The Epic Games store for PC and Mac [2018-12]

That's the end result but don't assume it's intended. Has Epic ever stated that their store would be DRM free? If it was intended and that's a feature of EGS then you can be assured Tim would have been singing its praises from the start.

They have always said it was up to developers/publishers to choose if they wanted DRM or not. Many games on the store are DRM free. Even if the case of Borderlands 3 is a mistake, 2K messing up their DRM implementation isn't a "security flaw" in the Epic Games Store.

Well, here's another F-U to Epic.

Why is there no way to limit how much bandwidth the launcher uses to download games for installation? I had to pause the download of Phoenix Point just now because it was saturating my connection to the point there I couldn't even load a page on this forum.

Seriously, WTF is wrong with them? Even when downloading stuff through a browser, the browser won't allow downloads to saturate your connection to the point where you can't do anything on that connection.

Epic has all these other launchers and storefronts they could have looked at to see what they could implement and just decided..."Ya know what? Let's just make the shittiest storefront and launcher that we can possibly make. Here, throw some money at developers to get users to use our store instead of making it something they'd actually want to use."

Phoenix Point had better be worth the hassle of using this POS.

Regards,
SB

I guess that's a good problem to have, as I could never get Steam to saturate my bandwidth even when I was only on 100mbit.

Steam will max out my 300mbit connection but I don't have any problems browsing at the same time.

Some real first world problems here.
Well that's a pretty important thing especially if other people are trying to use the internet. More support for my theory that the people who made this launcher don't actually play PC games. Either that or they never considered what would happen if you weren't on a 1000mbps connection.

I had to deal with this on an xbox when I was living with a few people. We couldn't download the new COD because there is apparently no way to throttle downloads on xbox and on a 20mbps connection nobody could realistically use the internet while it was downloading. This went on for days because I would leave the xbox on at night to download and someone would notice, think it was an accident and turn if off :(

Last edited:
I had to deal with this on an xbox when I was living with a few people. We couldn't download the new COD because there is apparently no way to throttle downloads on xbox and on a 20mbps connection nobody could realistically use the internet while it was downloading. This went on for days because I would leave the xbox on at night to download and someone would notice, think it was an accident and turn if off :(
People have routers without QoS? :runaway:

Playing has nothing to do with downloading and installing. So they could play games all day long and not realize the downloading impact.

QOS doesn't really work inbound. Once traffic hits the router it's already too late.
I assumed outbound requests weren't getting out. If your inbound if clogged it's your ISP's fault. Their servers should not be allowing one, or a narrow range, of source IPs to flooding your inbound capacity, this should never happen. :nope: Ports 80 and 8080 generally always have a high priority.

People have routers without QoS? :runaway:

In the case of the connection I use for this, there is no router for me. The connection is entirely managed by the ISP.

As I noted in another thread, my Comcast network connection (which I have a router for) pretty much caps my monthly 1 TB data cap just streaming video so it's not something I'd use for this.

Regards,
SB

In the case of the connection I use for this, there is no router for me.
Unless you're on a bridge mode from a modem connected directly to the public internet (which is a really bad idea), then you must have some kind of NAT router between you and the internet? Is it cellular or something?

I assumed outbound requests weren't getting out. If your inbound if clogged it's your ISP's fault. Their servers should not be allowing one, or a narrow range, of source IPs to flooding your inbound capacity, this should never happen. :nope: Ports 80 and 8080 generally always have a high priority.
Well then our ISP must have sucked because it was a huge problem. Also most web traffic is over https so not on port 80 these days.

Unless you're on a bridge mode from a modem connected directly to the public internet (which is a really bad idea), then you must have some kind of NAT router between you and the internet? Is it cellular or something?

It's an ISP managed wifi connection. So there's obviously some kind of router in place (I'm guessing), but it's nothing I can mess with.

Usually the connection is fine, but during busy hours (when people get home from work) my effective bandwidth will drop from the 30 Mbps I'm paying for down to around 10-15 Mbps. At that point if I do anything that saturates it (like downloads) then the whole thing can stall or go down to an effective bandwidth in the Kbps range. :p

Easy enough to work around with Steam (set a custom download speed) or downloads (using a download manager again setting a custom download speed) or even the rare torrent (again custom download speed).

As long as I take those precautions then everything is fine, even gaming.

EGS just fucks everything up. Even the MS store doesn't fuck the connection like EGS does when downloading data for games.

Regards,
SB

It's an ISP managed wifi connection. So there's obviously some kind of router in place (I'm guessing), but it's nothing I can mess with.

Usually the connection is fine, but during busy hours (when people get home from work) my effective bandwidth will drop from the 30 Mbps I'm paying for down to around 10-15 Mbps. At that point if I do anything that saturates it (like downloads) then the whole thing can stall or go down to an effective bandwidth in the Kbps range. :p

Easy enough to work around with Steam (set a custom download speed) or downloads (using a download manager again setting a custom download speed) or even the rare torrent (again custom download speed).

As long as I take those precautions then everything is fine, even gaming.

EGS just fucks everything up. Even the MS store doesn't fuck the connection like EGS does when downloading data for games.

Regards,
SB

Download netlimiter

Well then our ISP must have sucked because it was a huge problem. Also most web traffic is over https so not on port 80 these days.

There are probably a lot of crappy ISPs out there but this problem was solved back in the 1990s! That is an old paper, there are a whole bunch of new protocols that work to implement at the much higher bandwidths we now have available and which clevily deal with balancing latency-criticlal streaming protocols. The vast majority of people using the internet suffer traffic congestion and their ISP manages it so that none of the services completely stop.

Back