Valve announces Half Life: Alyx, a AAA VR-only game

• Thread starter Deleted member 13524
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 13524

Shamelessly copied from the PC Gaming thread, though I guess the discussion here should be more about what this will do for the VR market rather than the game itself.

VR-only game.

A couple of days ago (prior to this tweet) there was a pastebin leak (I know..) with the following conversation with dorito master Geoff Keighley:

Code:
"but why does this have to be VR only?"

Which you know is a fair concern for people, right? It's like, are they forcing me to buy VR to have the next "Half-Life" experience?
Is that just 'cause you think the opportunity for innovation was sort of in the VR space with this? You're not doing a flat screen
version of this game, right?

Yeah, I mean we would love to be delivering a version of this that you could play with a mouse and a keyboard, but like as we said,
it began as an exploration of VR, (snippet ends)

-

But then again it brings - obviously to this one, and why this, why now? Some people would probably cynically say, oh Valve has to go back to making games now that Epic's chippin' away at Steam, and "Artifact" wasn't necessarily the hit
everyone wanted it to be, (snippet ends)

-
(geoff talking)
March 2020, "Half-Life: Alyx" comin' out, and again, yeah, we'll do "The Final Hours" next year. You know, it's been so fun to do those
with "Half-Life", "Half-Life 2", "Portal", and that will take everyone through really the past decade at Valve and all that you guys have been through, all the experiments that you don't know about, (snippet ends)

-

You can see their whole body-- Respond to the situation.
You know, panicking, dropping clips on the ground as they fumble their weapons 'cause a zombie's in front of them, all
these things, they're just - it's been really fun watching playtests.

Anyway, so yeah, it's been really fun to build this. I think wherever we go next, or whatever platform,
whatever we focus on, I think we're excited-- Come on Robin (walker), say it!
We wanna know why -- No but as you said, the engine is now at a point where it's like, you can do this stuff now, right?

"Yeah, the engine is ready now.
I think it's like Robin
says, we want to put this out
and see how the world reacts to it
before we make any concrete
plans about what we do next."

(snippet ends)

graphically it looks like Blood and Truth on steroids, and with much more interaction with the environment. This game will sell PC headsets !

why the floating hands, couldn't they attach it to an arm

Floating hands will match up to where your actual hands are, so there's no weird discontinuity seeing it in VR.

For arms, they have no idea where your elbows or shoulders are. These vary greatly with people depending on many factors (length of forearm, for example). The end result is that it is VERY weird and disconcerting in VR when your virtual arms aren't in the same place as your actual arms.

Regards,
SB

game is free if you buy any valve vr hard ware (index kit , headset , index controllers)

I am extremely excited and this is the first of 3 Valve VR ip's . Hopefully we have a second release in fall 2020.

Finished alyx yesterday. I think I will play it again but with higher difficulty level at some later date. Next time I will play differently though, rambo style :D First time I went around being scared and careful.

Finished alyx yesterday. I think I will play it again but with higher difficulty level at some later date. Next time I will play differently though, rambo style :D First time I went around being scared and careful.
I"m not done yet , trying to spread it out over quarantine lool. But i think i will play it at the end of the year again with a new video card

I'm on Chapter 5 at the moment. I can't have my head in VR for more than about an hour without discomfort starting.

BTW how did you end up resurrecting this thread manux? ;)

I'm on Chapter 5 at the moment. I can't have my head in VR for more than about an hour without discomfort starting.

BTW how did you end up resurrecting this thread manux? ;)

I suppose by some random accident :/ No idea how, probably just clicked the first thing with alyx on thread name.

$1,000 worth of VR gear needed?

To quote Meatloaf, "I would do anything for love, but I won't do that!".
Nah, this isn't true. A 64gb Oculus Quest works absolutely fine on this game, so it's $400 over the cost of your existing gaming rig. Spend the extra $20 for Virtual Desktop, and then spend about 15 minutes to set yourself up with "SideQuest" so you can load the fully supported (but not allowed on the Oculus store) update to Virtual Desktop which fully integrates SteamVR over wireless. So long as you have a good quality AC Wave 1 router in the house and also have good proximity to it while playing, I've played basically all of Alyx wirelessly downstairs in my open living room area streaming from the bigass gaming rig upstairs.

Virtual Desktop doesn't work for every SteamVR title, but it works great for the ones I play :)

Back