Movie Reviews 2.0

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Typical Quentin Tarantino movie of 161 minutes, extremely lengthy setup for a bit of a payoff at the very end.

Still have to watch this. I think it's a little unfair to characterize the man's body of work like that, though. Sure, most of them, and the newer ones in particular, are awfully long. That said, there's plenty of payoff in Kill Bill, or Pulp Fiction, or Django Unchained and Inglorious Basterds. Neither of them really felt their length. He completely lost me on the Hateful 8, though. Now that is a film I'd consider self-indulgend to the nth degree. The man could definitely use an editor with an iron fist.
All things considered I'm just really glad the man exists. Besides him and Scorsese, is there anyone left in Hollywood making these big-ass event movies that don't stink of corporatism? I say god bless 'em.

Last edited:
Ad Astra 3/10. Basically zero redeeming value in this movie whatsoever. The whole thing is just constructed very poorly with terrible acting, seemingly trying to pass itself off as a emotional and visual experience in space, hints at an attempt to be hard sci-fi but fails at every turn, with some very basic message that falls flat. I really don't know what they were trying to do with this movie.

Colossus: The Forbin Project (1970).
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064177/

It's a film about conscious supercomputers that is, IMO, better than most of the similarly themed films that appeared later.
It was fascinating how the film showed the police state as quickly ready, willing, and able, to start following orders from Colossus. I really appreciated the effort that was made to give a solid slightly futuristic look to a lot of situations. Kubrick did that in the earlier Seven Days in May. Lol, if I was an AI that established dominion I'd insist on those teletypes being installed everywhere I was sending instructions. When they turn on, people pay attention!

Contact. Wow, such a good movie... BUT I didn't like the final message. It's like the main character had to learn that sometimes you have just to BUHLIEVE (highlighted with sparkling stars and many colours). Come on! They can't possibly compare believing in the words of a scientists that used a fucking real machine made out of fucking alien technology with believing the paranoia/tales of religion!

Yeah the ending completely ruined the movie for me.

So nobody else has seen The Rise of Skywalker yet? I guess the current low hype value of a new SW film speaks volumes of where the franchise has been heading with the new owner.

The film itself? Uh... Maybe I'll just sum it up with:
I have foreseen it.

I didn't hate it.
Considering how bad the start was for this trilogy, it ended in an adequate fashion. They could have named it "Episode IX: The Damage Control".

They should erase all Star wars movies and stories except the original trilogy and start from there. The problem of all those prequels and sequels is that they are almost all of them retakes of the original story plagued with annoying, useless and usually forced fan service.

I haven't watched the last one though.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Typical Quentin Tarantino movie of 161 minutes, extremely lengthy setup for a bit of a payoff at the very end.

Couldn't have put it better myself. I didn't find any of the characters interesting so the time it took to reach the payoff was two hours of uninteresting story about characters I didn't care about.

Zombieland was a film that didn't need a sequel yet the sequel is pretty decent. If you liked the first one, you're almost guaranteed to like the sequel. It's nice if the same but without repetition. :yes:

Hard to know what to make of a movie that was trying to complete a story that started over 40 years ago. The flaw of the entire saga is that it was never an entire definied saga to begin with, so you have everyone doing their own story for the last 3 films, and each one then trying to follow on from the last, when the last person wasn't really giving too much thought to the next film.

Anyhow, It was enjoyable, tried it's best to tie up some loose ends, but in doing so left some other significant ends that will forever remain loose. Some nice action, and some cliche bits.

I think part of my experience was ruined by seeing it on a MaXX screen, my local franchaise version of iMax. I felt the screen was too big/ sitting too close, such that when reading the opening scroll, it required head movement. And I assume that as it's just original content on a bigger screen, definition suffered. Thought I'd give it a go as it was my first time, but not a good decision.

I thould RoS was pretty enjoyable, but the more you think about it the more stupid and cheap it feels.

These are somewhat my thoughts as well. I could be entertained by it the same way I'm entertained watching a Fast and the Furious movie. I give this 3/5.

I do think the movie was quite a mess though and in the end the whole trilogy as well. I'd say Ray and Kylo were the only substantial characters in these 3 films, all the others were forgettable fillers. Patched in Leia scenes were embarrassing. The storyline from 7-9 was very incoherent. This last one is so filled with inconsistencies and stupid choices that they are too many to be mentioned, but it did have some cool visuals and action scenes and few good scenes in general, that I could enjoy it. I think the stand alone films were better than the numbered, even Solo was pretty good imo and Rogue One actually being great.

Last edited:
The last (ever?) Star Wars film was OK-ish, I suppose. Heck of a lot better than the previous one, though that was so stupid in so many ways that doing worse would be difficult. It pretty much ignored most of the stuff in the previous two films.

Ultimately, as I've moaned in the past, there was a whole post-Return of the Jedi world created through dozens of books, many of which were pretty good, which would have provided a good backdrop for all sorts of stories. The chosen route of discarding that to instead create a load of poorly conceived and incoherent 'stuff' with such weak storylines was frustrating. Don't think I'll be subscribing to the Disney channel in any case, but I don't have any confidence that the Mandalorian will be any different.

Don't think I'll be subscribing to the Disney channel in any case, but I don't have any confidence that the Mandalorian will be any different.
From what I've read, The Mandalorian is the only half decent thing Disney has created from the Star War IP yet.

From what I've read, The Mandalorian is the only half decent thing Disney has created from the Star War IP yet.

Some also like the Clone Wars animated series.

If you're talking about live-action content, then I'd have to say The Mandalorian is the best Star Wars product that Disney has produced yet. The beginning part of the last episode of season 1 was absolutely perfect!

Back