Movie Reviews 2.0

Finally got around to watching End Game. Thought it was alright but
the whole bringing everybody back to life thing was kind of lame IMO. Besides that I think it's cheap from a plot perspective, how would that even work? So it's been 5 years, one would assume production of food etc. has adjusted accordingly. Suddenly there are double the people again. No food, no homes etc. There would be near instant fight for resources which in turn would likely result in even lower production, causing even more shortages and thus more fighting.

Also watched the Apollo 11 documentary. Story wise nothing one wouldn't have seen/heard before but some really nice images. I think it's all original film that has been restored?

Well that is sort of explained in the last Spider-Man movie though, in a very funny way too. Also, they’re just movies.

I haven't watched the movie (superhero movies don't grab my attention anymore), but I understand that when you watch any kind of movie, you expect a certain degree of internal congruity.

For instance, I like horror movies, but most of them fall into the same mistakes: the main character sees something undeniably supernatural but thinks "oh, I must be tired and I must be imagining things" (yeah, because it's sooo normal to see creepy girls in nightgowns in your house just because you didn't sleep well ¬_¬). These things may break the internal realism of the movie. Of course, I expect fiction and unreal things in some movies, but that doesn't mean I can't complain of things that seem to beak the reality that movie tried to create, develop and convey.

And regarding superhero movies, I wonder what happened to me... Why don't I like them anymore? o_O Maybe when the same characters started featuring in more and more movies with new or alternate storylines and I got lost?

No but I am expecting some level of plausibility.

I can believe with enough time and money you can build something like iron man. I can believe a mutated spider bite can turn you into Spiderman. I can believe aliens and Gods exist. I can even buy into some magical stones existing.

But I cannot believe that what they did will result in anything other than a giant cluster fuck.
There would likely be trouble, but it would likely be very dependent on the location.
The most advanced economies would be heavily automated and have built-up inventories of things like housing (unlikely people would expend resources unprofitably to demolish everything just to fit extant needs), and production of goods and food is much less dependent on population the more intensively mechanized the agribusiness is.
On top of that, higher standard of living countries would by default have many products with long shelf-life and inventories of those that would likely be around in some amount as a buffer.

Some countries are exceptionally profligate in what they overproduce, store, and waste. A 2014 estimate for the US indicated its annual food waste per-capita alone would be enough to support a doubling of its population (dangerously close to starvation, but not accounting for reserves, ramped production, or the on-average excessive caloric intake that isn't wasted).
Countries with less mechanized agriculture, less built-up infrastructure and housing, and more labor-intensive economies would drop in productivity and feel the pinch more acutely.
Severe repercussions in many areas would seem plausible, but I think they could be survivable and in many places managed. It would be particularly more manageable with a corps of superheroes or advanced institutions and nations like SHIELD and Wakanda with avowed and demonstrated altruistic aims.

In absolute terms, even in the real world, I think those types of magical backstops might not be all that necessary. Given the capabilities of the mightiest economies and logistics networks in the history of the world, the most lacking resource is the heroism.

In terms of wastefulness, perhaps this is an area where even in Thanos' logic his plan was flawed. Given how disproportionate some populations are in their consumption and waste, an even distribution of removed individuals could still leave consumption past the point of whatever magical tipping point he imagined there was, depending on just how unsustainable the most consumptive societies are.

Ad Astra.

I shall misquote a famous phrase
The film is both good and original; but the part that is good is done better by 2001/Apocalypse Now/Gravity, and the part that is original is mostly fucking stupid.
:nope:

Last edited:
Oh, Joy
there is a new doom movie out - anyone seen it?

Quote from a user review
"This a groan-inducing train wreck of a movie that spits in the face of any Doom fan. The easter eggs were terrible. The lead actress was abysmal. The script and story were Sharknado worthy."

Last edited:
I've seen the first 10 to 15 minutes a few times but then fell asleep, I only tried watching it while in bed at the end of the night twice.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Typical Quentin Tarantino movie of 161 minutes, extremely lengthy setup for a bit of a payoff at the very end.

Aniara, one of the better films I've seen this year. A raw attempt at telling the stages we might take through such an ordeal. I would have liked to see some of the epochs expanded more and would have been fine even with another hour of exploration into those.

