Building a new pc : ryzen 5 2600, gtx 1660 super, 2x8GB ddr4 3200mhz cl16

orangpelupa

Elite Bug Hunter
Legend
With PSU, motherboard, case.. Totaling ~350 USD

I hope I won't get any defective products as returns are quite annoying in Indonesia.

Will assemble it in a week or two when I'm home.

Anyway, now I just realized that I forgot to budget for Windows 10 license ~/[°_°]/

Should have posted this here before I bough them....

I also read somewhere that DDR4 RAM could have compatibility issues with motherboard, making it run in lower mhz (albeit on the other hand you'll be able to lower the CL)

Ugh..
Hopefully I won't get hit by any bugs or edge cases as I'm buying an old cpu with an old chipset (b450)

I also read somewhere that DDR4 RAM could have compatibility issues with motherboard, making it run in lower mhz (albeit on the other hand you'll be able to lower the CL)
Ideally you need to buy RAM that is on the motherboard's memory QVL.

Ideally you need to buy RAM that is on the motherboard's memory QVL.

That's the thing, I can't find memory compatibility list / table on the motherboard website.

It only lists generic stuff like DDR4 MEMORY
1866/ 2133/ 2400/ 2667Mhz (by JEDEC)
For AMD Ryzen Gen3 (R5/R7/R9)
2667/2800/2933/3000/3066/3200/3466/3733/3866 by A-XMP OC mode
For AMD Other CPU
2667/2800/2933/3000/3066/3200/3466 by A-XMP OC mode

I also read somewhere that DDR4 RAM could have compatibility issues with motherboard, making it run in lower mhz (albeit on the other hand you'll be able to lower the CL
In addition to what @Malo said check the official motherboard forums to see if anyone with a similar MB tried updating the RAM. I noticed success was split for people trying to update to the latest DDR4 RAM with my X99 motherboard.

That's the thing, I can't find memory compatibility list / table on the motherboard website.
What's the motherboard make and model?

Also for Windows 10, if you have a legitimate Windows 7 key you're not using you should be able to use that.

With PSU, motherboard, case.. Totaling ~350 USD

I hope I won't get any defective products as returns are quite annoying in Indonesia.

Will assemble it in a week or two when I'm home.

Anyway, now I just realized that I forgot to budget for Windows 10 license ~/[°_°]/

Should have posted this here before I bough them....

Ugh..
Hopefully I won't get hit by any bugs or edge cases as I'm buying an old cpu with an old chipset (b450)

You should not have issues with the Ryzen 2600 or using a B450 motherboard. Just be sure to use the latest BIOS for the motherboard.

I am retiring my original HTPC from 2011 that used an Intel Q9300 processor on a 775 motherboard.

Over the Black Friday/Cyber Monday weekend I was able to procure an AMD Ryzen 2700X / ASRock B450M Pro4 combo deal for $194 USD including taxes at my local Microcenter.

The motherboard (https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450M Pro4) came with the latest BIOS version 3.60. As for RAM I purchased Team T-Force Vulcan Z 8GB (2x 4GB) DDR4-3200 (TLRED48G3200HC16CDC01) for $40 USD when it was on a fire sale last July.

The RAM and Processor worked flawlessly in the B450 motherboard out of the box. Even enabling the XMP mode and running the memory at 3200 MHz had no issues. I then tweaked the memory settings using the "DRAM Calculator for Ryzen" (https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-dram-calculator) and got it to run at CL14 settings again flawlessly. So even if the RAM is not on the OVL list doesn't exclude it from working.

It is best to use Memtest86 for testing memory stability especially if it is tweaked: https://www.memtest86.com

Windows 10 was free because I used the code from an old Windows 7 COA sticker.

Case was no cost because it came from a previous HTPC build.

Power supply is a Raidmax 735 watt for $35 after rebate

Video card is an old Maxwell GTX 750 for HTPC use. Again from the original HTPC.

Total cost for upgrading my HTPC is $194+$40+$35 = $269.

Since I edit out commercials and transcode using the CPU (best details) I needed an 8-core modern processor and the AMD Ryzen 2700X (http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Zen/AMD-Ryzen 7 2700X.html) fit the bill nicely.

Since the HTPC is on 24/7 I will also be mining Monero (XMR) using XMRig (https://github.com/xmrig/xmrig/releases/tag/v5.2.0) to help defer the cost further. The extra heat in the living room in winter is also a bonus.

