Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be unlikely to be replaceable at all if it's got Sony secret sauce on it. So some folks might be careful with what they wish for.

External options are probably out for MS also, unless that unknown slot is for fast media.

Sony has patented some sort of cartdrige SSD, so it might be expandable at least.

Sony has patented some sort of cartdrige SSD, so it might be expandable at least.

That sounds like you would be required to buy proprietary drives from Sony. Like how it worked for Xbox 360.

Not a problem of course so long as they don't mark it up to much.

You don't need the external SSD to be as fast as the internal one if they used the internal one as a cache for the external one in that use case.

You don't need the external SSD to be as fast as the internal one if they used the internal one as a cache for the external one in that use case.

If the speed of the internal storage solution is as fast as they are claiming then anything short of using Thunderbolt 3 would not match it.

It was confirmed to be for a toy. Not for a game console.

Ok, missed that. Although to be pedantic, it is related to "gaming", just not to console gaming :p. You could have been more specific, as I went to see the patent which did fit the bill.

Half of the CPU cores for the PS4, 1/4th of the memory as "set in stone" in June 2012?

That's an information as old as the github leak is from gen9's release, yet it seems it all changed just a little bit from the supposedly "set in stone".
Oh, that or the information was just plain wrong.

They were right at one point in time before they were wrong. I didn't double down on anything.

The specs were the best available info at I had at the time.

Ok, missed that. Although to be pedantic, it is related to "gaming", just not to console gaming :p. You could have been more specific, as I went to see the patent which did fit the bill.
Actually, I really thought someone said it was unrelated to gaming, until you pointed out it was by SIE. Instead of losing the argument, I looked it up and found out it's a toy unrelated to playstation. That was extreme laziness on my part. :LOL:

Last edited:
If the speed of the internal storage solution is as fast as they are claiming then anything short of using Thunderbolt 3 would not match it.
It doesn't have to match it is the thing. Maybe you'd always have to load a portion of the game into the internal drive to be playable but other than that, streaming into the internal drive and using it as a cache should be possible.

I guess technically I shouldn't be posting about expansion bases then. :p
I'm all about that, all about that bass
I'm all about that, all about that bass
I'm all about that bass, no treble
We gon' take it to a whole another level

We know that dev kit ain't real
We know that dev kit ain't real
We know that dev kiit ain't real
We know it's photoshoped

Something something teraflops....

Status
Not open for further replies.