Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this is the right place for it. But probably close enough. :)

With Black Friday and Cyber Monday quickly approaching if anyone notices a good deal on LG OLED TV's, could you post it here? Preferably for the US region for me, but other people around the world might appreciate a head's up for those regions as well. :)

Regards,
SB

Not sure if this is the right place for it. But probably close enough. :)

With Black Friday and Cyber Monday quickly approaching if anyone notices a good deal on LG OLED TV's, could you post it here? Preferably for the US region for me, but other people around the world might appreciate a head's up for those regions as well. :)

Regards,
SB
Good deals right now. C9 65” is $2400 CAD right now. Go check around local listings but it should be great pricing as of yesterday.

Good deals right now. C9 65” is $2400 CAD right now. Go check around local listings but it should be great pricing as of yesterday.

What's that in non-monopoly money? (Just kidding :D)

Yeah, the C9 65" is definitely not in the cards for me. I'm more looking at the 55" B9. This is after all going to be my PC main monitor experiment so I'll start towards the bottom. So far, the lowest I've seen it is around 1200 USD which is still a tad more than I want to spend.

Regards,
SB

Well, since I am staring into my monitor far more than the TV I bought the 8K Dell UP3218K. Got a great deal. Just calibrated it with my colorimeter and it looks amazing at 4k retina (MacOS). The 10-bit IPS panel aside the build quality is rather lacklustre for such an expensive monitor. It's just entirely made of plastic except the hefty monitor stand.

It covers more than the DCI-P3 D65 (the dotted outline) gamut (gamma 2.2 and 6500K) but falls short compared to BT.2020. Not bad for a 2017 monitor.
Gamut UP3218K CIE xy.png Gamut UP3218K BT2020.png
Screenshot 2019-11-23 at 00.31.08.png

I've been itching to upgrade since earlier this year, but I see some solid upgrades coming over the next year from a technology adoption front as well as tweaks on the display panel side. My current plan is to stick with the 54" 1080p Plasma set until Spring 2021 and then pick up a new 4K HDR TV and AVR. I figure Winter 2020 I'll pick up one or two next-gen consoles so they'll really want a new setup. But we'll see how long I can hold out.

There are such great BF deals on the 55" LG B9/C9/E9 OLEDs but I'm holding out for for teh 2020 LG/Sony sets. I've had a great experience with Bravia TVs so I'll take one with VRR otherwise LG are probably getting my money - unless they really cock-up their next models.

There are such great BF deals on the 55" LG B9/C9/E9 OLEDs but I'm holding out for for teh 2020 LG/Sony sets. I've had a great experience with Bravia TVs so I'll take one with VRR otherwise LG are probably getting my money - unless they really cock-up their next models.

How is the price of the Sony OLED models in the UK?
In the rest of euroland, Sony's OLEDs carry a ridiculous price premium over similar or more advanced LG TVs (that use the same LG panel).

Should be quite interesting CED this time, HDMI 2.1 in lot of devices etc.
More importantly, with 55-65" OLED TVs going down in price, the LCD TVs with FALD must now go down in price or there's little incentive to get them.

How is the price of the Sony OLED models in the UK?
You're generally looking at around a 25-30% price premium, that said I've donated all my Bravia sets to family and they're still going strong. My current Bravia - an 'X' series from 2014 - gets routine firmware/feature updates five years on. I value Sony's ongoing support for this ancient 'smart' TV.

Was gonna go for Sony AG8 as I can get it pretty cheap on work discount, but now thinking about LG C9.

May not play much games at all, but the hdmi 2.1 on the LG is currently making me lean towards it.
Just can't decide if the big cost difference is truly worth it, even if it does make it more forward looking in my eyes.

Was gonna go for Sony AG8 as I can get it pretty cheap on work discount, but now thinking about LG C9.

May not play much games at all, but the hdmi 2.1 on the LG is currently making me lean towards it.
Just can't decide if the big cost difference is truly worth it, even if it does make it more forward looking in my eyes.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/lg-c9-vs-sony-a8g/802/846

I think there's really no reason to choose the AG8 over the C9.
In fact, the AG8 is closer in panel performance to the cheaper B9, but then the B9 does have HDMI 2.1 (with all the goodies like VRR, official G-Sync, higher refresh rates, eARC, etc.) while the A8G doesn't.
So the A8G supposedly has a 120Hz 4K panel that it can't ever use effectively over 60Hz because the TV is stuck to using HDMI 2.0 input, so its only usage will be for motion compensation.

And this is without even mentioning LG's excellent input lag on both B9 and C9, about half of what you'll find in a Sony.

To be honest, if I was thinking of purchasing a new TV right now around the 1500-1800€ price point, my indecision would be between a 65" B9 and a 55" C9.

I think there's really no reason to choose the AG8 over the C9.
Apart from cost. (should've put this in)
AG8 £935
C9 £1400

Considering how little I game, and I'm sure eyes aren't what they were.... Pretty sure any oled would do me.
But my inner geek is drawn to hdmi 2.1 :runaway:

Reasoning behind C9 instead of B9 is simply that I heard that C upwards get better support with firmware fixes

You're generally looking at around a 25-30% price premium, that said I've donated all my Bravia sets to family and they're still going strong. My current Bravia - an 'X' series from 2014 - gets routine firmware/feature updates five years on. I value Sony's ongoing support for this ancient 'smart' TV.

Heck, my LG TV from 2010 is still going strong. Definitely can't complain about how well it has held up. And it's generally on 12-16 hours a day! :) I'll be passing that on to my father towards the end of this year most likely. So, almost the full 10 years that I expect as a minimum for something like a TV.

Regards,
SB

Heck, my LG TV from 2010 is still going strong. Definitely can't complain about how well it has held up. And it's generally on 12-16 hours a day! :) I'll be passing that on to my father towards the end of this year most likely. So, almost the full 10 years that I expect as a minimum for something like a TV
This is good to hear. Do LG keep the original functionality maintained, things like YouTube apps and so on? They are usually the first to stop working when the host service changes protocols.

Reasoning behind C9 instead of B9 is simply that I heard that C upwards get better support with firmware fixes
The C9 gets significantly higher peak brightness in HDR too.

This is good to hear. Do LG keep the original functionality maintained, things like YouTube apps and so on? They are usually the first to stop working when the host service changes protocols.

I'm not sure. It's hooked up to my home server/HTPC, so all media functions originate from that. I don't even know how many apps it has. Back in 2010, apps were still relatively scarce compared to nowadays.

Regards,
SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back