Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely a weird thread and feels different to other generations. Loads of activity here (and nowhere else!) that's not really covering anything at all.

All in all, a Base and Pro simultaneous launch is the best option, a 9.2tf base isn’t as pathetically weak as a 4tf Lockhart so next gen baseline is firm, then a 14tf Pro would rock the world for everything else. Why can’t Sony see this?

They won’t even bother for a difference like that.

Its easy to figure out timeline of AMD chips that we have codename for. Looks like Sony started working on PS5 chip ~6 months before MS started theirs.

Makes sense with reports of 2/3rds of Radeon engineers being all hands on deck for Sony chip.

Seems to me work on Sony chip started around late 2017, for MS likely a bit later.

This matched up with when the chips came out of OQA. It was May for PS5, seems to be Dec / Jan for MS.
Maybe they needed to start early to make sure BC work is done, or Navi was a bit late, but from what I figured out, Ariel was never intended to be 2019 chip. A bit early for late 2020, definitely late for 2019.

Will write speculative (!) analysis on how I got there.

Maybe they needed to start early to make sure BC work is done, or Navi was a bit late, but from what I figured out, Ariel was never intended to be 2019 chip. A bit early for late 2020, definitely late for 2019.

Will write speculative (!) analysis on how I got there.

My theory: The chip for 2019 PS5 was designed, but they delayed 6 more months to upgrade the CPU.

My theory: The chip for 2019 PS5 was designed, but they delayed 6 more months to upgrade the CPU.
Not sure, but it seems to be started after Starship and before Renoir. Starship is line of HEDT Zen2 CPUs that just came out, and Renoir is Zen2 based APU for notebooks that just got announced at CES and is coming in few months time.

Obviously, big monolithic semi custom SOC will need more time in the oven.

I think that's a consequence of this forum going more "mainstream" over the years.
Also lack of superdae getting hacking Sony and getting all the Dev docs and a xbox Dev kit delivered to his house.

Last gen was special in that regard never to happen again.

We are feeding on table scraps and vague comments. Many people putting 2 + 2 together and making 8.

Proper reveals cannot come soon enough for me. At least we might get some actual information that we can put into context.

Also lack of superdae getting hacking Sony and getting all the Dev docs and a xbox Dev kit delivered to his house.

Last gen was special in that regard never to happen again.

We are feeding on table scraps and vague comments. Many people putting 2 + 2 together and making 8.

Proper reveals cannot come soon enough for me. At least we might get some actual information that we can put into context.
Well back in PS360 time we had entire 360 diagram leak in April 2004, and for Sony we pretty much got confirmation on what is Cell capable of before 2004. We didnt know GPU specs till 2005, but we knew in 2003 that they are going with Nvidia duo to inability to make their own (Toshiba/Sony) stuff work.

Last gen we got hacked dev documents by January 2013 and this time we got AMD internal testing. Its missing context and we dont know things for certain, but we know ballpark.

I think that's a consequence of this forum going more "mainstream" over the years.

I have to chuckle a little bit at this. This place is all kinds of intimidating. Especially from a layman's perspective. Look at some of the posts around here. I am just a hobbyist. No formal training in software at all, but more than 30 years of closely following the tech out of simple curiosity. There are posts here, in more general threads, not the narrow deep dive ones, that I have to parse out and look up terms. Even then I would freely admit that knowing the definition didn't make the post much clearer to me. No matter how nice and tolerant everyone is around here, especially in comparison to what one see's on "mainstream" forums, this place remains intimidating simply because of the knowledge the long term posters regularly present here.

I strangely heard the same thing about a football forum I frequent a while back. People didn't want to join for fear of ridicule/ lack of knowledge/ fanboism/ contamination, etc. Hell, I have several posts here over the years that included statements of apology for ignorance and thanks for tolerance. Beyond3D may have grown much over time, but to call it mainstream I think vastly underestimates the sheer intimidation of interacting here as a layman who probably belongs more on a place like resetera. I have gotten more out of keeping my mouth shut (mostly) and reading here than I have gotten from all other sources combined.

have gotten more out of keeping my mouth shut (mostly) and reading here than I have gotten from all other sources combined.
yea I got my ass kicked up and down this forum. Still do. Haha.
But I got used to it. I Stopped making (as many) such dumb posts afterwards. Indeed participating is learning. But it did come with scrapes and bruises.

Its easy to figure out timeline of AMD chips that we have codename for. Looks like Sony started working on PS5 chip ~6 months before MS started theirs.

Makes sense with reports of 2/3rds of Radeon engineers being all hands on deck for Sony chip.

Seems to me work on Sony chip started around late 2017, for MS likely a bit later.
Not this again :confused:
No, there was never 2/3rds of Radeon engineers being all hands on deck for Sony chip. There might have been 2/3rds of Radeon engineers being all hands on deck for Navi, but that has nothing to do with Sony.
MS and Sony deal with the semi-custom people at AMD, and semi-custom people at AMD get their hands on the IP blocks that they'll use to build those semi-custom chips when they're ready to be implemented (aka when AMD had the blocks ready for themselves).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back