Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
PlayStation devkits are not traditionally more capable than the release hardware in terms of processing power.

I'm just saying the final hardware could be different, so if it's not exactly 13 TF don't be surprised, could be more. Or could be 13TF of pre-Navi. Or could be 13TF of Navi.

That's a tweeted, labeled as rumor though, not on the same level as the current article. It's also quite old (June 8).

His current article doesn't make any claims about the PS5's power. I was just pointing out that he himself is one of the sources for the 13TF PS5 rumor.

So not quite there yet. Anything over 11TF for a console is quite impressive though.
I try to check three different rumors simultaneously :

1. PS5 devkits GPU runs at 2GHz.

2. PS5 is less than 10% powerful than xbox (at least before the 12TF spec).

3. PS5 APU is 300mm2 while xbox is 350mm2

If PS5 has 7nm APU, 300mm2 would have active 44CUs. From no. 1 PS5 GPU at 2GHz will be 11.26 TF.
The 11.26 TF is around 10% more powerful then xbox devkits.is < 10.5TF.

So how could xb push GPU to 12TF? Unless xb has more CUs or push 44CUs to 2.1 GHz (11.83TF).

But there are some questions? Why xbox has a larger APU? Do they put more CUs or they put
some other processors?

Of course this assumption is based on 7nm process. If PS5 is using 7nm+ then the APU may
actually contain 56 CUs, and 1.8 GHz GPU will reach 12.9 TF, which is also in line with rumor no.2.

I try to check three different rumors simultaneously :

1. PS5 devkits GPU runs at 2GHz.

2. PS5 is less than 10% powerful than xbox (at least before the 12TF spec).

3. PS5 APU is 300mm2 while xbox is 350mm2

If PS5 has 7nm APU, 300mm2 would have active 44CUs. From no. 1 PS5 GPU 2GHz GPU will be 11.26 TF.
If 11.26 TF is around 10% more powerful then xbox devkits.is < 10.5TF.

So how does xb push GPU to 12TF? Unless xb has more CUs or Push 44CUs to 2.1 GHz (11.83TF).

But there are some questions? Why xbox has a larger APU? Do they put more CUs or the put
some other processors?

Of course this assumption is based on 7nm process. If PS5 is using 7nm+ then the APU may
actually contain 56 CUs, and 1.8 GHz GPU will reach 12.9 TF, which is also in line with rumor no.2.

Both systems are using Navi. Navi is manufactured on a 7nm node. AMD roadmap specifically states Next-Gen is 7nm+... which neither next-generation system are based upon.
AMD-VEGA-NAVI-roadmap.jpg

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...h-thread-ot7-nm.148625/page-323#post-27213413

Jason Schreier told PS5 is more than 10.24 and more in raw Tflops than Stadia probably around 11 Tflops or a little more

Told y'all both Sony and MS were aiming to beat Stadia's number. Anyway, I'm no engineer, but my understanding from talking to people who are is that the CPU speed and the streaming capabilities of the high-end SSDs on both PS5 and XB2 will make wayyy more of a difference than teraflops, which seem more like console war bait than an actual measure of what video games will look like on these things. Games already look ridiculous enough; my hope (one that I imagine is shared with most reasonable gamers) is that the next generation of consoles is more focused on accessibility, 60+fps, and function rather than graphical fidelity.

Nothing about today's reports prove PS5 isn't more powerful than Anaconda.

As a PC guy, I already have a hard time believing that these next-generation systems are eclipsing 10.5TF in a 200w package, let alone 12TF. Unless wattage/TDP are no longer a concern for Sony and Microsoft.

As a PC guy, I already have a hard time believing that these next-generation systems are eclipsing 10.5TF in a 200w package, let alone 12TF. Unless wattage/TDP are no longer a concern for Sony and Microsoft.

It makes some sense if we think Anaconda is "beast" and Lockhart is err, low price SKU? This dual market strategy just makes more sense with a beastly top end SKU. I'm thinking their market research clearly defines two market's as "guy (or girl) who wants the very best" (Anaconda) and "guy who just wants to play games (casual)" (Lockhart) or something. I dont know if I agree with this play, but I suspect it could be how they're thinking with these.

It's sort of like if MS just came out of the gate with the One X, then launched the vanilla box later. I personally have questions if this is a good strategy.

But my thing that I posted on ERA is, I'm wondering is an soc even possible with this kind of size? It's not even just the 12TF, but also the large Zen2 cores as well?

Fair enough, but that doesn't tell us anything about one being more powerful than another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back