Building a new pc : ryzen 5 2600, gtx 1660 super, 2x8GB ddr4 3200mhz cl16

No bloody idea, buying a motherboard and memory shouldn't be this hard
It was a lot worse when Ryzen was first released but AFAICT Zen 2 (gen3) is a lot better for memory compatibility. I learned the hard way not to go cheap on RAM for my Ryzen. I ended up selling my original TridentZ memory on ebay and buying Samsung B-die version instead but I still couldn't use default XMP profile until many BIOS updates later.

No bloody idea, buying a motherboard and memory shouldnt be this hard
AGREED!

I got lucky with my CPU/mobo/mem, I had no clue you had to check the memory for motherboard compatibility so I just picked the cheapest, fastest my mobo supported. Did the xp2 thing in the BIOS/EUFI/WETF and it liked it, then OCed the CPU a few weeks later to around 3.9 with the stock cooler and it's been running happy since.

That's one of the big reasons I just got my son the exact same setup as me, aside from it being a great value; I knew it worked. After talking to people here and looking at different things I got downright afraid to do anything else! :oops:

(His system is doing great and he's loving it btw, just pissed his R9 2x295 doesn't make use of the second GPU much)

AGREED!

I got lucky with my CPU/mobo/mem, I had no clue you had to check the memory for motherboard compatibility so I just picked the cheapest, fastest my mobo supported. Did the xp2 thing in the BIOS/EUFI/WETF and it liked it, then OCed the CPU a few weeks later to around 3.9 with the stock cooler and it's been running happy since.

That's one of the big reasons I just got my son the exact same setup as me, aside from it being a great value; I knew it worked. After talking to people here and looking at different things I got downright afraid to do anything else! :oops:

(His system is doing great and he's loving it btw, just pissed his R9 2x295 doesn't make use of the second GPU much)

The casing also all over the place.

I got compatibility issue with the pc case hdd bay is not high enough. The ram stylized heatspreader make the heigh aroumd 0.5cm too tall.

Solution? I asked my dad to help me drill off the pc casing hdd Bay

Traditional HDD bays haven't been a thing in cases for years. You have to actively find a case design for those.

I've ranted about that, what are people who need several hdd's supposed to do
nas is too expensive plus it requires the purchase of an additional network card
to connect to the nas

Get a case with 3 5.25" bays and use a 4in3 or 5in3 drive caddy.

Do you know how difficult that actually is (I do I checked) without going full tower (and even then 50% of full tower cases on sale at overclockers only have 2 5.25 bays)
and how limited your final choice's are ?
It's even incredibly difficult to find a mid tower case with a single 5.25" bay nevermind 3

Uh, in my case I simply removed the bay and left the hdd laying on the bottom of the case (layered with a piece of paper), unscrewed, unsecured.

And left the SATA ssd dangling off the cables

Do you know how difficult that actually is (I do I checked) without going full tower
and how limited your final choice's are ?
It's even incredibly difficult to find a mid tower case with a single 5.25" bay nevermind 3
What do you expect case makers to do? There's no market in them anymore, you're only 1 of 3 people in the world who still put multiple mechanical drives in a desktop.

And why would you need another network card to connect to a NAS?

What do you expect case makers to do? There's no market in them anymore, you're only 1 of 3 people in the world who still put multiple mechanical drives in a desktop.

And why would you need another network card to connect to a NAS?

Maybe in the "west". In Indonesia it's actually pretty hard to find a pc case that doesn't have too many hdd bays and odd bays.

Unless you go with expensive big brands

Maybe in the "west". In Indonesia it's actually pretty hard to find a pc case that doesn't have too many hdd bays and odd bays.

Unless you go with expensive big brands
Maybe Davros should move to Indonesia.

There's no market in them anymore,
Games are now hitting 150gb in size they have to go somewhere
why would you need another network card to connect to a NAS?
most motherboards come with 1 network card I use that to connect to my router, how does the nas connect ?

Heres several hundred cases see how many of them have enough hdd bays
https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/cases/mid-tower-pc-cases-with-window#

Last edited:
most motherboards come with 1 network card I use that to connect to my router, how does the nas connect ?
To the router if it has multiple internal LAN ports (most routers do), or to a separate switch if not. That's what a network is, a bunch of devices talking to each other on a switch.

Which means I'd be limited to the speed of my router which is designed for 8mbit broadband
The external internet connection speed has nothing to do with the capabilities of the internal LAN ports, which should be at least gigabit. It all depends on what your router is and whether it's indeed a "router" or a modem with passthrough. A router will usually have 4 internal LAN ports that you connect your PC(s) to, with an external internet connection either through a WAN port or directly to Cable.

I'm going by manufacturer code eg: CMW32GX4M2Z3200C16
thats Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Black 32GB 3200 MHz AMD Ryzen Tuned DDR4 Memory Kit
and its not supported by the board I was thinking of buying

This is all the info Gigabyte supply
UyqCV4g.jpg

I've found that memory compatibility generally relies more on the CPU than the MB when it comes to Ryzen. That said, it's possible that some quirk prevents it from working in that MB.

What I generally tend to do is look at Newegg and Amazon user reviews to see if any users have tried a certain SKU of memory on a Ryzen based system. Additionally reddit can be a help here as well.

Didn't see anything on Reddit, but people on Amazon have had success at running it at the rated speeds with Ryzen 2xxx and 3xxx series CPUs.

One that appears to be hopeful for your case from Amazon.

work flawlessly with ryzen 9 3600x
By crossbone2007 on August 13, 2019 I wanted a good 32 Gb memory and didn't want to break the bank for my new Ryzen 9 3900X. I decided to gamble and bought this memory. Both modules works about of the box in my Gygabyte X570 arus Ultra. see less

The biggest thing to do is make sure you can easily return them if needed. There is some variability when it comes to RAM, so there's always the possibility that while X person could run it just fine that Y person might have to clock it slightly lower.

And sometimes you have to manually adjust memory settings to get it to run at the rated speed versus just having it automatically be set.

It's a good thing that good storefronts don't operate like the Epic Game Store or I'd spend forever trying to find well priced RAM for my systems and then still not be sure if they'd work or not. :p

Hope that helps.

Regards,
SB

Back