Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably DXR. DirectX Ray Tracing: "hardware accelerated RT" AKA "software accelerated RT" used by the non RTX cards.

https://www.tomshardware.fr/le-ray-tracing-debarque-sur-les-geforce-gtx/
APIs themselves are not determinant of it. Being hardware accelerators. This is like
Saying without a GPU you cannot used DirectX Or just because you are using DirectX you have hardware acceleration. There is profile WARP on directX that will emulate every possible feature on directX for instance.

There is only 1 part in DXR API that is hardware accelerated and that is the data structure.

If you don’t have hardware to accelerate traversal it cannot be considered hardware accelerated.

The distinction is clear. MS would not advertise hardware accelerated ray tracing if they did not have hardware to accelerate traversal. It’s how it is defined in the API.

He's got far more things right than those two.
Is one of these things this one?

Yeah. The performance figures(once Sony and Microsoft divulge them) won't blow you away but the games will, IMO.

Your body isn't ready.....mine wasn't!
(at time consoles were rumored to be ~8TF RDNA)

...or this one?

I'm just saying compared to GCN, the RDNA architecture is much more efficient per clock but the downside is it yields lower TF numbers.

People will inevitably look at the final numbers and say "well it's not THAT much better than an Xbox One X" and I'm saying that is the wrong way to look at the TF numbers.

Perhaps this one? (answer to XSX being 64CUs at 1475MHz / 12.08TF)

...Or this one?

OMG people Lockhart doesn't exist

So he went from a just a regular old school gamer with a friend from one studio showed him of vertical slice of next gen game...
No, actually I didn't. He played me a video of the demo off a USB drive.

...To knowing when and why PS5 was cancelled?
Yeah. PlayStation 5 was originally planned to come out next month. The software engineering needed to get BC 101% right was not progressing as fast as they needed.

It is my belief that this is one of (but not the only) reasons Sony delayed PlayStation 5 to holiday 2020.

They made this change in 2017.

Just by looking at all his threadmarks, I have to say, there is nothing this guy was exactly right about.

Him saying "bingo" to 64CU 1475MHz rumor is probably telltale of how much he knows. Later clarifyinf he meant "12TF" makes 0 sense because he for one already "confirmed it" and two, he specifically answered to that rumored post which detailed CU and frequency numbers.

APIs themselves are not determinant of it. Being hardware accelerators. This is like
Saying without a GPU you cannot used DirectX Or just because you are using DirectX you have hardware acceleration. There is profile WARP on directX that will emulate every possible feature on directX for instance.

There is only 1 part in DXR API that is hardware accelerated and that is the data structure.

If you don’t have hardware to accelerate traversal it cannot be considered hardware accelerated.

The distinction is clear. MS would not advertise hardware accelerated ray tracing if they did not have hardware to accelerate traversal. It’s how it is defined in the API.
I have no doubt it will be accelerated by the hardware. Like accelerated by the shaders or the TMUs. For years MS have traditionnaly defined their DirectX software implementation as some kind as "Hardware acceleration" even if the hardware blocks were not dedicated to the task. An example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX_Video_Acceleration

DirectX Video Acceleration (DXVA) is a Microsoft API specification for the Microsoft Windows and Xbox 360 platforms that allows video decoding to be hardware-accelerated.

hardware-accelerated
This is exactly how they described their RT for their next box.

I have no doubt it will be accelerated by the hardware. Like accelerated by the shaders or the TMUs. For years MS have traditionnaly defined their DirectX software implementation as some kind as "Hardware acceleration" even if the hardware blocks were not dedicated to the task. An example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX_Video_Acceleration

This is exactly how they described their RT for their next box.
Again; APIs Define the behaviour of a function as well as the inputs so that developers have a consistent way of programming the functionality they want across any platform supporting the API. Driver teams are responsible for the implementation. And again this language is found on any API. You will see this on Vulkan as well
Your link:
DXVA specifies a set of operations that can be hardware-accelerated and device driver interfaces(DDIs) that the graphic driver can implement to accelerate the operations. If the codec needs to do any of the defined operations, it can use these interfaces to access the hardware-accelerated implementation of these operations. If the graphic driver does not implement one or more of the interfaces, it is up to the codec to provide a software fallback for it.

To be clear, if it's not, DXR software fall back is GPU accelerated sure - in the sense that you're not using your CPU to do it. But it's not considered hardware accelerated because it is leveraging a shared resource with the rest of the graphics stack. It does not accelerate the one thing that it needs to go perform faster, it's just that the GPU has a heck more processing power than a CPU to perform the task.

The reason for the DXR software fall back is to ensure that in the future, developers can build entirely DXR based renderers and it will still run on video cards in which vendors have enabled DXR, whether or not they are hardware accelerated. Performance is atrocious, but they still get to play the game. This is a really nice way to ensure that Minecraft RT still runs on Pascal cards if the developers do not want to support several rendering methods.

Endorsing that software ray tracing is what MS will be doing for the next Xbox is conspiratorial. They blatantly said in the PR video that they are doing next generation ray tracing, because it's hardware accelerated for the first time.

Last edited:
The most interesting is what he said after that: PS5 12,4 Tflops and XSX 11,6. One of them without real RT units.
Does osirisblack have any good tracking record?

He seems to imply PS5 has more GPU power and better ray-tracing?

Him saying "bingo" to 64CU 1475MHz rumor is probably telltale of how much he knows. Later clarifyinf he meant "12TF" makes 0 sense because he for one already "confirmed it" and two, he specifically answered to that rumored post which detailed CU and frequency numbers.
I am sure Kleegamefan said 12.08TF bingo, not 64CUs for xbox or 1475 MHz GPU.

There was some discussion about this in era.

Yes, the sooner ultragpu gets back to normal the sooner the rest of us can read how so many of these games all look like last gen to him.
Haha nar, I'll admit a good looking game if it's good looking. Speaking of which, now that we've seen Hellblade 2's target visuals, maybe this isn't too impossible after all.

Burning money to secure markets is kind of Microsoft's thing for the past 30 years.
Burning money to attempt, you mean. Zune, Windows Phone and many others say hello.

Like with any other corporation led by intelligent people, Microsoft has to bail when a business is bleeding money.
I don't think that's the case of xbox division, but it would be if they were selling a 12TF seriesX for $350.

I see MS now much much more concentrated in markets where they can perform well... consoles market is one if them. So maybe some small loss in the beginning may be there

Is one of these things this one?

(at time consoles were rumored to be ~8TF RDNA)

...or this one?

...Or this one?

So he went from a just a regular old school gamer with a friend from one studio showed him of vertical slice of next gen game...

...To knowing when and why PS5 was cancelled?

Just by looking at all his threadmarks, I have to say, there is nothing this guy was exactly right about.

Damn, I don't have to lift a finger.

Even for Tea?
Leave it up to a Brit to make a tea sipping reference.

Speaking on the possibility of DXR software only RT on Xsx:

z8v3mLi_d.jpg

Arden has hybrid BVH RT from RDNA2 in the GLX block.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...-see-staff-post.159131/page-385#post-27819562

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...ark-tower-see-staff-post.159131/post-27819622

3delillante or Joel can add much more on this topic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back