Stadia, Google Game Streaming platform [2019-2021]

expected more from Google.
Apparently you don't have much interaction with Google products. I guess you're assuming because they're such a large company that they will put a lot of money and resources into their products? Unfortunately the opposite is true and many of the things they release are barebones and then iterate with features, very slowly, over time. Investment into the product is based on uptake and obviously any potential earning benefits.

Really seems like that they really want to get out before Microsoft release Xcloud I see no other reason for them to release such a barbones product.
I think it's a mistake though, expected more from Google.

I agree with you on the opinion it was a mistake. But reggarding expectations of Google, I expected no less of them. This launch is precisely Google being Google.

Yeah I see how it's Google being Google but I thought they would release a more complete product because they competing with entrenched incumbents.

Once again I will preach my preach:yep2:
Content will be king and that's why Microsoft is going all out on getting people to subscribe to game pass and even Sony seems to be buying and expanding there studio's recently.

Has google ever 'launched' a finished product? I am uncertain why people are surprised at the state of stadia at launch. It's the google way.
They're more of the type of starting everything small and then they only put their weight into it if it gets lots of adoption.

Looking at Stadia, it seems the thing died at the negotiations table with videogame publishers / developers, and it'll probably be terminated before it ever gets the chance to show off its technical prowess (assuming it exists).
EA, Activision and many others are completely absent from the list of publishers. The launch list is anemic in size and variety, with a bunch of indie smartphone games that are there just to increase the count.
The Stadia Pro, supposedly the Plus / Gold competitor service, is starting with Destiny 2 which is.. a free 2 play game for Steam users (???). The value proposition compared to PS Now is ridiculous.

The Stadia Pro, supposedly the Plus / Gold competitor service, is starting with Destiny 2 which is.. a free 2 play game for Steam users (???).
Well the base game is free but I believe the version you buy with Stadia is the full package?

Well the base game is free but I believe the version you buy with Stadia is the full package?
I don't blame Tot.
Bungie has made an absolute disaster of understanding the transition.
What you get with Destiny New Light
What you don't
What you get with Shadow keep
And if you had the base game up to Y1 or Y2 - what you were given moving into Y3. I believe they were handing out Y2 content for Y1 players at the end of Y2 1-2 weeks before Shadowkeep launched.
etc.

It's a mess.

Yeah I see how it's Google being Google but I thought they would release a more complete product because they competing with entrenched incumbents.
Yes, this is the reason to expect better. Unlike a typical Google project dabbling with new things, this is a competing product going up against solid rivals. A half-arsed attempt won't get anywhere and any executive decision maker could see that and should, if they were competent, either pull the plug or invest in it properly.

Yes, this is the reason to expect better. Unlike a typical Google project dabbling with new things, this is a competing product going up against solid rivals. A half-arsed attempt won't get anywhere and any executive decision maker could see that and should, if they were competent, either pull the plug or invest in it properly.

Nod, their piecemeal strategy works somewhat kind of OK when there isn't entrenched competitors. Google search and G-mail are their only successful products that succeeded in that environment, IMO. Android was basically only competing with a fledgling iPhone. Google Docs didn't have much competition from online cloud based document editing services. They bought YouTube which was already popular before they were bought.

I suppose technically there isn't a 800 lb. game streaming gorilla yet, but game streaming is already facing an uphill battle against the 3 console makers not to mention mobile devices (smart phones and tablets) as well.

IMO, they really need to be launching as close to a full fledged product rather than something that is more of a proof of concept.

Will this be something like Google Glasses and fail relatively quickly? Will it be something like YouTube Game Streaming and die a long slow death? Will it be something like G-mail and take multiple years to finally unroll all promised features (by which time they'll likely be passed up by their competitors unlike Gmail?).

I don't think this is a market where they have the luxury of doing a slow rollout as they've done with most of their products that eventually became established products.

Regards,
SB

Nod, their piecemeal strategy works somewhat kind of OK when there isn't entrenched competitors. Google search and G-mail are their only successful products that succeeded in that environment, IMO. Android was basically only competing with a fledgling iPhone. Google Docs didn't have much competition from online cloud based document editing services. They bought YouTube which was already popular before they were bought.

I suppose technically there isn't a 800 lb. game streaming gorilla yet, but game streaming is already facing an uphill battle against the 3 console makers not to mention mobile devices (smart phones and tablets) as well.

IMO, they really need to be launching as close to a full fledged product rather than something that is more of a proof of concept.

Will this be something like Google Glasses and fail relatively quickly? Will it be something like YouTube Game Streaming and die a long slow death? Will it be something like G-mail and take multiple years to finally unroll all promised features (by which time they'll likely be passed up by their competitors unlike Gmail?).

I don't think this is a market where they have the luxury of doing a slow rollout as they've done with most of their products that eventually became established products.

Regards,
SB

Company culture is a hard thing to change...

Stadia tech review: the best game streaming yet, but far from ready
Can it really deliver 4K - and what about lag?
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-stadia-tech-review

fairly comprehensive review.

Resolution seems off according to DF Pixel counting puts Stadia 4K output to be 1440p upscaled to 4K.

"Again, we'll be looking at the specific visual feature set of the Stadia port in future, but first impressions suggest a good level of similarity in terms of specific settings with the Xbox One X version. Meanwhile, the Stadia port of RDR2 also seems to be running at the same 30 frames per second frame-rate as well."

Last edited:
Google Stadia launch review: Gaming’s “future” looks rough in the present
Google's game streaming is too limited and too unreliable, for too little benefit.

The Good
  • Over a wired Ethernet connection, streaming feels a lot like local play.
  • Stadia controller is solid and well-built.
  • 4K streams on Chromecast look very sharp under ideal Internet conditions.
  • Starting games without the need for a download is pretty neat.
The Bad
  • Wi-Fi performance can be extremely inconsistent
  • Chrome browser streams are limited to 1080p (for now) and look worse than similar resolution running locally.
  • A vast array of missing and "coming soon" features.
  • Up front/monthly costs don't provide much savings over a console (which can do in-home streaming).
The Ugly
  • The prospect of paying full price for games that only last as long as Google supports the service.
Verdict: Early adopters feel like they're getting a beta product here. Wait until next year to see if Google can work out the kinks and prove the service's longevity.

Full Review Article available at: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019...ngs-future-but-in-the-present-it-looks-rough/

And not artifacts from streaming compression?

Compressing a 4K framebuffer isn't going to make the pixel count look like a 1080p or 1440p frame.

You're right. I just took a look at the EuroGamer comparison shots. My eyes are bleeding now. To steal a line from one of the commentators there "N64 called, it wants its vaseline filter back". Reminds me of the Quincunx AA from decades ago. The blur...

This is really concerning for Google when even 4.2 TFlops PS4 4Pro produces better image quality than the 10.7 TFlops Stadia. NextGen PS5 and NextBox have nothing to worry about if this is all Google can deliver.

May be additional findings from DigitalFoundry coming out ...

Interesting to see Stadia RDR2 capture out there running at an unstable 60fps. A bit tired here and Stadia barely runs on my home connection right now for some reason, but Saturday night's Chromecast captures are indeed 30fps, while Chrome browser output seem to be aiming for 60.

Possible issues with Chromecast output or indeed capture, but possibly performance/quality modes linked to resolution output a la PS4 Pro? Only Chromecast runs at 4K, the web output is 1080p. Will look into this tomorrow.

Back