Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don´t expect any microled for consumers* in the next 10 years if ever, the fact that Samsung it´s investing in their version of OLED (Blue oleds + qled as colour filters) is quite telling...

I don´t expect any microled for consumers* in the next 10 years if ever, the fact that Samsung it´s investing in their version of OLED (Blue oleds + qled as colour filters) is quite telling...

At this CES it looks like things have been accelerating and now they’re saying less than 5 years. They already have consumer products ready to ship this year, albeit impossibly expensive of course, so it will get better from there, as all other techs.

Nothing personal. I’m not out to upgrade now or in the next 3-4 years, and MicroLED seems the best option whenever I will be ready to upgrade because with that tech you can have everything OLED offers but with no burn in and much higher brightness.
The B9 and C9 offer a bunch of features that make burn-in a non-threat. For example, it automatically enables a screensaver if it detects a still image after a couple of minutes.
It's also constantly sweeping the framebuffer to see if there are repeated patterns in the image streaming and it automatically flickers and changes each pixel's position in those zones to avoid retention, but without the user ever noticing it's happening. So in e.g. a game with a constant HUD it'll never retain the HUD elements and you practically won't notice it. Same thing with TV channel logos, for example.

As for brightness, the C9 OLEDs do ~760nits on 25% of the screen, which is about twice as much brightness as my previous edge-lit Hisense TV and honestly it's great. I wonder if most people with >1000 nits LCD panels actually ever use all that brightness since all TVs come with pre-configured power saving modes and a lowered maximum brightness.
In the end, do you really need brightness levels that force you to squint (and strain your eyesight) on bright images? Or do you need the perception of spectacular and actually infinite contrast?

I'd say people only need a TV with super >1000nits contrast if they watch TV on spectacular natural-lit rooms, like ones with 2 fronts of continuous tall windows on high floors that reside on sunny cities.

Regardless, I won't be surprised if the new LG CX reach peak brightness levels of 1000nits, since they're claiming improved brightness in the new models. I'd wait for reviews to confirm this though.

That G-Sync support is only via ‘G-Sync via HDMI’, similiar as how Samsung was supporting Freesync, and how this year’s Vizio supports both Freesync and G-Sync. Even though HDMI 2.1 VRR is pretty much Freesync as AMD has lobbied, the 2 are not backwards compatible at all. This year’s LG X series OLED will not support Freesync out of the box, only G-Sync, and even if they manage to support FreeSync, it’s ultimately meaningless as both FreenSync/G-Sync via HDMI will not support HDR at all. (This difference was well presented by nVidia. VRR range will also be restricted to 40Hz-120Hz compared to G-Sync Ultimate)

There's really no reason to support Freesync over HDMI considering VRR is now part of the standard. What AMD needs to do is either trick the HDMI VRR into adopting Freesync 2 (like nvidia is apparently doing with G-Sync on those TV sets) or just adopt HDMI 2.1 on their GPUs.

Regardless, HDR on the PC is a mess right now so you either have a mid-gen console or you're better off skipping until AMD and nvidia launch HDMI 2.1 GPUs.

Last edited by a moderator:
The B9 and C9 offer a bunch of features that make burn-in a non-threat. For example, it automatically enables a screensaver if it detects a still image after a couple of minutes.
It's also constantly sweeping the framebuffer to see if there are repeated patterns in the image streaming and it automatically flickers and changes each pixel's position in those zones to avoid retention, but without the user ever noticing it's happening. So in e.g. a game with a constant HUD it'll never retain the HUD elements and you practically won't notice it. Same thing with TV channel logos, for example.

As for brightness, the C9 OLEDs do ~760nits on 25% of the screen, which is about twice as much brightness as my previous edge-lit Hisense TV and honestly it's great. I wonder if most people with >1000 nits LCD panels actually ever use all that brightness since all TVs come with pre-configured power saving modes and a lowered maximum brightness.
In the end, do you really need brightness levels that force you to squint (and strain your eyesight) on bright images? Or do you need the perception of spectacular and actually infinite contrast?