Last edited:
I have heard there could be some problems with new ryzens with older bios's
you could end up with a board that wont boot unless flashed to a newer bios
and you cant flash it unless you put an older ryzen in it, can anyone elaborate ?

I have heard there could be some problems with new ryzens with older bios's
you could end up with a board that wont boot unless flashed to a newer bios
and you cant flash it unless you put an older ryzen in it, can anyone elaborate ?
It was always like that with the Ryzen versions. Sometimes there is old stock of motherboards without the updated BIOS. Microcenter, for example, would flash it for you if you purchased it from them. AMD also provide a service where they send you a temporary CPU free of charge to update the BIOS, then send it back to them.

Not ideal but at least you dont have to buy another cpu
(but its still worrying that they wont even boot to flash the bios, my old s775 board didnt recognise my q6600 but it could boot it and flash it)

ps: to save creating another thread I'll use this for some general
ryzen questions.
whats the X for in the name eg: 3600x
any real disadvantages in going for a gen 2 (or even gen 1) ryzen over a gen 3 ?

whats the difference between the b450 chipset and the x570 ?
edit:
found a page that explains chipsets incase anyone else wants to know
https://www.amd.com/en/products/chipsets-am4

Last edited:
whats the X for in the name eg: 3600x
Higher clock potential, better binned versions.
any real disadvantages in going for a gen 2 (or even gen 1) ryzen over a gen 3 ?
Technically, there is no gen 3 yet. The 3xxx series is gen 2 Ryzen, whereas the 2xxx series is a refined gen 1 Ryzen.

Ryzen 2 (3xxx series) is based on 7nm and has better base and boost clocks, and better power characteristics. Lots of articles out there going over all these things in detail.

seems good although only 4 sata ports would be a problem for me
ps: anyone noticed a lot of new mid atx cases are coming with very limited 3.5 (sometimes only 2) drive bays
and no 5.25 drive bays

Oh shit!

After reading jonnyguru, it seems the PSU I bough, seasonic S12II Evo is an overpriced piece of shit.

I should bough cooler Master MWE that's around 10-20 dollars cheaper for similar shitty quality.

Or get be quiet system power 8 for 10 dollars less for similar crappy quality but with quieter fan.

Holy shit. Buying power supply is a nightmare because you can't simply compare specs and trust brands.

80 gold? It could be the same as 80 bronze.

Overcurrent protection? A power supply could have one but it will be designed to be practically useless other than for marketing purpose.

Claiming to have super stable voltages with tiiiiny variance? Yes it may do have those but only in the 1st part and not the 2nd part (whatever that even means, jonnyguru reviews have tons of new words and understandings)

Bloody hell

BTW from what I read and googling around the manufacturer website... I think the easiest way to find a good quality PSU is by looking at its warranty.

All of these shitty PSU have 3yrs warranty. While "good" PSU have 5yrs warranty.

So a good brand like seasonic sells shitty PSU (3yrs warranty) and good PSU (5yrs warranty)

Edit: I don't mean shitty PSU = computer will blow up....

But Indonesia have pretty bad electricity quality (noise, voltage) and I loooove to keep using the same stuff for as long as it lasts.

Last edited:
So a good brand like seasonic sells shitty PSU (3yrs warranty) and good PSU (5yrs warranty)
Yes, they sell cheaper PSUs as well to reach the cheaper market? My Seasonic has a 7 year warranty.

I loooove to keep using the same stuff for as long as it lasts.
Same here, my last PSU was 10 years old when it died, a nice Enermax. That's why I went for the more high end PSU.

Yes, they sell cheaper PSUs as well to reach the cheaper market? My Seasonic has a 7 year warranty.

Same here, my last PSU was 10 years old when it died, a nice Enermax. That's why I went for the more high end PSU.

My old FSP PSU last for 4 years 11 month, then it dies, and they replaced it with a new one for free due to 5 years warranty haha.

anyway, the annoying thing they did (seasonic, etc) with their cheap PSU is really confusing. Those cheap PSU also got the 80 gold label, also got OVP, OVC, etc in their spec.

The only thing that's different is the warranty. Cheap stuff = 3 yrs, good stuff = 5yrs, awesome stuff (like yours)= 5yrs+.

i wish i has noticed that and instead of buying shitty seasonic, i would add 10-20 dollars more and get good (5yrs warranty) PSU or save 10-20 dollars and get other similarly crappy PSU from other brand

Back