Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
People may be able to see the difference between true 4K and 25% less viewing them side by side, but I doubt the vast majority of people will be able to identify what they’re looking at without something to compare to. For the most part we’d be talking about a slight blur as the main difference between ps5 and Xbox for multiplat games. Again, I think the worst case for ps5 is if the games are running at something like 1440p on Xbox, but in that case we’ll probably get some different trade offs to improve performance.

Oookay, now I'm really considering to sell my PS4 pro and psvr to save for PS5 or Xbox series x, whichever gonna have better VR.

People may be able to see the difference between true 4K and 25% less viewing them side by side, but I doubt the vast majority of people will be able to identify what they’re looking at without something to compare to.
The only thing that matters to the general consumer is if the new console visuals/games are way better than the old one. If they're not, they won't bother upgrading. If they are, they'll be bought regardless of the numbers inside that plastic casing.

so I don’t blame anyone who can’t see the difference. But there is definitely a difference to be seen. But not everyone has the setup to see it

Some people also simply doesn't care.

Its like DVD VS blu-ray all over again.

Yes blu-ray is better but people doesn't care and keeps buying DVD.

But now streams 4k videos with horrible compression to tiny screens

Oookay, now I'm really considering to sell my PS4 pro and psvr to save for PS5 or Xbox series x, whichever gonna have better VR.

That's likely to be PS5, based on Spencer's comments last month on VR. It did make me think that if Lockhart is a thing, it'll be a bit useless for nextgen VR. It shrinks the addressable Xbox VR market to just Series X. It'd be fine if WMR2 was a thing, but it doesn't seem to be on the the horizon.

Last edited:
That's likely to be PS5, based on Spiller's comments last month on VR. It did make me think that if Lockhart is a thing, it'll be a bit useless for nextgen VR. It shrinks the addressable Xbox VR market to just Series X. It'd be fine if WMR2 was a thing, but it doesn't seem to be on the the horizon.
O/T but are Microsoft actually aiming to deliver a VR solution fro XSX? I vaguely recall that was the aim for One X but that didn't happy. Possibly PSVR/Oculus/OtherVR sales made them think twice.

O/T but are Microsoft actually aiming to deliver a VR solution fro XSX? I vaguely recall that was the aim for One X but that didn't happy. Possibly PSVR/Oculus/OtherVR sales made them think twice.

The above post had a typo, "Spencer"

First Google hit on the quote

Don't expect Microsoft's next-generation console, Project Scarlett (now known as Xbox Series X), to put much of a focus on virtual reality. Xbox boss Phil Spencer said in a new interview with Stevivor that Microsoft is building the new console based on what fans are asking for--and "nobody's asking for VR."

Spencer said in the interview that he has a number of issues with VR as a platform, beginning with the fact that he sees it as an "isolating" technology that separates people instead of bringing them together. Virtual reality technology may one day explode in popularity, but for now, it is a niche market, Spencer said, so the company doesn't plan to focus on it.

Don't expect companies to talk about what they're not ready to talk about, so expect certain amount of downplaying until they have everything aligned.

I mean, they don't offer objectively worse quality. They offer subjectively worse quality. There's no future in gaming without stochastic rendering, importance sampling, temporal data. Brute force native rendering comes with huge compromises and the number of titles that do that will be next to none.
The only compromise is performance. And the techniques we are talking about, VRS, reconstruction, CBR, ect... They all do look worse when compared to native rendering. They work because most people won't notice the quality hit (it's subjective) and using them offers a performance benefit that allows you to increase or stabilize framerates or increase rendering quality of certain scene elements at the same performance. But an identical scene rendered subnative with CBR or some form of reconstruction and/or VRS will look worse than the same scene rendered at native resolution with full quality shading.

I'm not wholesale against the idea of this, in the PC space we've lived for years with video card manufactures doing shader replacement and messing with texture filtering quality to gain a performance advantage, but those techniques, just like these new one do look worse, objectively.

They may look worse, but only when compared to scenes with no performance implications. When performance is held identical, using these techniques produces better looking scenes than when they're not used.

DF written article on PS5 and XSX spec leaks: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...laystation-5-xbox-series-x-spec-leak-analysed

The scale and scope of this latest leak is remarkable and the origin of the new information seems even more far-fetched than the Gonzalo story, leading many to believe that the entire thing may be a work of fiction. However, having looked into the situation and independently verified the source, the overwhelming evidence is that the data does indeed originate from AMD - and hasn't been doctored. We're lacking crucial context for sure but the reasons to doubt the veracity of the leak are somewhat thin on the ground.

From what I can gather, someone at AMD's ASIC validation department used GitHub to store fragments of internal testing data from a range of work-in-progress Team Red projects. The leaks include testing of next-gen desktop and mobile Ryzen APUs along with some deep-dive testing on the PS5 chip, now codenamed Oberon. While the data is not public, it's clear that the GitHub test data has travelled far and wide: further details from the leak mentioned in this article are being discussed at length on ResetEra, for example. The genie is out of the bottle.​

Normal TV setup should be sitting as close as being close enough so that it fills your full vision but not so close that you need to look left and right. If you are setup like that; there is a monumental difference between 1080p and 4K

Sorry, I must not have been clear.

I wasn't comparing 1080p to 4k. The points I was making to be more precise.
  • Visual difference between launch PS4 and launch XBO were already difficult to see at typical living room distances.
    • Already hitting diminishing returns with that gap in power at those resolutions at that distance.
  • If PS5 and Xbox Series X have a similar difference in power, the differences will be almost impossible to see on a 4k TV (high resolution rendering) at typical living room distances.
    • Even greater diminishing returns with that gap in power at those resolutions at that distance.
  • If PS5 and Xbox Series X have a similar difference in power, then 1080p on a 1080p TV is likely to be identical or virtually identical.
While some gamers will sit closer to their TV, many people will have their console in the living room gaming from their couch.

Regards,
SB

Sorry, I must not have been clear.

I wasn't comparing 1080p to 4k. The points I was making to be more precise.
  • Visual difference between launch PS4 and launch XBO were already difficult to see at typical living room distances.
    • Already hitting diminishing returns with that gap in power at those resolutions at that distance.
  • If PS5 and Xbox Series X have a similar difference in power, the differences will be almost impossible to see on a 4k TV (high resolution rendering) at typical living room distances.
    • Even greater diminishing returns with that gap in power at those resolutions at that distance.
  • If PS5 and Xbox Series X have a similar difference in power, then 1080p on a 1080p TV is likely to be identical or virtually identical.
While some gamers will sit closer to their TV, many people will have their console in the living room gaming from their couch.

Regards,
SB
Yea. It’s difficult to imagine clarity for details. Very hard for someone to imagine going up in visual clarity than it is for someone who is used to a higher standard of clarity and going into something softer.

People won’t actually care about a resolution difference. Especially at levels well beyond 1400p. But as long as it’s ammo for console wars they will

Yea. It’s difficult to imagine clarity for details. Very hard for someone to imagine going up in visual clarity than it is for someone who is used to a higher standard of clarity and going into something softer.

People won’t actually care about a resolution difference. Especially at levels well beyond 1400p. But as long as it’s ammo for console wars they will

Sony probably will use their "dynamic" wording again. Like PS4 pro was marketed as "dynamic 4k"

m
That's likely to be PS5, based on Spencer's comments last month on VR. It did make me think that if Lockhart is a thing, it'll be a bit useless for nextgen VR. It shrinks the addressable Xbox VR market to just Series X. It'd be fine if WMR2 was a thing, but it doesn't seem to be on the the horizon.

If base ps4 can be good enough for VR, why wouldn't lockhart?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back