Battlefield V

Claiming that gamers should all be okay with DICE shitting on Battlefield V's historical accuracy of setting / assets because there's never been historical accuracy of player actions (like you know, in all videogames) was DICE's blatant strawman from last year.
It seems some people insist on using that strawman. That and the theory saying only a vocal minority is angry at the robotic prosthesis woman fighting in WW2, even now that we know BFV was considered a failure despite great review scores.

People just love modern warfare. it's something people connect with. You can see a huge resurgence for the COD series on the recently released MW.

BF3 and BF4 were well received for the same reasons.

oh, it sounds like Dice is about to fuck up this game again. One of the good things about it, is the gun play. They're changing TTK again. Last year there was a huge backlash against the change and they went back on it. Now it's round 2.

This game is abysmal in almost every way. Hands down its the worst game ive played all generation from a technical standpoint.

What technical issues does it have?
Where to start...

-Performance is dreadful. Think Arkham Knight in the bat mobile but much worse
-Any sound not caused directly by you may or may not play
-Hit registration and netcode is completely unreliable
-Broken animation system makes tracking enemies consistently impossible
-No working team balancer or anti cheat whatsoever
-Lots of random issues where things just flat out dont work. Flares not spotting enemies. Tank shells/rockets/c4 just disappearing into some magical void. Randomly getting killed by a grenade from someone across the map.

I could go on and on. Not even mentioning the server browser that doesn't correctly show how many people are actually on the server.

Claiming that gamers should all be okay with DICE shitting on Battlefield V's historical accuracy of setting / assets because there's never been historical accuracy of player actions (like you know, in all videogames) was DICE's blatant strawman from last year.

Those people seem to be OK with experimental weapons, but not with experimental army membership :)

Those people seem to be OK with experimental weapons, but not with experimental army membership :)

Experimental weapons that come in late DLCs for some special levels as opposed to the launch trailer boasting full fledged bionic arms that gave women soldiers super strength to hold high caliber machine guns on all the main levels.

Nice strawman attempt though.

This talk of trying to deny how BFV reveal trailer was kind of a mismatch to to the series usual tone is similar to people that try to justify that bringuing in aliens and space ships into Indiana Jones 4 was perfectly ok. Sure, fantasy is fantasy, and fiction is fiction, but there are certain kinds of poetic licences that have come to be expected in certai genres, and other that are a no-no. This is plainly obvious unless you just don't want to see it.

Yes, I am so stupid for seeing that it is ok to have superhuman men in a game but not superhuman women. I should understand that.

On some maps it stutters at the beginning of the round. Overall the performance goes very well for such a title. What bothers me is that with low graphics settings you get some other advantages (less grass, visibility benefits etc.).

Tthe graphics is much better than in Battlefield 1 but the GI solution failed in some maps. Since the image qualitiy of Battlefield 1, Battlefront 2017 and Battlefield V is flickering a bit the picture quality should also look more polished and cinematic again (like in Battlefront 2015). Finally, I want a sharpening control where I can deactivate all the image sharpening. The oversharpening in Battlefield 1 annoyed me so much that I couldn't play it anymore.

Last edited:
Graphically it looks great though, and RT which is cool. DF thought it was technically one of the best games of 2018.

Thats the only thing going for it.

On some maps it stutters at the beginning of the round. Overall the performance goes very well for such a title. What bothers me is that with low graphics settings you get some other advantages (less grass, visibility benefits etc.).

Tthe graphics is much better than in Battlefield 1 but the GI solution failed in some maps. Since the image qualitiy of Battlefield 1, Battlefront 2017 and Battlefield V is flickering a bit the picture quality should also look more polished and cinematic again (like in Battlefront 2015). Finally, I want a sharpening control where I can deactivate all the image sharpening. The oversharpening in Battlefield 1 annoyed me so much that I couldn't play it anymore.

Ya the highs are above BF1 but the lows are lower and some maps are very meh. The game is clearly unfinished. BF1 was very consistent visually. Also the TAA in frostbite 3 has been changed and is noticeably worse ever since battlefront 2 as you stated. Im very curious why they did this. Battlefront 1 when they finally patched in TAA had the best implementation ive seen in a frostbite 3 title. Actually, battlefront 2 as a whole looks noticeably worse than battlefront 1 IMO. Im not sure how that happened.

Performance for me is awful at all times when any combat is occurring. FPS swings wildly and is accompanied by massive frametime spikes and variations. CPU is just constantly hammered and its irrespective of video settings. I shouldn't have this poor of an experienced on an overclocked 6700K with 32GB of solidly overclocked ram.

Last edited:
It certainly is not, even without RT it does look great, graphics wise.

True, you shouldn't. Maybe it's MP you talk about? 64 players cramped together in small maps could be a problem already in BF3/4.

Those games, as well as BF1 certainly taxed the CPU, but didnt have these wild swings where in an instant, FPS can come crashing down from 120 to 55, then instantly up to 98, then instantly down to 73. All in the time frame of ADS and firing your first shot. Its just awful to play. BF1 was regularly CPU limited for me but performance was very stable with reliable frametimes. Yes, i only buy battlefield games for MP.

I meant the impressive graphics are all the game has going for it. Not that it isnt impressive without RTX.

Those games, as well as BF1 certainly taxed the CPU, but didnt have these wild swings where in an instant, FPS can come crashing down from 120 to 55, then instantly up to 98, then instantly down to 73. All in the time frame of ADS and firing your first shot. Its just awful to play. BF1 was regularly CPU limited for me but performance was very stable with reliable frametimes. Yes, i only buy battlefield games for MP.

I meant the impressive graphics are all the game has going for it. Not that it isnt impressive without RTX.

Ye i agree then, BF has gone downwards since BFBC2, BF3 was somewhat good tho. BF1 i didn't like at all, BF5 doesn't have the same feeling to me as the older BF games. About the FPS, it is better then to lock it to say 60fps, for a more consistend experience. Strangely enough BC2, BF1942/BF2 didn't have those issues with CPU problems, even with 64 people.

BF4 siege of shanghai/hainan TDM with 64 is just a big problem too. It is even a bigger problem on consoles, so yes a CPU problem at large.

This talk of trying to deny how BFV reveal trailer was kind of a mismatch to to the series usual tone is similar to people that try to justify that bringuing in aliens and space ships into Indiana Jones 4 was perfectly ok. Sure, fantasy is fantasy, and fiction is fiction, but there are certain kinds of poetic licences that have come to be expected in certai genres, and other that are a no-no. This is plainly obvious unless you just don't want to see it.
Not necessarily sure that is the best example. I know what you’re going for though.

BFV is still a game; and the game is played by players.

The character model is an avatar. If people feel connected to their avatar and want that avatar to reflect them or their preferences than offering the avatar is a decision based on supporting their player base (disabled/handicapped etc) than it is a decision to be historically accurate.

Night elf makes don’t fight at all btw. That’s why in War 3 the army is all female. No one seemed to be up in arms that males were used in WoW even if lore doesn’t support it.

It’s just for the players connect with the game.

Back