Death Stranding (DC) [PS4, PS5, PC]

4srjoo.jpg
Those tear drops!!! Amazing how they made this in a real time scene

Watching some people play the game.

Have to say the motorbike they are using to get around is janky as hell.

Also, I'm getting the feeling that if anyone but Kojima made this, the game would get panned to hell and back.

It's only doing well because people like Kojima, not because the game is good. But maybe I'm wrong, it's still early in the game ("only" about 8 hours or so :p), maybe the gameplay and presentation get better.

The music is fantastic though.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
The bike sequences (and overall gameplay animation) look very stiff yes, very gamey.
That contrast with the excellent graphics and cutscenes.

Watching some people play the game.

Have to say the motorbike they are using to get around is janky as hell.

Also, I'm getting the feeling that if anyone but Kojima made this, the game would get panned to hell and back.

It's only doing well because people like Kojima, not because the game is good. But maybe I'm wrong, it's still early in the game ("only" about 8 hours or so :p), maybe the gameplay and presentation get better.

The music is fantastic though.

Regards,
SB
8 hours watching others play?

I've yet to get this game, but when I do, I'm going to pretend I'm playing a game set in Yorkshire and listen to this on repeat:

Edit: and this just before each chapter:

Those tear drops!!! Amazing how they made this in a real time scene
Yeah and it really makes the player more immersed in the world and story by looking at believable characters of this quality. There's reason devs are pouring so much computation resources into character visuals, it's a key ingredient of a strong narrative driven experience.

Loving the game so far, about 4 hours in. I think this is going to be one of my favorite games this gen.

Looking at Twitter, eeeh?

Death stranding's launch got tons of congratulations from tons of people and company Twitter account.

Remedy, mm, sucker punch, etc.

One thing made me chuckle, konami US and Europe followed Kojima-san's Assistant on Twitter. But konami Japan didn't.

One valuable thing I learned that I didn't learn in school.

If we go by the players location and the markers as he connects installations to the network...

The United States is only a few miles across. :p

Regards,
SB

Terrain rendering and post-processing are definitely outstanding in DS

It certainly is pretty good.

But it better be, the landscapes are devoid of almost anything. That frees up so many resources that they better be using it for something. Sort of like Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, except there it's trying to recreate the feel of a world that is more reflective of reality than you find in almost all open world games. Here, you have a similar dedication to portraying a dead world where life struggles to survive.

Nevermind that part of the reason for that is that you can't have those level of graphics in an open world (on those respective systems) while also having dense scenes of anything other than landscape...in the case of Death Stranding even so far as to have no vegetation for the most part other than ground cover (which is likely only using shader assets).

Thematically it fits the story the game is trying to tell, so you can't hold it against the game for having vast empty landscapes of the same thing over and over and over again.

After the first hour or so, I find the landscape almost as dull as the gameplay. After you got introduced to the "forest" like biome the landscape got slightly interesting again but that quickly faded with the endless drudgery of it all.

Obviously not my thing. But I do admire their commitment to ensuring that it fits thematically with the story. IE - varied landscapes would be out of place as would most roaming entities (humanity, animals, etc.).

What I find enthralling, however, is the story. And even then the story obviously isn't for everyone. And you basically have to put your brain on pause when immersing yourself in the story as much of it makes no sense, even within the framework set by the games story.

But that said, the human element within the odd story is enthralling for me. But I don't know if I can take the drudgery of the rest of the title I order to experience the story to the end. The only thing that makes it slightly tolerable is the commentary of the person streaming the game.

IMO, this game is perfect proof that Kojima should give up making games and immerse himself into making Serial titles for TV, Netflix, Amazon, someone. I don't think a Movie would do his storytelling justice. 2-3 hours is far too short a timeframe for him to proper tell the kinds of stories he wants to tell.

Would love to see what he could do with a 12, 24, or 64 episode series.

Regards,
SB

It certainly is pretty good.

But it better be, the landscapes are devoid of almost anything. That frees up so many resources that they better be using it for something. Sort of like Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, except there it's trying to recreate the feel of a world that is more reflective of reality than you find in almost all open world games. Here, you have a similar dedication to portraying a dead world where life struggles to survive.

Nevermind that part of the reason for that is that you can't have those level of graphics in an open world (on those respective systems) while also having dense scenes of anything other than landscape...in the case of Death Stranding even so far as to have no vegetation for the most part other than ground cover (which is likely only using shader assets).

Thematically it fits the story the game is trying to tell, so you can't hold it against the game for having vast empty landscapes of the same thing over and over and over again.

After the first hour or so, I find the landscape almost as dull as the gameplay. After you got introduced to the "forest" like biome the landscape got slightly interesting again but that quickly faded with the endless drudgery of it all.

Obviously not my thing. But I do admire their commitment to ensuring that it fits thematically with the story. IE - varied landscapes would be out of place as would most roaming entities (humanity, animals, etc.).

What I find enthralling, however, is the story. And even then the story obviously isn't for everyone. And you basically have to put your brain on pause when immersing yourself in the story as much of it makes no sense, even within the framework set by the games story.

But that said, the human element within the odd story is enthralling for me. But I don't know if I can take the drudgery of the rest of the title I order to experience the story to the end. The only thing that makes it slightly tolerable is the commentary of the person streaming the game.

IMO, this game is perfect proof that Kojima should give up making games and immerse himself into making Serial titles for TV, Netflix, Amazon, someone. I don't think a Movie would do his storytelling justice. 2-3 hours is far too short a timeframe for him to proper tell the kinds of stories he wants to tell.

Would love to see what he could do with a 12, 24, or 64 episode series.

Regards,
SB
So did you watch it on Youtube like you usually do ?

So did you watch it on Youtube like you usually do ?

A combination of Twitch streams and watching and trying it over at a friend's house on a PS4-P.

I initially tried to do the same thing with my friend as I did with him for our God of War (2018) co-op playthrough, but the gameplay was so incredibly dull that I couldn't stand it for more than a few minutes. I tried again after he'd gotten about 12 hours into the game and had more things to play with, but the gameplay was still incredibly dull.

Also, he's unsure if he's going to finish the game. While he initially enjoyed the gameplay loop for the first 6-8 hours (mostly the looting and upgrading), he's now starting to feel apathy set it.

He's going to try to finish it because of the story, but he's unsure if he'll be able to do it.

Regards,
SB

I initially tried to do the same thing with my friend as I did with him for our God of War (2018) co-op playthrough, but the gameplay was so incredibly dull that I couldn't stand it for more than a few minutes. I tried again after he'd gotten about 12 hours into the game and had more things to play with, but the gameplay was still incredibly dull.

Atleast the graphics are nice....Same experience here, was about 4 hours in anyway, most of the big AAA aren't really worth it, and before i (or SB) get jumped, it's a strictly personal experience :)

Back