Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If USB type A ends up in the final console i wonder if it is because of mouse and keyboard support?

Think about it. What kind of devices do you typically connect to your console... Hard Drive, USB cable(for controller), Webcam, Mouse & Keyboard. Majority of all devices that fit those categories are probably still using USB type A. You could always use a USB-A to USB-C adapter if you need it, but yes the same can be said if it had USB type C instead I guess. :/

Tommy McClain

Think about it. What kind of devices do you typically connect to your console... Hard Drive, USB cable(for controller), Webcam, Mouse & Keyboard. Majority of all devices that fit those categories are probably still using USB type A. You could always use a USB-A to USB-C adapter if you need it, but yes the same can be said if it had USB type C instead I guess. :/

Tommy McClain

A to C will half the bandwidth and massively reduce the power supplied.

That said we have no idea on HDD upgrade / expansion path. A is probably mandatory to a point to make it possible to transfer games off the Xbox One

I would like A and C really, especially with the idea of VR virtual link on C just in case they dabble in it. I suspect if they are throwing this much power at it the generation will be long, and who knows what will emerge. Not having high bandwidth expansion ports seems a poor choice.

The one thing that instantly struck me was port location, central. I assume no riser boards for cost reasons so the mobo is right up the middle?

With all that APU cooling what on earth needs that much space on the rear of the board? The disc drive is quite slim compared to this case design.

Hopefully XSX has support for bluetooth devices, so keyboards, mice, cameras can just connect over bluetooth. Though I dont know if BT has enough bandwidth for streaming cameras or not.

One could also use usb C to A cables for older devices, but that's additional $10 cost to the user, or usb C to mini-usb/micro-usb. That's how I imagine I'll connect my old XO external drives.

Interesting look at the tool set used by DF. I'd still like to see a write-up detailing them.

Df Direct - Preparing for PS5 and Xbox Series X: Performance Analysis Tools Revamp
hey hey, that's quite the improvement. Anything that makes your life easier leads to better videos and more detailed information. Richard sounds as if they were working on a Disney Pixar render farm before xD

I am surprised they did not have Virtualdub in the mix beforehand, it is an amazing tool for frame serving.

I think whoever has been working on their process has made some massive strides in reducing lost time. This is great for their team moral I suspect as much and of course our viewing pleasure.

One question is how will there be a test of screen tearing if you only have the encoded output? I assumed you just checked the first X pixels in each row down the screen to look for a prior frame match and then new data. I assume their flickering red line was the sampled data.

Also does this new setup aid HDR in any way?

I cannot get HDR via YouTube so would be interested to know how their offline files stack up.

DF has some coverage coming about Star Citizen, very interesting as maybe next gen console games will look like that (late gen perhaps then).

Interlacing will never be a very good solution. There was a reason why it is also used less and less in television. I only use it when I want to make static screenshots. The id engine is also very fast. Most other engines can't even get the this visuals at half the fps.

A look on what to expect from PS5, and XSX for the ones that get that.
DLSS is a boon for people with 4k screens. If it became the norm I'd get a 4k high refresh rate ultrawide curved monitor --wish I were rich. Plus nVidia promised better support for 3440x1440p screens. The 1080p native signal with DLSS looks arguably better than native 4k.

I am surprised they did not have Virtualdub in the mix beforehand, it is an amazing tool for frame serving.

I think whoever has been working on their process has made some massive strides in reducing lost time. This is great for their team moral I suspect as much and of course our viewing pleasure.

One question is how will there be a test of screen tearing if you only have the encoded output? I assumed you just checked the first X pixels in each row down the screen to look for a prior frame match and then new data. I assume their flickering red line was the sampled data.

Also does this new setup aid HDR in any way?

I cannot get HDR via YouTube so would be interested to know how their offline files stack up.
hehe, VirtualDub is a tool that I downloaded several times in the past just because I wanted it as a video player which could easily play frame by frame.

Something I wonder is why they haven't used the framerate counter from nVidia for their videos. Instead of using 3rd party tools that eat resources, using the built-in framerate counter in nVidia Geforce Experience.

Also, the Game bar from MS has a fps counter too, which being built at the OS level should also eat very little resources.

Last edited:
hehe, VirtualDub is a tool that I downloaded several times in the past just because I wanted it as a video player which could easily play frame by frame.

Something I wonder is why they haven't used the framerate counter from nVidia for their videos. Instead of using 3rd party tools that eat resources, using the built-in framerate counter in nVidia Geforce Experience.

Also, the Game bar from MS has a fps counter too, which being built at the OS level should also eat very little resources.

I suspect it's the need for a frame time graph, Halo 3 is a good example here. I believe it has a pretty solid 30fps for the most part but the frame timing is off so it has a judder. Any conventional tool will show 30fps.

Microsoft themselves failed to detect this because they used more conventional tools. This specifically made them change their testing.

Also if they use the same system they can more easily integrate different sources into the same analysis. Same workflow, same video fidelity, and I would think confidence that a rogue driver update will not dissrupt the workflow.

A new video on doom

Intersting on the 35fps game logic. I wonder if Xbox S/X with freesync ,or 120hz output could give a smooth performance with a suitable display.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back