to take on a horde. I've beat all of them, and it's really about préférences at some point (and options given by the environnement). It's the fun part, you can use multiples tactics :)

One important thing, the more you advance in the game/stories, the more tools/weapons you get.

Their is no "right" way to take on a horde. I've beat all of them, and it's really about préférences at some point (and options given by the environnement). It's the fun part, you can use multiples tactics :)

One important thing, the more you advance in the game/stories, the more tools/weapons you get.

But that’s just it, after all this time I have no idea how to take a horde on, I was kind of expecting a small horde tutorial kind of experience...but so far nothing, just turn and run like hell.

Fighting horde's is intended to be a late game activity. You will be sent to take one on as a story mission eventually. You don't have to attempt them before then.

But that’s just it, after all this time I have no idea how to take a horde on, I was kind of expecting a small horde tutorial kind of experience...but so far nothing, just turn and run like hell.

A strategy I love :

1 - find their hiding place during the day. Come back at night when the horde is out. Place a lot of remote explosive inside. When they're back (when the sun rises), boom. It will make some damage, without taking any risk. After that, yeah, grenade, molotove, napalms. And don't hesistate to regroup by running away. Have you're bike close. At one point, the horde will stop chasing you (but invest in your cardio anyway). You can go back and slowly "agro" some of the slowest infected.
Use choke point when possible too. Choke point + a good automatic weapon, you can do a lot of damage too.

2- Sound is importante too. Attractors are very usefull to aggro a lot of infected in one place, making grenade / molotiv / napalm much more effective.

And, have a "special" equipements for hordes. I've a "hordes" setup, vs a exploration setup (I mean weapons).

Last edited:
Fighting horde's is intended to be a late game activity. You will be sent to take one on as a story mission eventually. You don't have to attempt them before then.

Thanks, I figured this but was wondering when as I’m over halfway now. I guess it’ll come soon.

Thanks, I figured this but was wondering when as I’m over halfway now. I guess it’ll come soon.

Yeah there’s no much point before you get the serious guns, with which hordes basically become easy tasks except for the few ones where’s there’s an obscene amount of zombies. The Level 5 machine guns and heavy usually mow them down without any issues, although you do have to be a bit careful with zombies coming from the sides.

Thanks guys, I figure I’m really close to the point where I get better guns - just going through a long story chain right now...and going through a tunnel ;)

I haven't played since last June but saw there is a 30GB patch! Sounds like it's much improved at this point. Time to return to the game methinks...

I haven't played since last June but saw there is a 30GB patch! Sounds like it's much improved at this point. Time to return to the game methinks...

Yeah, a lot of improvements and bug fixes. The last big patch is basically the whole game, repackaged to take less size.

Yeah, a lot of improvements and bug fixes. The last big patch is basically the whole game, repackaged to take less size.

It's almost half the size, will that help with loading and the streaming?

Haven't updated it yet because I finished the game already, was wondering if it was worth the update?
I have a fixed amount of data a month.

It's almost half the size, will that help with loading and the streaming?

Haven't updated it yet because I finished the game already, was wondering if it was worth the update?
I have a fixed amount of data a month.

I honestly didn't notice performance improvement with the last patch, but they already made nice gains with all the previous patches. It's just about the final game size with this one. I don't know how they reduce it, maybe it's explained somewhere.
"Prior to the latest update, Days Gone took up over 60 GB (mine was at 60.8 GB as of patch 1.30, which was admittedly a little bit dated). Update 1.61 is a hefty 30.763 GB download, but once you’ve got that installed, it brings the overall Days Gone file size down to a much more manageable 38.71 GB."

EDIT : + some bug fixes :
https://www.playstationlifestyle.ne...one-update-161-drastically-reduces-file-size/

It would be interesting to know more about what went on there. That's a major overhaul. I don't think I recall seeing something like that before. Unless it's just something like removed localizations...

It still has a lot of loading but I don't know if it was worse before.

By the way, one option I wish this game had available is to disable your character's worldly insights. It is irritating to hear what that guy thinks most of the time.

And really a motorcycle probably isn't what you'd want to be driving around when noise will get you mobbed by zombie/mutants. You'd hear that thing for miles. It would be like active sonar out in rocky areas. Tunnel entrances should have zombies pouring in as you make your way thru. Judging by what a speaker at a NERO base does. :)

Last edited:
And really a motorcycle probably isn't what you'd want to be driving around when noise will get you mobbed by zombie/mutants.
True, but they are very economical with fuel and relatively easy to maintain. Plus by the time noise draw enemies, you're long gone. :yes: Hopefully. :no:

True, but they are very economical with fuel and relatively easy to maintain. Plus by the time noise draw enemies, you're long gone. :yes: Hopefully. :no:

yeah, it’s more nimble too, you can get from a to b by cross country and easily jump in and off (unlike a car).

And really a motorcycle probably isn't what you'd want to be driving around when noise will get you mobbed by zombie/mutants.
What else would you use? An electric car? Motorcycle has:

Versatility - can travel open road, off road, through city streets and back alley
Immediacy - jump on and go
Economy - good range for fuel
Maintainability - lack of electronics means a good mechanic can keep them going for decades
Availability - the loud motorbike you possess is better than the quiet Tesla you don't ;)

A motorbike strikes me as pretty good. Another option would be a Toyota Hilux pickup with a bicycle in the back - use the truck as a home base and bike for silent exploration from that, although realistically that's not great if you are carrying gear.

Back