Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both systems are using Navi. Navi is manufactured on a 7nm node. AMD roadmap specifically states Next-Gen is 7nm+... which neither next-generation system are based upon.

As N7/N7P/N7+/N6 are allegedly compatible AMD's roadmap for GPU releases are imho meaningless for a custom design.

I think he or Jason Schreier also stated, half the ram as well. So maybe 8GB-12GB of GDDR6 for Lockhart.

In the Kotaku podcast the Lockhart GPU was alikened to PS4 Pro in (flat teraflops), accepting Lockhart's GPU will be more modern, have a better CPU and solid state storage - so overall considerably more powerful than PS4 Pro.

In the Kotaku podcast the Lockhart GPU was alikened to PS4 Pro in (flat teraflops), accepting Lockhart's GPU will be more modern, have a better CPU and solid state storage - so overall considerably more powerful than PS4 Pro.

What adds to the confusion of Lockhart reportly being at PS4pro level is that they both target the same resolution... 1440p. :devilish:

I am not buying that 12TF rumor just yet. Aiming for? Maybe. Achievable? Doubt it very, very much.

Albert Panello dropped interesting tidbit yesterday on how will PR explain TF number no longer being as relevant, duo to big difference in perf per TF of GCN cards vs Navi.

Basically, if you have 10TF Navi, will you say "Its 10TF console" or will you say "Its 13TF console", because you are comparing it to last gen showing? If thats the case, perhaps MS and Sony target specs where simply made with performance thinking in mind. Telling developers what to shoot for 2 years before consoles are released. In this case, developers would probably be looking at ~2080 performances, without 13TF actually being true.

Target GPU performance - 13TF (back in 2018). Achievable in 2020 with Navi ~ 9-10TF? Because hard limits of TDP/die size are there, and I just don't understand how can they reach 10TF, let alone 12TF. I think there is also a reason why they mentioned CPU, SSD etc. without mentioning GPU advancements as much, and that is because actual numbers are in 8-10TF range.

If they where at 12-13TF level they would be screaming from the rooftops as that level of performances, with additions such as RT and VRS is approaching 2080TI numbers.

*This is all assuming they go with 7nm (which seems increasing likely to be the case)

Klee did mention both are double digit RDNA Tflops so if assuming that's true then we're looking at something at least 7nm+ on a big Navi Chip. If PS5 really is 12.9TF as Tom Warren rumored it during E3 then it'll probably kill a 2080 with ease :LOL:
That said I am prepared for the worst if PS5 only lands at 10.xx TF, first party games on that machine would still look amazing.

Jason Schrier mentioned in a podcast that both will be above RTX2080.

It looks like consoles will be the same. Similarly like in last round, only this time without MS making a "build order loss".

I'm just saying the final hardware could be different, so if it's not exactly 13 TF don't be surprised, could be more. Or could be 13TF of pre-Navi. Or could be 13TF of Navi.

In H1 2019 the best possible AMD dGPU that could go on a PC-based devkit would have been a Radeon VII with the clocks set at 1.7GHz, providing exactly 13.056 TFLOPs.
1.7GHz is probably the best a Radeon VII can sustain, once the boost functionality is disabled for devs to design around a predictible performance target.

A 40CU Navi 5700 XT that clocks around 2GHz does 10.1 TFLOPs and performs just 8% lower than a Radeon VII at 4K (maybe mostly due to memory bandwidth at that resolution).
So a 13 TFLOPs Vega on a devkit to a PS5 that eventually gets a >11 TFLOPs Navi GPU might actually be conservative in the end.

lockhart > 6TF confirmed
Or a <5 TFLOPs Navi (RX5500) performs close to a 6 TFLOPs Polaris (RX580) at 1080p-1440p, and the massive difference in CPU performance between 8-core Zen2 and Jaguar puts Lockhart head and shoulders above Scorpio.

