Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
PC SSD and mostly PC software aren't optimized for SSD. Sony decided to create an optimized NAND flash for gaming. And they use a software stack wit han ARM CPU, ASIC decompressor and a custom controller for improve read speed and have a guaranteed latency as low as possible.

This. We know little about Sony's solid state storage or if the hardware will be any faster than what the nextgen Xbox consoles have. But the patents hint at a bespoke approach and this can't just be thrown together at the last minute.

Look at PS3/360 install/load times versus PS4/XBO. Sony redid their entire packaging pipeline to optimise for faster playtime after partial install/downloads. Software can make a huge different even if the fundamental hardware is no different. As somebody with crappy internet who still buys about half my games on disc, knowing I can delete them and re-install, it still shocks me how quickly I can play PS4 games while they're installing from disc.

"Immediacy" was a word often during PS4's reveal event and it's the same key people delivering PS5, not to mention it was this tech and not the GPU they chose to big up to Wired, so it makes sense they've focussed on this again.

This. We know little about Sony's solid state storage or if the hardware will be any faster than what the nextgen Xbox consoles have. But the patents hint at a bespoke approach and this can't just be thrown together at the last minute.

I see. I was just thinking MS could of course customize their SSD too and match Sony's customization. It seems that time is of the essence and may be too late for MS.

But as you probably have guessed, I was kinda low-key insinuating my ReRAM agenda. :LOL: I'm not giving up on that one until February the reveal.

Yup. In fact, I've got some exclusive footage of an XSX as it idles in standby:

tenor.gif

I can feel the bass in this gif.

Interestingly the supposed heavily customized ssd would consist of saving money be removing the expensive controller.

indeed. I would guess an FPGA is involved to flash firmware upgrades. I wouldn’t expect them to get all the nuances of SSD firmware right the first time. There were a lot of growing pains on Windows the first several years.

I see. I was just thinking MS could of course customize their SSD too and match Sony's customization. It seems that time is of the essence and may be too late for MS.

But as you probably have guessed, I was kinda low-key insinuating my ReRAM agenda. :LOL: I'm not giving up on that one until February the reveal.

Mark Cerny told they begin to work on PS5 four years ago, it seems one of the first things was to work on the SSD. The patent comes from 2015 and 2016.

Interestingly the supposed heavily customized ssd would consist of saving money be removing the expensive controller.

It could help take out some NVMe controller feature not needed in a console.

These quotes are pretty vague but might indicate something more than just plopping an SSD in the box(?):

Jason Ronald said:
"So we've invested in MVME SSDs and we're also giving developers a lot of new capabilities on top of that to try to virtually eliminate load times." "...I shouldn't have to [have] this loading experience [that takes] me out of the immersion, and that's all possible with some of the investments we've made on the I/O side."

Quotes are from here: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-wants-xbox-series-x-to-virtually-elimina/1100-6472330/

The high tier 60GB PS3 was introduced at $599, but you can't imagine any universe where the PS5 costs $599 14 years later, which actually means a much lower financial effort if you adjust for inflation?

do you think I or Sony are idiots? I’m fully aware of the PS3 price as well as the fact it cost over 800 to make. So I’ll ask again, do you think Sony are idiots and will repeat that car crash?

I’m so confident I’ll take a ban bet PS5 isn’t going to be 599 (unless it’s a 2 their launch).

They have a patent about it and believe me or not from rumors it is fast.

Ok sounds promising, guess if Sony's SSD is faster, it will mostly be exclusives taking advantage of that extra speed, since cross platform games need to work on MS's console xbox too. Nice to see manufacturers inventing new and faster tech.

Ok sounds promising, guess if Sony's SSD is faster, it will mostly be exclusives taking advantage of that extra speed, since cross platform games need to work on MS's console xbox too. Nice to see manufacturers inventing new and faster tech.

At the beginning of the gen I expect third party to use fast HDD PC as requirement and going from 2022 ask as minimum requirement a SATA SSD. I think the first to break the rules will be Rockstar with GTA 6 with a minimum requirement a NVMe SSD.

At the beginning of the gen I expect third party to use fast HDD PC as requirement and going from 2022 ask as minimum requirement a SATA SSD. I think the first to break the rules will be Rockstar with GTA 6 with a minimum requirement a NVMe SSD.

Agreed. It won't be that much of a difference for cross-platform games that include PC target as the games will be hamstrung by those systems. and not by XBox console.

It seems PS5 SSD is faster than current PC SSD. It was in Xbox podcast chatroom last week in a Xbox Podcast.

20191210.jpg

He has seen Prospero devkit since he works at Activision Blizzard. Maybe the SSD is faster than current PC SSD.

Last edited:
That could be thanks to PCIE3 also..... Just like people will need to upgrade to a faster more powerfull GPU, ram, and also storage.

It seems PS5 SSD is faster than current PC SSD. It was in Xbox podcast chatroom last week in a Xbox Podcast.

20191210.jpg

He has seen Prospero devkit since he works at Activision Blizzard. Maybe the SSD is faster than current PC SSD.

Without context it reads to me like he is talking about the Xbox in the first sentence? Is that correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back