How to make game

Hi everyone. As far as I remember, I always wanted to dive in game development world but I never knew how to. I had some programming in school but unrelated to game development, and I used Game Maker but it was quite weird tool with its own rules and quite limited as well.

I would love to make role playing game and most preferably make it 3D. Do you guys know what programming language should I choose? I know the very basics of coding like if statements, functions, parameters, arguments, loops but nothing related to making games. Cheers!

Oddly enough, I just saw this on twitter...

EM38H4XXUAEAYmv.jpg

EM38IOiW4AUR1-b.jpg

I think graphics are a solved problem, but if you want to make certain game mechanics you might have to program a lot.

I would love to make role playing game and most preferably make it 3D. Do you guys know what programming language should I choose? I know the very basics of coding like if statements, functions, parameters, arguments, loops but nothing related to making games. Cheers!

You'll probably want to start with Unity3D and C#. I believe there are some good tutorials (some with video) on the internet about how to make a simple RPG with Unity3D.

Unity is great choice. It can make 3D games so just like you specified. Don't make the mistake of going with Unreal. It requires fast computer and blueprints just distract you from learning coding. Also it supports C++ while Unity supports C# and the latter is much easier while not being slower. I have few tutorials in favorites, this is good one if you want to make a RPG: creating role playing game tutorial you can also check youtube for tutorials. I wanted to make my own game long ago but I am too easily distracted

I think the nice thing about the Unity and I guess Unreal stores is that if there is something you can't program, in theory you could find that effect/animation on the store front for some money and be able to just dump it into the game with a little bit of work to get it to work the way you want it to.

I think the nice thing about the Unity and I guess Unreal stores is that if there is something you can't program, in theory you could find that effect/animation on the store front for some money and be able to just dump it into the game with a little bit of work to get it to work the way you want it to.

Just don't be like me.

Bought a complete set of "ready to release and edit project", then able to run the thing, then ultimately stuck editing the thing due to bugs, and got stressed out, then move on to something else.

Dunno how it is nowadays but when I used unity a few years ago, and a few months ago (to make beat saber FBT avatar) it was buggy.

Usually the bugs are pretty benign. You just need to relaunch unity and do the thing you did again, and it will work.

But if you keep getting that kind of bugs it gets annoying fast.

Also it supports C++ while Unity supports C# and the latter is much easier while not being slower.

Maybe if you do your own memory management and use Unity's extensions. However, if you do that, it will be more complex and difficult than using modern C++.

Back