Are you disappointed with next-gen consoles for 2020? [XBSX, PS5]

Are you disappointed with next-gen consoles for 2020? (Unrevealed product version)

• Total voters

Esrever

Regular
Anyone else see 9TF and 12TF and think this is pathetic tech progress compared to the previous generation upgrades? Not saying it needs or can be more powerful, just disappointed that progress slowed so much since 10-15 years ago where console generations were a lot more of an upgrade over the last one.In the past, you'd get ~10x progress in basically every area. Now, it seems to be a 2-4x depending on the area.

People are talking about the faster CPU but even the CPU upgrade, from moving from 8 core jaguar to 8 core zen 2, isn't as big as previous generations. The old in order PowerPC cores to the jaguar cores were probably a bigger move than from 8 slow cores to 8 fast cores.The general improvement is nice but I feel it isn't a night or day difference as people are hyping it up as.

RDNA vs GCN is a very small upgrade compared to pre-VLIW5 to GCN, not even counting how much raw performance difference there was. I don't even think RDNA adds anything drastically new and is mostly just ups the number of GCN. VLIW to GCN was a real complete arch change and brought so many compute focused things as well as all the same general performance improvements. GCN IPC in games is probably 30% higher than VLIW5 and you were moving from ~250mflops to 1.4tflops. PS3 to PS4 was a even bigger jump where the PS3 was still on vertex and pixel shaders, no forms of tessellation moving to a unified shaders architecture with all the bells and whistles.

Ram is not nearly as high as I would have expected if you asked me 5 years ago to predict next gen consoles. I would have expected minimum 32 GB as ram has been one of the easier things to always be able to increase in the past gens. 16 GB is a pitiful upgrade over the 8 GB of last gen. Back in the old days, you'd get 8x upgrade in ram capacity and next gen would push ram to 64GB. The SSD will help a lot with this so maybe this is easy to forgive but the raw specs is pretty disappointing.

The only big move is from the SSD which is a nice to have feature and will do cool new things. A huge jump in speed will allow asset streaming without pop ins and remove loading which will be very good. Everything else about the whole next gen is a very mediocre jump, especially with the mid gen consoles already pushing things up from the baseline.

Anyone else see 9TF and 12TF and think this is pathetic tech progress compared to the previous generation upgrades?

That you can thank the Pro and X for. I doubt we will see such things again. Tech doesn't move as fast anymore, we saw that for 6th to 7th and to 8th gen, games don't that look much better anymore. The diff will be even smaller this time around. There is a reason Sony mostly talks about SSD speeds rather then GPU or CPU.

Last edited:
Anyone else see 9TF and 12TF and think this is pathetic tech progress compared to the previous generation upgrades? Not saying it needs or can be more powerful, just disappointed that progress slowed so much since 10-15 years ago where console generations were a lot more of an upgrade over the last one.In the past, you'd get ~10x progress in basically every area. Now, it seems to be a 2-4x depending on the area.

People are talking about the faster CPU but even the CPU upgrade, from moving from 8 core jaguar to 8 core zen 2, isn't as big as previous generations. The old in order PowerPC cores to the jaguar cores were probably a bigger move than from 8 slow cores to 8 fast cores.The general improvement is nice but I feel it isn't a night or day difference as people are hyping it up as.

RDNA vs GCN is a very small upgrade compared to pre-VLIW5 to GCN, not even counting how much raw performance difference there was. I don't even think RDNA adds anything drastically new and is mostly just ups the number of GCN. VLIW to GCN was a real complete arch change and brought so many compute focused things as well as all the same general performance improvements. GCN IPC in games is probably 30% higher than VLIW5 and you were moving from ~250mflops to 1.4tflops. PS3 to PS4 was a even bigger jump where the PS3 was still on vertex and pixel shaders, no forms of tessellation moving to a unified shaders architecture with all the bells and whistles.

Ram is not nearly as high as I would have expected if you asked me 5 years ago to predict next gen consoles. I would have expected minimum 32 GB as ram has been one of the easier things to always be able to increase in the past gens. 16 GB is a pitiful upgrade over the 8 GB of last gen. Back in the old days, you'd get 8x upgrade in ram capacity and next gen would push ram to 64GB. The SSD will help a lot with this so maybe this is easy to forgive but the raw specs is pretty disappointing.

The only big move is from the SSD which is a nice to have feature and will do cool new things. A huge jump in speed will allow asset streaming without pop ins and remove loading which will be very good. Everything else about the whole next gen is a very mediocre jump, especially with the mid gen consoles already pushing things up from the baseline.
You forgot RT.