A rare sci-fi gem that isn't for the masses and really kept me engrossed.

Child's Play.

This is a weird one alright. They used to remake stuff that was old. At least 20-or-so-years. Then they started to remake stuff that was barely been out of theaters. Like Sony with its pathetic Amazing Spider-man. Now they remade a killer doll movie that's still getting sequels to this day. I think the last one was from 2017 or 2018 and the writer/director has no intention to quit as far as I know. I believe he's also the license holder of the "Chucky" brand, hence the new doll is just called "buddi".

Either way, the new film is so different they could've dropped the name entirely. The new doll isn't a possessed by the soul of a serial killer anymore. It's now a rogue, weirdly anachronistic looking smart-device. Seriously, in the age of minimalistic pop figures, no kid would wanna have a creepy looking puppet that still looks like the killer doll from the old films and talks like Mark Hamill. Realistically it would probably look more like the sleek Miley Cyrus doll from that one Black Mirror episode.
Still, the idea that the new doll is basically a smart device which can kill you using wifi-enabed household items is fun. As a matter of fact it's a really fun ride for the first 45 minutes at least. That's where the best and surprisingly grotesque kill happens. A kill which actually leads to some darkly funny moments later. Unfortunately it runs out of steam after that. The fact that the doll is now a pint-sized robot also rendered its hand-to-hand battle prowess a little bit prepsterous. I mean, how much direct harm can a puppet that's driven by a bunch of tiny electro motors really cause? For what it's worth: at least they did something very different with the franchise. Also, Aubrey Plaza as life-over single mom who cannot catch a break is just wonderful.

Also saw Brightburn. Don't remember much of it besides some fun kills, though. I was entertained, but overall t was a rather forgettable movie.

Battleship.
This one's old and a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine. It was fairly clear the director was given the order to make something that looks like Transformers, and so he did. There's one big difference though: director Peter Berg (of whom I'm a big fan. I love Boston, Lone Survivor and Deep Water Horizon) is a great admirer of "tough men who are doing tough jobs", and thus he tries to portray them as realistically and believable, even if it's for a silly movie in which aliens shred our infrastructure using oversized, bladed yoyos. In the Bayformers films, everyone acts like a screaming lunatic. Doesn't matter if it's a hormone driven teenager or the head of the CIA. And when everyone is an idiot, there's just noone to root for. Also great use of ACDC.

Last edited:
Godzilla King of Monsters.

It's certainly a more entertaining movie than the last one. Not at all shy about showing off these creatures. That said, when the last Godzilla movie was great it was really great. The way it was framed conveyed a sense of scale and awe the sequel never really manages to match, let alone outshine. There's nothing in here like the breathtaking halo jump from the last film. Or the scene where Godzilla swims alongside the naval fleet. The sequel is a way more fast-paced and rather traditional monster smackdown. For some reason the effects didn't look quite as convincing either. Might be down to the fact that the entirety of film looked, for lack of a better term, very garish and digital. Overall they're both decent movies, enjoyable for different reasons. A mix between the two would've been great. People were unhappy with the scarcity of the giant lizard in the last film, and the sequel remedied the issue, overshooting its target in the process.
No idea how this monster universe series is even called, but Kong Skull Island was easily the best entry of the three for me.

Yesterday I watched one of the worst movies ever: Metal Shifters (also known as Iron Invader). An extraterrestrial bacteria falls to the Earth with a defective Russian satellite. It "infects" metal by making it its host, so it can even move metallic parts. It eventually infects a metallic sculpture, which becomes a robot-like killing machine. It kills people by touch, draining the iron in their blood.

It wasn't my idea, to watch this movie and I even said that it was bad as fuck, just by looking at the title.

It was so, so bad and I laughed so hard at it! More than with some comedy movies, actually! :mrgreen::LOL::LOL:

Contact. Wow, such a good movie... BUT I didn't like the final message. It's like the main character had to learn that sometimes you have just to BUHLIEVE (highlighted with sparkling stars and many colours). Come on! They can't possibly compare believing in the words of a scientists that used a fucking real machine made out of fucking alien technology with believing the paranoia/tales of religion!

Yeah the whole bit where they didn't believe her was pretty annoying.
I forget if it was in the movie or just the book but the camera did record the length of time she said.

Back