Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The controller's name starts with PS5. Sounds suspicious.

Yeah, I've been wondering, if the XBSX's SSD controller's model name starts with PS5, shouldn't then the PS5's SSD controller's model name start with XBSX?

*insert thibking emoji

We might be getting a weaker CPU. We've talked a lot about GPU, but isn't it possible to have a really weak Zen 2 8 core 16 thread processor? Who knows this answer?

This is probably meant for the technical discussion but DF already did a test with a the rumored CPU specs and it basically doubled the framerate of the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ilt-a-zen-2-navi-pc-to-next-gen-console-specs

1920x-1

So what sort of secret sauce do we think we can hope for.

We have VRS of Microsofts own making.

Each RT implementation is up in the air.

ID buffer mk2. Seems likely and as shifty eluded 2 this could be baked into an sdk to help advanced reconstruction.

HBCC type functionality integrated across the apu, ssd controller and apu stack?

I feel we may see navi designs that both differ from vanilla navi far more than we saw with the GCN chips.

So what sort of secret sauce do we think we can hope for.

We have VRS of Microsofts own making.

Each RT implementation is up in the air.

ID buffer mk2. Seems likely and as shifty eluded 2 this could be baked into an sdk to help advanced reconstruction.

HBCC type functionality integrated across the apu, ssd controller and apu stack?

I feel we may see navi designs that both differ from vanilla navi far more than we saw with the GCN chips.
I think Sony’s sauce will have a VR slant based on the fact that most of their rendering patents are focused that way.

The video for anyone wondering:

I think it should quell any concerns about a ~9.2 TFlop console given it doesn't take into account architectural differences and optimizations.
hmm indeed.
https://stevivor.com/features/interviews/xbox-head-phil-spencer-higher-frame-rates/#disqus_thread

“We’ve never really tried to limit what developers are trying to do on our platform, whether it’s 60 frames per second on Xbox 360 or people doing 4K, 60 [frames-per-second] now on Xbox One X,” he continued. “We want to give developers the tools to go try things that they want to go try on any of the hardware platforms and capability can be there for them to go try things.

“I think we’ve reached a point with Xbox One X in the generation where games look amazing, and there’s always work we can do to look more amazing. But I want games to feel as amazing as they look. We don’t have that in today’s generation, mainly because the CPU is underpowered relative to the GPU that’s in the box in order to reach a feel and frame rate and kind of consistency or variable refresh rate and other things that we want.

“As we were looking at the future, the feel of the games was definitely something that we wanted to have more focus on, not just throwing more pixels up on the screen.”
hmm yes. I suspect the goals for 120 Hz and the like will definitely be achievable on next gen (and likely the aim for next gen).

Ray tracing will have it's place as well; I don't expect all the titles to have ray tracing because of the performance tradeoffs. So RT for 30fps titles, 60fps is pushing the upper bounds likely.

hmm indeed.
https://stevivor.com/features/interviews/xbox-head-phil-spencer-higher-frame-rates/#disqus_thread

hmm yes. I suspect the goals for 120 Hz and the like will definitely be achievable on next gen (and likely the aim for next gen).

Ray tracing will have it's place as well; I don't expect all the titles to have ray tracing because of the performance tradeoffs. So RT for 30fps titles, 60fps is pushing the upper bounds likely.
They don't seem to want to push RT that much on their series X. More like they just want XBX graphics at 60 or 120fps. Did he even talk about RT there ?

They don't seem to want to push RT that much on their series X. More like they just want XBX graphics at 60 or 120fps. Did he even talk about RT there ?
I made the commentary on RT. My bad. I guess there is 1 more part of the interview so maybe it will come up then; the company seems to be milking it to force people to come back every week.

Yea, I agree, RT discussion is quite slim. I'm not sure if its a marketing challenge, or they are waiting for another time or what not. It's interesting to see this play out.

The video for anyone wondering:

I think it should quell any concerns about a ~9.2 TFlop console given it doesn't take into account architectural differences and optimizations.
Thats playing current gen games. What about next gen games that do more than just more pixels and framerate?

I mean it ran 4K/60fps on X1X did it not? So if that DF test is indication it wouldn't surprise me if it did do 4K/120fps. No idea about RT because who knows what that even means yet in terms of these consoles yet...

I mean it ran 4K/60fps on X1X did it not? So if that DF test is indication it wouldn't surprise me if it did do 4K/120fps. No idea about RT because who knows what that even means yet in terms of these consoles yet...
yea we also don't know to what extent. And we don't know how they are using it.

Racing games tend to be good ways of showcasing the graphical power. Most of the focus is on the cars and the environments are rather large and open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back