Expect atleast 2080Ti performance, and then some. Below 14TF seems conservatite, we should think more towards the 20TF range to be realistic. AMD's current top 5700XT will look like nothing compared to what will be in there, with the addition of Ray Tracing that bests what RTX offers now, and future.
Also, 7nm+ means we could see Zen 3, which enables higher clocks in the range of 3.8ghz, possibly 4ghz or higher boost clocks. HBM isn't out of the picture either yet for the PS5, it will enable atleast 1TB/s speeds. About 32GB of that is to be expected to accompany the fast SSD solution.

Expect atleast 2080Ti performance, and then some. Below 14TF seems conservatite, we should think more towards the 20TF range to be realistic. AMD's current top 5700XT will look like nothing compared to what will be in there, with the addition of Ray Tracing that bests what RTX offers now, and future.
Also, 7nm+ means we could see Zen 3, which enables higher clocks in the range of 3.8ghz, possibly 4ghz or higher boost clocks. HBM isn't out of the picture either yet for the PS5, it will enable atleast 1TB/s speeds. About 32GB of that is to be expected to accompany the fast SSD solution.

And all that for just $399!!!!

Klee did mention both are double digit RDNA Tflops so if assuming that's true then we're looking at something at least 7nm+ on a big Navi Chip. If PS5 really is 12.9TF as Tom Warren rumored it during E3 then it'll probably kill a 2080 with ease :LOL:
That said I am prepared for the worst if PS5 only lands at 10.xx TF, first party games on that machine would still look amazing.
I mean, whats the worst that can happen if one console is 12TF and other is 10TF? In this case, I assume PS5 would be cheaper then Anaconda and yet difference for 99% of folks would be absolutely minimal. Imagine one game running at 4K on Anaconda, the other at ~10% less resolution or 2-3 settings lowered. Indistinguishable for most people, and much smaller difference then 1.8TF vs 1.3TF, even though there are 2TF between the two.

OK let's break it down a bit using insiders Klee, Matt and Jason as basis. Klee said both XB2 and PS5 are above Stadia (10.7 TF) in raw teraflops at the time before this new leak that contains updated hardware. So the older XB2 and PS5 devkits would be at least north of 11 TF and in RDNA flops with PS5 slightly faster in the realm of 10% so ~12 TF. Now with the new XB2 devkit it would seem they have either reached or getting close to 12 TF thus matching PS5 devkit more or less.
Matt later added even with the improved XB2 devkit the difference in power is still negligible so maybe they're just much closer than ever before now. Jason pretty much shot down that pastebin post of a 10.24 TF PS5. If they're all to be believed nextgen consoles are at the cusp of becoming 12 TF monsters that would eat 2080 for breakfast.

I mean, whats the worst that can happen if one console is 12TF and other is 10TF? In this case, I assume PS5 would be cheaper then Anaconda and yet difference for 99% of folks would be absolutely minimal. Imagine one game running at 4K on Anaconda, the other at ~10% less resolution or 2-3 settings lowered. Indistinguishable for most people, and much smaller difference then 1.8TF vs 1.3TF, even though there are 2TF between the two.
Yeah and that's just the case for multiplatform, we still don't know how big of a graphics hindrance Lockhart would bring to Anaconda for their first party titles, that's probably an area where PS5 could overtake the lead when nothing is holding it back.

Also Osiris strikes again!
If you all really believe that the FF2400 is More powerful than 0000FF just give it a minute. They are BOTH > 10 with 0000FF having a slight advantage. Neither machine is sitting at 10TF. Lets see when others start talking about the Ray Tracing differences and what 0000FF has planned for extra storage. I'll go back and read everything back to page 299. Diana is not burned so I will be around. Also Phil does not have a dev kit. I'm going to ask if I can be very specific and I will post either way. Everything's about to drop the damn has been bombarded by Thanos.
Floodgate opening any day now.

Last edited:

Come to mama you PS5 Pro Ultimate Elite:yes:

Microsoft has already confirmed that Project Scarlett will replace Xbox One S as the hardware for XCloud. I'm kinda wondering now if that is why we are really seeing Lockhart. A cheaper chip that will run next gen games at 1080p while being more energy efficient seems like it would be more suited to Microsoft vision of cloud gaming ( low bandwidth that's primarily targeted towards mobile devices). Using Anaconda is probably overkill for what they want in those data centers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back