Moderators changing user's choice of acronyms. What constitutes suitable language? *spawn

• Thread starter Deleted member 13524
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 13524

Is.. is someone going around censoring SeX?
Like ninja editing my posts to switch SeX for "XBSX"?

Are we on a forbidden words dystopia now?

Imagine being so overly sensitive and prude that you think using the word sex automatically makes a conversation "juvenile"..
To the point of sneakily editing people's posts to censor the "SeX" word that you find problematic and somehow leaves you offended.

I guess everything is fair game in the era of the eternally offended.
So much concern about keeping this forum apart from resetera and yet its cancer seems to be spreading here quite fast.

Seriously? You're lamenting the fact that B3D, a technical forum dedicated primarily to intellectual, technical discussion, won't allow an abbreviation to SeX? Why do you so want to abbreviate the XBox Series X to SeX? Does it help communication, or do you find it funny? The latter is juvenile.

If you want to use childish terms and post cat memes everywhere, there's a million other places on the internet for that. If you want to talk sensibly, here's the best place, in part because we keep a higher general standard. It has nothing to do with taking offense and everything to do with appropriate behaviour for this particular community.

You're lamenting the fact that B3D, a technical forum dedicated primarily to intellectual, technical discussion, won't allow an abbreviation to SeX?
I am lamenting the fact that B3D is implementing word bans on grounds of apparent puritanism and some people feeling offended by the term (which let's be honest here: it's mostly the later, just like it was for the previous word ban mentioned just above.. but that one was also discussed at length).

Why do you so want to abbreviate the XBox Series X to SeX? Does it help communication, or do you find it funny? The latter is juvenile.
It's the shortest way to very clearly be able to type the name of a product because there's a large plethora of other products with very similar names.
I find it convenient and sexy, and much less likely to generate communication mistakes derived from switching one capital letter between XBX and XSX, or adding one between XBX and XBSX.
IMO, both the "suggested" (obligatory?) terms are pretty terrible if you want clarity in a discussion made of quickly-typed short texts. Definitely use those if what you want is constant miscommunications.

It's too bad that you find "sex" juvenile (which to me sounds like an overly puritanical POV, though I guess we might come from different cultures and generations so it's understandable).
But you don't have to use SeX, that's fine for me. Stopping others from using it because you don't like it? That's a whole different subject.

New It's ironic that I had an XBone before we even started talking about SeX
See, puns aside, from this sentence I can clearly see that you're talking about the 2013 XBox One and then about the 2020 XBox Series X.

I am lamenting the fact that B3D is implementing word bans on grounds of apparent puritanism
It's not puritansim. If someone were to use Wee instead of Wii, or Piss instead of PS5, or any other silly, contrived contraction (after a grace period of allowing ridicule if a company opens themselves up to it ;)), it'd be changed.

It's the shortest way to very clearly be able to type the name of a product because there's a large plethora of other products with very similar names.
It also screws completely with web searches. Use XBSX. You might find it very challenging at first to parse a whole extra letter, but with practice, you'll get used to it. Heck, XBSX is easier to type than SeX because you can leave the shift down. Considering your brain is capable of reading rows of text about angry people having rows despite 'rows' and 'rows' being identical, you should have faith that you'll come to be fluent with the new acronym and able to make instant sense of it eventually.

See, puns aside, from this sentence I can clearly see that you're talking about the 2013 XBox One and then about the 2020 XBox Series X.
XBox One abbreviates to XBOne or XBone. If some people want to read that as 'X bone' and giggle, that's on them. Anyone using XBoner or some other contrived contraction would find it similarly replaced with a more appropriate contraction. And of course, the most efficient contraction used by people not trying to be funny is XBO, which is the easiest to type.

OXB
XBO
XBX
XBSX

It's really not hard. ;)

Last edited:
I wouldn't care if others used Wee or PiSS. I guess the years of changing diapers on two babies just made me lose all comedic association towards bodily fluid dejects.
Lots of acronyms start in jest and then they just naturally lose the funny aspect of it and people get unfazed while still using it.
I think XBSX is terrible. Pressing shift is just the position where my right-hand's 5th finger is always placed at, it doesn't change how fast I type.

Can I please just type SeX like before?
If SeX is too frontal, can I use SerX? XSeX? SuperX?

Honestly, I'd rather write Penguin than XBSX. Can I use Penguin?

I can't see any legitimate reason to give anyone exemption. Effective communication requires everyone use the same standards, including stupid ones like English spellings. I honestly can't fathom your complaint with XBSX. The letters XB and S are on the left. One can hold the right-shift down and type XBSX with a roll of the left hand. Are you not using a QWERTY keyboard?

We wouldn't tolerate someone using anything other than BRD to talk about BluRay Discs. We wouldn't have anything other than AMD to talk about Advanced Micro Devices. We'd expect PS3 to talk about the PlayStation 3. If we're not consistent, we don't know what people are talking about.