You forgot RT.
RT in it's current form is barely noticeably better than normal rendering from what I see in real games. Hardware is still very far away from full RT so unless AMD does miracles, the difference is so slight from my perspective. So far, all the RT games have not been impressive to me and honestly many seem to exaggerate the difference between RTX on/off by making the non RT version look worse than other games without any RT.

RT in it's current form is barely noticeably better than normal rendering from what I see in real games. Hardware is still very far away from full RT so unless AMD does miracles, the difference is so slight from my perspective. So far, all the RT games have not been impressive to me and honestly many seem to exaggerate the difference between RTX on/off by making the non RT version look worse than other games without any RT.
We haven't yet seen pipelines made from the ground up to use the hardware RT present on next gen consoles, and we don't even know what the hardware is.

What do you want them to improve next gen?

I was using the same CPU for 10 years, and til the end it played all games smoothly. Seems they can't shrink their transistors anymore so easily. Intel plans 3nm in 10 years - that's 12 atoms :O so what do you expect?

The good news is software lacks behind. So even with less improvements in hardware i think we can expect good progress keeps going on.

EDIT: Voted No. Being in the mood to rant today does not mean i'm disappointed ;P

Last edited:
Dissapointed, no (well, i wanted more). But that's cause i didn't expect more. Mid range late 2020 hardware in a console, could have been anyone's realistic guess.

@Esrever what would it take spec-wise to not be a disappointment to you for a mass-market $400 and $500 console in 2020?

Remember, even the Google Stadia non-console is a $135 product. So how much more can you get on top of nothing for the remaining balance of $265 or $365?

@Esrever what would it take spec-wise to not be a disappointment to you for a mass-market $400 and $500 console in 2020?

Remember, even the Google Stadia non-console is a $135 product. So how much more can you get on top of nothing for the remaining balance of $265 or $365?
Honestly, I am mostly disappointed in the slowing progress of hardware these days, not the consoles themselves. I know realistically, the consoles can't be <$500 and launch next year and be the powerhouses that old generation upgrades used to bring. Used to be your gaming PC was obsolete in 2 years and a 6 year console generation was bridging all that obsolescence in 1 move, increasing every spec imaginable by a huge amount.

Those days are gone so my disappointment will probably remain.

I am ok with the specs for the next consoles realistically. I know there is no way to make a 32TF console with 128GB of ram which would be what I would consider a true real generational upgrade. If the xsx comes for <$600 and the PS5 comes for <$500, I will realistically be quite impressed with the specs given what they have to work with.

MS/Sony are giving us the best hardware for their target price. They are not doing Apple style markups. We're getting BOM costs, possibly less. Almost no other electronics can offer that.
People are free to be disappointed but the disappointment is in unrealistic expectations and physics, not MS/Sony.

Honestly, I am mostly disappointed in the slowing progress of hardware these days, not the consoles themselves. I know realistically, the consoles can't be <$500 and launch next year and be the powerhouses that old generation upgrades used to bring. Used to be your gaming PC was obsolete in 2 years and a 6 year console generation was bridging all that obsolescence in 1 move, increasing every spec imaginable by a huge amount.

Those days are gone so my disappointment will probably remain.

I am ok with the specs for the next consoles realistically. I know there is no way to make a 32TF console with 128GB of ram which would be what I would consider a true real generational upgrade. If the xsx comes for <$600 and the PS5 comes for <$500, I will realistically be quite impressed with the specs given what they have to work with.

There is no way to make a 32TF and 128GB PC. I mean you can but it'll not have any advantage over a 16TF and 32GB PC.

Nope. For me consoles are the most convenient way to game - the best thing about this generation is being able to suspend/resume games when you want so hearing that nextgen will double down on immediacy with technology to reduce load times is music to my ears. :yes:

Aren't devs saying it might be the biggest générational jump ever with these new consoles ?

That seems highly hyperbolic. I don't think anything beats the generational jump from 2D to 3D. 3D actually opened up new ways to play games and news ways to present games. While RT is potentially quite exciting and could revolutionize lighting, it brings nothing new to the table other than graphics. Likewise I don't foresee faster loading leading to new types of gameplay that aren't possible already.

Hell, I'm not sure it represents even as large of a generational leap as going from flat/gourard shaded polygons to textured polygons in 3D games (not sure if consoles went through this transition, but PC games did back in the early 90's).

Regards,
SB

Back