Future Sony first-party PlayStation games coming to PC

More to the point as I've been saying for years, PC and console are separate markets and dont (generally) compete.

I mean sure, they might on a very slim margin. That's it.

How many gamers are like Yes! I don't have to buy a PS4/5 because HZD is coming to PC (however many years later)! Maybe 4, in the world. I mean literally 4.

I believe there's more crossover than you think. But if their games end up being timed exclusives it probably won't hurt their console sales much, so I tend to agree with your conclusion even if I don't agree with how you got there.

In the end it allows more people to experience the games which can only be viewed as a good thing unless you are some console war zealot.

I believe there's more crossover than you think. But if their games end up being timed exclusives it probably won't hurt their console sales much, so I tend to agree with your conclusion even if I don't agree with how you got there.

In the end it allows more people to experience the games which can only be viewed as a good thing unless you are some console war zealot.

The thing is it might make sense for Sony games to come to PC, but it makes a lot more sense for MS games to. Why? Because MS own the platform people generally call "PC", aka MIcrosoft Windows. If MS gives "PC" a Xbox exclusive, they're wanting to give you one more reason to buy a Windows and not a Mac or Chromebook or Linux.

For Sony it's just some spare change. Honestly I'd question it. Their fiscals show their gaming segment in Playstation alone is a highly profitable engine. Why mess with it?

In a sense Stadia is really the biggest gaming wise threat to Windows in a while, because it takes the games away from Windows, but people hate it.

This will be huge if Sony begin to routinely release first party PS4 exclusives on Windows at the same time as the appear on PlayStation consoles. Don't play into Sony's future insidious marketing whereby they release some old PS4 game on PC a few months before PS5 then announce the exclusive sequel on PS5 to drive up PS5 sales. :nope:

Marketing. M*ther*f*ck*ers. Tricksy b*st*rds. :yep2:

Yay... we get to play HZD2 in 2023?

Can't see this being worthwhile for them to just plonk the games onto Steam.
Highly likely this will be an EGS exclusive. Sony and Epic are sure to make a deal.

My guess is that this will be limited to Decima engine games since it's crossplatform with PC.

I can see Until Dawn coming next and maybe Killzone or a future multiplayer Killzone game that will have a cross-play and some sort of live service plan built in.

I don't think they will go back on port older existing games.

More to the point as I've been saying for years, PC and console are separate markets and dont (generally) compete.

I'm not sure if you've heard of this company called Sony, but they disagree based on actual data - pivot point being roughly mid-gen, hence PS4 Pro Super/Ultra/Turbo i.

Dude is a PC Master Race warrior, but he is legit.

Also, I think, banned on resetera. I'm not sure what this does to the average poster's street cred!

My guess is that this will be limited to Decima engine games since it's crossplatform with PC.

I can see Until Dawn coming next and maybe Killzone or a future multiplayer Killzone game that will have a cross-play and some sort of live service plan built in.

I don't think they will go back on port older existing games.

My guess they will release all PS4 games on PC and they will keep PS5 games exclusives until a PS6 release or a full transition to streaming cloud services.

I had no idea that Until Dawn used the Decima engine until I googled that. I'm not a huge fan of horror or overly-heavy story driven games but Until Dawn was really, really good :yes: I especially liked the way your view of characters, both as they developed independently and your direction influenced their actions, radically changed over the course of the game. :yes:

So based on their data they now have decided they're bleeding users to the PC regardless & the PS4Pro didn't stem it enough? Or they know the competition is faster & the only way to compete is to release their exclusives on the much faster PC platforms? Can't fathom them releasing on PC if their own console platform was enough.

Tommy McClain

The thing is it might make sense for Sony games to come to PC, but it makes a lot more sense for MS games to. Why? Because MS own the platform people generally call "PC", aka MIcrosoft Windows. If MS gives "PC" a Xbox exclusive, they're wanting to give you one more reason to buy a Windows and not a Mac or Chromebook or Linux.

For Sony it's just some spare change. Honestly I'd question it. Their fiscals show their gaming segment in Playstation alone is a highly profitable engine. Why mess with it?

In a sense Stadia is really the biggest gaming wise threat to Windows in a while, because it takes the games away from Windows, but people hate it.

More money is more money and I see little risk here. It also establishes Sony in the PC market and, if they have ambitions of creating a subscription service that extends past the PlayStation hardware, that could be valuable down the road.

This will be huge if Sony begin to routinely release first party PS4 exclusives on Windows at the same time as the appear on PlayStation consoles.
It's huge now because it shows Sony is willing to devalue their PS franchise somewhat by enabling people to play PS games on PC. Sony said they were looking at other markets, and this is just that. Early days may just be a few old games ported to die hards who flatly refuse to buy a Sony console or use PSNow for a month, but long term, it implies a move towards platform agnosticism. Games will run on PS5 (PC hardware). They'll get PC ports. For streaming plans, it'd behoove Sony to run their games on any old PC server...

PS still has the user experience advantage of a console and perhaps that's what Sony will rely on. Burt the fact PC owners looking enviously at PS 1st party exclusives can now start thinking, "I'll get it for PC when it comes out," means Sony aren't going to try to push for conversion.

So based on their data they now have decided they're bleeding users to the PC regardless & the PS4Pro didn't stem it enough? Or they know the competition is faster & the only way to compete is to release their exclusives on the much faster PC platforms? Can't fathom them releasing on PC if their own console platform was enough.

Sony said Pro was designed to prevent the bleed to PC to mid-gen whereas this decision, which I note is in the same year as the release of Sony's new console, which is why I am somewhat sceptical of Sony's intentions, follows the release of some Decima-engine games for 'free' (*not free) on PS+. Call me Mr Sceptical, but I kind of think that Kojima did a lot fo the heavy lifting to get Death Stranding on PC and now Sony are leveraging that work so Decima games can be sold to PC users who may then consider a PS5 to play sequels whereas previously that wasn't a remote consideration.

But I'm cynical. :nope:

It also establishes Sony in the PC market

SOE (Sony Online Entertainment) were big in MMORPGs on PC before World of Warcraft, i.e EverQuest.

Tommy McClain

When you have a board and shareholders enough is rarely enough.

Stadia is as much a risk to console gaming as to pc gaming, if anything. Many could replace Sony's box with Stadia's box. If stadia was a thing, that is.

Back