Need Advice from Architects (ryzen build)

yes it is, no more thermal paste so it's going to have to stay on for now I think I will still get an aio though when I have the cash
I have a tube of paste somewhere but I bought it in 2007 so I think it's past it's sell by date ;)

ps: when I bought my stuff they had some expensive air coolers on display, my god they are huge think of a house brick with heatpipes.
pps: my case could really do with at least 2 more fans
more p's and an s : when idle my intel i5 used to drop it's multiplier from 31 to 16 I've never seen the ryzen go below a 35 multiplier

Last edited:
dav, you added thermal paste to the Heatsink?

on my Ryzen 5 2600, it use pre-applied thermal tape on the base of the heatsink. The fan is never audible even when im rendering a video, using all cores. My ryzen do have lower clock than yours tho.

hmm, maybe i can overclock my ryzen to your clock...

holy flying mackerel!!!

thanks to @Davros talk about fan noise, I checked my fan it only spin to 3000RPM max, even with 400MHz OC. Looking at the temp
CPU reports 85C, Motherboard reports the CPU is 60C.

o_O

and MSI tied the CPU fan to motherboard CPU temp sensor instead of CPU temp sensor in the CPU itself. As a workaround, i'm changing the fan curve.

more p's and an s : when idle my intel i5 used to drop it's multiplier from 31 to 16 I've never seen the ryzen go below a 35 multiplier

change the windows 10 power profile to BALANCED via the legacy control panel. Or manually change the minimum clock to 5% on the legacy power control panel.

I used the paste that was pre applied
ps: does your hsf have a low high switch ?
I had it set to ryzen power save, changed it to balanced

I used the paste that was pre applied
ps: does your hsf have a low high switch ?
I had it set to ryzen power save, changed it to balanced

I don't see any switch. Where exactly is it?

Btw the power option will keep reverting almost after any windows 10 update.

kVxytty.jpg

Dont you have a 2600 that comes with a wraith stealth cooler i've looked at a lot of pics of it on google images and havn't seen a switch

Dont you have a 2600 that comes with a wraith stealth cooler i've looked at a lot of pics of it on google images and havn't seen a switch
oh, thanks! you saved me from opening the PC case and moving the tentacles... erm... i mean... the cables.

so i guess, 3000RPM is my max fan speed.

If your going to o/c you really need a 3rd party cooler or an aio but knowing your history i'd avoid aio's

Little rant about aio's (looking at you corsair)
At some point in time corsair were designing an aio and the lead engineer said "As you know cpu's are square very occasionally rectangular but never ever round so bearing that in mind what shape shall we make the contact plate of our latest aio"
At this point some assclown put his hand up and said "I know lets make it round"
why was he not immediately beaten to death ?
49KKSd4.jpg

Corsair on the right

The heat spreader is a large square, however the actual CPU underneath is usually much smaller and where the focus of the heat is.

Id still rather have a square contact plate for a square heatspreader.
meanwhile at noctua someone put up their hand and said "I know what colour pc builders really want their fans to be, beige and brown thats the colour pc users are clamouring for"
s43EwdT.jpg

Id still rather have a square contact plate for a square heatspreader.
Just because the spreader is a square? The most efficient method of applying paste is a small blob in the middle and let the pressure push it out, which makes a circle. Also, heat doesn't spread out from the CPU underneath in a square shape...

Let me tell you why I disagree
Forgive my lack of artistic skills
Imagine this is a heatspreader under a microscope
the black star just represents the centre where your blob of paste would be
the red represents a raised area
the grey represents an area that would not have paste on it using your method
TgrQOaV.jpg

ps: imagine this is a magnified cross section of a heatspreader
imagine the contact pad is perfect and in A it would lie directly on top of the green and the black in B
(forgot to draw it in)
green represents thermal paste
most people think A is best but it's actually B the best thermal conductivity happens between metal and metal not metal-thermal paste-metal
but metal-thermal paste-metal is superior to metal-air-metal
QaUCv73.jpg

Last edited:
If the circular heatsink and thermaltape are bigger than the heatspreader, isn't it will give similar thermal performance to square heatsink with square thermaltape? Assuming everything else are similar enough (similar fan speed, similar material, etc)

The circular one will simply have unused thermal tape on it's four sides

Back