Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you going with 40/40 enabled or say 44 with 4 disabled for those figures? 2.15GHz seems awfully optimistic given what I have read here.
40/40 enabled. The GPU's CUs aren't taking that much die area in this SoC (a lot less than in Neo or Liverpool) so using redundancy on the GPU doesn't provide the same increase in useable chips.
2.15GHz comes from the fact that chips being fabbed in early 2019 were already hitting 2GHz, and after one year of optimizations we're looking at a 7.5% increase in GPU clocks with decent yields.

Most likely Fake, as most posts....
But this one was in Neogaf, hidden as spoiler, and the ammount of detail in it is just crazy!
This is on par with that older leak that mentioned HBM2 being secured at a good price.
It's closer to what I expected from Sony, but that was before the github leak, and that Aquarius* guy claiming it's a ~320mm^2 chip.
I really like that "Pro+" mode, matching the github leak.

40/40 enabled. The GPU's CUs aren't taking that much die area in this SoC (a lot less than in Neo or Liverpool) so using redundancy on the GPU doesn't provide the same increase in useable chips.
2.15GHz comes from the fact that chips being fabbed in early 2019 were already hitting 2GHz, and after one year of optimizations we're looking at a 7.5% increase in GPU clocks with decent yields.

This is on par with that older leak that mentioned HBM2 being secured at a good price.
It's closer to what I expected from Sony, but that was before the github leak, and that Aquarius* guy claiming it's a ~320mm^2 chip.
I really like that "Pro+" mode, matching the github leak.

I would more quickly believe the GPU having HBCC than HBM2.

They were just my crazy-arse dream specs. Not based on any facts! =P

Yours?

You posted this?

Man... if you did, you went to a lot of trouble... lots and lots of detail. Specially the part about max compute, max fillrate, mandatory resolutions, etc.

I even posted this today on my website. And if this is yours, then shame on you!

Last edited:
I would more quickly believe the GPU having HBCC than HBM2.
I'm not sure if HBCC makes sense in a SoC. Since its purpose is to access the system memory and storage directly from the GPU without having to go through the CPU, I wonder if it'd make sense considering that in a SoC both the CPU and GPU are sharing the same memory controller.

Regardless, despite all the (unnecessary for a forum post) description in that post, the biggest red flag for me is the HBM2E @ 3.9Gbps, which is completely unheard of at the moment.

The fact that they included PSVR2 with a release date more than 2 years from now makes me put this in the garbage bin. Not only is odd for a product that would be in development for more two years to have such an exact launch window, but I don't believe it will take them more 2 years to launch PSVR2. If PSVR2 comes it should be no later than fall 2021, otherwise they make PSVR irrelevant.
The launch of PSVR2 will be strategic based on PS5 install base. This timeline makes complete sense to me because it allows install base to build, and integral components to mature in supply and cost.

Overall, I’d say the “rumor” is a good summary of technical discussions I’ve seen here and at ResetEra. Someone that is technically inclined and has been monitoring the leaks the past few years. The poster clearly marked it as “Dream” specs, so it’s wishful thinking. Not a leak.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if HBCC makes sense in a SoC. Since its purpose is to access the system memory and storage directly from the GPU without having to go through the CPU, I wonder if it'd make sense considering that in a SoC both the CPU and GPU are sharing the same memory controller.

Yeah, you might be right. I was thinking about storage specifically assigned to the GPU portion of the APU as some sort of large scratch pad. Might make no sense.

Yours?

You posted this?

Man... if you did, you went to a lot of trouble... lots and lots of detail. Specially the part about max compute, max fillrate, mandatory resolutions, etc.

I even posted this today on my website. And if this is yours, then shame on you!

Haha, wasn't meant to mislead, my post on GAF was headed with "THE DREAM SPECS FOR ME..".

And I'd also posted more rudimentary versions some time back on REE (I bounce between forums as I don't like to get stuck in echo chambers).

Never meant for it to be construed as a leak.:runaway:

Heres my totally optimistic expectations:

8 zen2 cores @ 2.8ghz
36CU RDNA1 GPU @ 1.75ghz
16GB GDDR6 @ 16.5Gbps
1TB NVMe SSD @ 3GB/s read
7nm
$499 USD

8 zen2 cores @ 2.8ghz
36CU RDNA1 GPU @ 1.75ghz
16GB GDDR6 @ 16.5Gbps
7nm
$499 USD

I see what you did there.
Push it down enough so you can only ever be pleasantly surprised.

Careful with trying that for a Nintendo console, though.

Around 9TF depending on final clocks, AMD RT solution (same as MS's), about 16GB GDDR6 unified memory pool, a small amount of DDR4/5 for the OS/background processes. CPU around 3.2Ghz with reduced cache. 1TB SSD PCIE4.0 from amd @7GB/s (already avaible before PS5 launch, so why not). Some cheap slow arm cpu like PS4 has for stand by and such, like modern mainboards have for the ability be connected while standby.
399 price tag, a fast transition seems important.

8 zen2 cores @ 2.8ghz
36CU RDNA1 GPU @ 1.75ghz
16GB GDDR6 @ 16.5Gbps
7nm
$499 USD

I may very well be wrong but I wouldn't expect a Zen2 CPU below the 3.0-3.2GHz mark, the power/performance curve doesn't start getting steep until the 3.2-3.4GHz mark on stock desktop chips; and I very much doubt there will be cooling issues at these levels. I wouldn't even be totally surprised by 3.5GHz if we see them use N7P. I'll be disappointed in anything less than 3.0GHz.

If it's only 16GB of RAM, I hope there is an additional, separate pool of ~4GB for the OS.

The GPU would be somewhat underwhelming but given everything being said/leaked at the moment I can't fathom what the hell is going on.

And for $499 with those specs, I'd expect a 2TB SSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back