I'd say people only need a TV with super >1000nits contrast if they watch TV on spectacular natural-lit rooms, like ones with 2 fronts of continuous tall windows on high floors that reside on sunny cities.

Regardless, I won't be surprised if the new LG CX reach peak brightness levels of 1000nits, since they're claiming improved brightness in the new models. I'd wait for reviews to confirm this.

The C9 is really amazing but I’m not upgrading now so it’s a moot point.

Why would anyone want to avoid an OLED?

OLED made sense when it came to good contrast and dark blacks but despite being around commercially for well over a decade, manufacturers have never got the cost down, the brightness remains limited and the issue burin in has never fully be resolved. The industry has looked for a way to improve LED and microLED is it.

I'm not avoiding OLED but if microLED is an option this year or next, I'm jumping on this tech.

Prices have come down significantly. Last year's models can now be had for around ~1000 dollar/euro. OLED tv's are consistently the best/at the top when it comes to price/performance. No, there aren't any dirt cheap models but to claim price hasn't come down is simply wrong. Are a lack of (peak) brightness and burn in really a real world issue on newer models? From what I gather it basically isn't.

Nothing personal. I’m not out to upgrade now or in the next 3-4 years, and MicroLED seems the best option whenever I will be ready to upgrade because with that tech you can have everything OLED offers but with no burn in and much higher brightness.

Also important, I hate Samsung so I won’t buy a supposed MicroLED TV from them. And also not one of those modular things.

Whenever actual, normal MicroLED TVs start coming out, then we’ll see.

Samsung won't license Dolby Vision.

They pushed another standard, HDR+. Not sure how much adoption there has been, by other manufacturers and the studios who produce content.

When do the SED patents expire? 2025? 2030? I want lasers to burn my retina at 120Hz.

Oh man I'd forgotten about that. Damn patent troll killed those development efforts but sounds like Canon just dropped it, even though the patent troll dropped the lawsuit in 2008.

Wiki says around the same time, Canon started development on OLED but apparently didn't get anywhere.

With the future of the photo gear business in doubt, maybe they could be interested but margins aren't that great in TVs.

:-? LB's not in the market for a new TV for a few years.
Of course he's not!
Unless some terrible accident was to happen to his current TV of course. About 6 months from now. Which absolutely no one wants to happen #wink wink#.

manufacturers have never got the cost down,
Aren't LG's OLEDs actually at a significantly lower cost than FALD TVs at the moment?
At least the B series seem to be.

Plus, OLED production has been ramping up constantly. Right now everyone is buying the panels from LG but with Samsung entering the race I think prices are probably going down even more.

Looks like someone finally realized that not everyone want to have their eyes burned with 1000 nits and above, too bad they want to use ambient light sensor and not user preference for controlling this tone mapping, but it's step closer to usable HDR.

Light sensor to automatically adjust brightness levels is not new.

LG aims to sell 6 million OLEDs this year, compared to 3 million last year. I don’t know if this includes OLEDs sold by other brands using Their panels or just LG.

You’d think they’d have to price aggressively to double the volume though.

LG aims to sell 6 million OLEDs this year, compared to 3 million last year. I don’t know if this includes OLEDs sold by other brands using Their panels or just LG.

You’d think they’d have to price aggressively to double the volume though.

That's shipped panels. That's why Vizio announcing OLED sets is important.

However, this still relies on them sorting out the problems at the China fab. LG are hopeful the problems will be sorted by summer of this year.

Regards,
SB

So Sony has managed to avoid using HDMI 2.1 on their 2020 OLED models. Great job guys.

How to lose brand credibility in one simple step.

Perhaps what they really want is to sell their 8K TVs for PS5 users, since those apparently do support HDMI 2.1..

It's not simple backlight control via light sensor, it's HDR tone mapping to specific screen brightness (in this case set by light sensor, I would prefer user defined)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back