Motion denied. Sorry. It's a rare, heavier-than-usually-handed moderation policy in effective and we have to stick by it.

edit: Feel free to not bother with a contraction and just write SeriesX if you prefer. Although that isn't good for searching and it'd be better if the terms were universal. I guess eventually we'll be able to contract MS's console names by a count of how many Xs they have, so 4X for the "XBoX series X pro X" and 6X for the "XboX series XL pro-X MMXXV edition" :p

Last edited:
I dont know apparently just sticking an " i " in front of everything is pure genius ;)

Not that the "i" thing isn't silly, but for the level of shitness to even be comparable, apple should have followed the iPhone 3G with iPhone ONE, then iPhone ONE i, to then iPhone Series i.

We wouldn't tolerate someone using anything other than BRD to talk about BluRay Discs.
You wouldn't?
Googling «"BRD" site:forum.beyond3d.com» gives away 303 results;
Googling «"BR" site:forum.beyond3d.com» gives away 885 results;
Googling «"bluray" site:forum.beyond3d.com» gives away 1050 results;
Googling «"blu-ray" site:forum.beyond3d.com» gives away 1800 results.

You actually chose the (by far) least preferred method for mentioning BluRay.
It's almost like the overwhelming majority of B3D users prefer writing longer words than using strings of 3 or 4 capital letters, for the sake of better communication. Because the world is already too full of those.

Motion denied. Sorry. It's a rare, heavier-than-usually-handed moderation policy in effective and we have to stick by it.
Sounds a bit like targeted harassment, to be honest.

edit: Feel free to not bother with a contraction and just write SeriesX if you prefer.
Thank you. Will do.

You wouldn't?
Googling «"BRD" site:forum.beyond3d.com» gives away 303 results;
Googling «"BR" site:forum.beyond3d.com» gives away 885 results;
Have you confirmed those are all talking about BluRay Discs? That they aren't things like 'BR drive'? Or, as I see looking at the search results, that those 885 results aren't referring to something else completely such as HTML breaks. ;)

upload_2020-1-14_15-56-24.png

Googling «"bluray" site:forum.beyond3d.com» gives away 1050 results;
Googling «"blu-ray" site:forum.beyond3d.com» gives away 1800 results.
They're not contractions! We're not going to stop people typing in the full (or partial) name of a product. ;) But if someone were to start using BlRy, we'd likely tell them not to because it's inconsistent. AFAICS you're the only one using SeX to talk about Series X. If you wrote XBox Series X, there'd be no complaint. XB series X - no complaint. Series X, no complaint. XBSX; no complaint. SeX - No. XBoxsxsxsx - no. xbxxxxx - no. We want terms and acronyms that are consistent and appropriate. Pretty much always, these naturally occur and no direct moderation is needed. I don't honestly recall any other time any mod has felt the need to step in.

Note, if the next console MS produce is the Xbox Super Elite X, yes, XBSEX and SEX will be totally appropriate.

Sounds a bit like targeted harassment, to be honest.
?

I'm amazed you're actually dedicating any time and emotion to wanting to use the word "sex" as an acronym for a console here. It was amusing for about 5 minutes.

It's not puritansim. If someone were to use Wee instead of Wii, or Piss instead of PS5, or any other silly, contrived contraction (after a grace period of allowing ridicule if a company opens themselves up to it ;)), it'd be changed.

If that's the argument, why not just edit a post and leave a mod remark with what was edited and why? Stealth edits by mods are a slippery slope IMO.

I'm amazed you're actually dedicating any time and emotion to wanting to use the word "sex" as an acronym for a console here. It was amusing for about 5 minutes.
Here:
I am lamenting the fact that B3D is implementing word bans on grounds of apparent puritanism and some people feeling offended by the term (which let's be honest here: it's mostly the later, just like it was for the previous word ban mentioned just above.. but that one was also discussed at length).

If it was about using the word "sex" I wouldn't have suggested a bunch of other alternatives.

It's not about using this word or the other, it's about having this increasing list of forbidden words to mention something in a forum, and it's about stealth editing posts, and it's about the motives for doing both.

Next step is having a "Glossary of Allowed Terms for use in B3D" because the other terms offends or cause discomfort to mods A and B, or because it's easier to search (which apparently is now a very large concern.. if only we knew that before freely using the terms "Neo", "PS4Pro", "PS4P" and "Pro" for the same thing.. and lets not even go to the GPU and CPU sections where we freely and interchangeably use chip codenames and product names).

Do I have to say it?

How many people had been using "SeX" besides me, and as often as me?
Which mod did the stealth editing? Was it the same mod who got me a 2-week ban during the 2013 E3 reveals, by quickly serving several infractions at the same time for posts as neutral as "I don't think this game is for core games because it has QTE"?
The same mod who's now actively posting flamebaits here and there? Perhaps to see if the 2013 episode gets repeated (with me and/or others)?

Who exactly suggested that "M$" should be banned because it undermines Microsoft (i.e. it offends someone)? Who exactly suggested "SeX" should be banned because it might undermine the XBox Series X console?
(Was it the moderators' hive mind and all of them reached the same conclusion at the same time?)

Isn't it odd that these very specific and unprecedented word bans are always being applied around Microsoft's brand and products?

Back